Singapore Grand Prix

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2015, 3:18 am

Programs: BAEC and Virgin Flying Club
Each to their own. I am a massive F1 fan and had a great time despite being very ill on that weekend. The atmosphere was great and thanks to a TV screen I COULD keep up with what was going on.
Old May 11, 2015, 3:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by aster
This is one of the few sports that is much better to watch on tv than to go to the stands. It's quite boring as heck too, because all you get to see is a small portion of the track. Kind of like watching a footie game and not seeing the whole field but only a 10% of the playing area.

And without tv screens and the info provided the race would be unwatchable as after a while you'd get lost as to who's in the lead.

Fair enough if you go just for the atmosphere (the Singapore GP won't deliver it though - better off going to one of the European GPs), but overall give yourself the grand experience by watching the full tv coverage instead.
In general I agree with this - it's better (and cheaper!) to stay home and watch on TV. But....I disagree about Singapore. The atmosphere for the last few years there has been electric. And the seats we had in the Pit Grandstand last year couldn't have been beaten....way better than watching on TV! To be only 8 seats away from track, right opposite position 6 on the grid, we had an amazing view of everything going on including Rosberg failing to start on the warm-up lap (huge gasps of delight from the pro-Hamilton crowd) and Rosberg retiring in the pits (huge cheers!) It was the best GP I've ever been by a long way to the extent that this year, we're not going as I don't think it can ever match up!
Old May 11, 2015, 6:52 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
But it's still a gimmick, because all you're seeing is just a very small fragment of the track. No other sport could trick fans into such a deal, not football, not tennis, etc.

But hey, if anyone wants to splash out for the atmosphere alone but get a much, much worse experience of viewing the entire race overall, then be my guest.

I went to the very FIRST Singapore GP ever. I lived in Singapore for many years since then, and have never gone to any of the subsequent races. This is simply a sport where tv coverage gives it the most justice.
Old May 11, 2015, 7:32 am

Programs: A3,BA
The F1 on-track experience is... an experience.
Up to some years ago, you could buy a mobile TV to watch the race and to some extend it did the trick. I don't think that is an option now.

Listening to the loud noise (not anymore ), smelling, pretending that you care who will win (F1 fans do care but you can easily sit besides a Ferrari fan wearing McLaren apparel), pointlessly cheering for drivers when they pass by (nobody could hear you- now probably they do) is pure fun.
Saying that it is not worth it (for a Motorsports fan) to be there is like saying to an aviation fan "you don't need to feel the GE90 come to life, you can watch a youtube clip, it's almost the same". Or "fly for fun? bahhh...too boring, watch it on youtube".

That said, I do agree that you don't actually go there to watch the race since F1 race is mostly a TV spectacle.

ps. Also flying this year for the SingaporeGP and the A350
Old May 11, 2015, 8:06 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by jousis
That said, I do agree that you don't actually go there to watch the race since F1 race is mostly a TV spectacle.
I would add that even at the race most of the time you are actually looking at the big tv screens. So to me it would be like going to a football game, being stuck somewhere between the toilets and the stand itself so that you only get a 5% glimpse of the field, and mainly looking at all the action on a screen up by the ceiling that happens to be showing the match.

Been there, done that, nothing special to be honest. The Singapore GP is boring too unless someone messes up, because otherwise it's not a circuit where you will see any overtaking action and major battles on the track. It could certainly do with a bit of rain to spice things up...
Old May 11, 2015, 8:18 am

Programs: A3,BA
Race day is -for me- the most boring of all. That's why I don't find any value in Sunday-only tickets.

Depending on the track...
On Thursday you can walk the pits, watch up close the preparations, get autographs, etc.
On Friday, you can roam around the track and sit everywhere you want watching the tests of all the support races plus F1 from various angles, take photos, etc.
Saturday has many support races/test/quali to watch.
Old May 11, 2015, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by aster
Been there, done that, nothing special to be honest. The Singapore GP is boring too unless someone messes up, because otherwise it's not a circuit where you will see any overtaking action and major battles on the track. It could certainly do with a bit of rain to spice things up...
Particulary the last GP was a rather boring race, without much action. If you already wish for a mess up, thats speaks for itself. I will give it a miss this year.
Old May 12, 2015, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by SQ325
Particulary the last GP was a rather boring race, without much action. If you already wish for a mess up, thats speaks for itself. I will give it a miss this year.
The last Singapore GP?? Boring? Wow! We clearly look for different things in a GP. Given it was the pivotal race where Hamilton took over (and subsequently held onto) leadership in the world championship due to issues with Rosberg's car (all of which we had a great view of from the Pit Grandstand), I found it to be an amazing race....but that was because I was sitting with the action going on right in front of me trackside and opposite the Mercedes pits. If I'd been at home watching TV, or been elsewhere on the track, or I wasn't a Hamilton fan, I probably would would have found it a lot less exciting. However, in my case, I found it to be an amazing race and have fantastic memories. Worth every penny!

OP, don't let the miserable posters on this thread put you off. As a former expat who was living in Asia, I know a LOT of people who go to the Singapore GP (GP fans and non-GP fans) every year and the reason they keep going back is because they have a great time!
Old May 12, 2015, 2:04 am

A boring 2014 Grand Prix? Are you mental?! It had such a great mix of strategies and action. Lewis did the extra stop which put him behing but meant he could push flat out to the end. Great racing. That doesnt happen much these days in the days of managing tyres and driving to a delta. They kept giving him fresh rubber and let him drive to his natural ability, not tie him back with tyre deg.
Old May 12, 2015, 7:32 pm

Programs: SQ*G, SPG Platinum, FPC Premier
The rate at which the groupies here are giving themselves validation speaks for itself. To the extent of using "stupid" on people who don't think the same way lol. Grow up!
Old May 13, 2015, 1:56 am

If you don't want to go or like it then fine but people have no need to say that those who enjoy the experience are wrong. I'm sure there are things you like to do that others would say is pointless and i'm sure you would defend the fact you like to do these things so maybe someone else needs to "grow up".
Old May 13, 2015, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by revatron
...Are you mental?! ...
Mind your language.

I just have a different opinion (and probably have just seen a different race), just respect that. I just prefer the drivers showing their skills in the race rather than the teams showing their strategies on the pit lane.

Originally Posted by roverkt
The rate at which the groupies here are giving themselves validation speaks for itself. To the extent of using "stupid" on people who don't think the same way lol. Grow up!
Iam not sure why you refer to people as "stupid" or "groupie" just because they dont share your passion.

Originally Posted by revatron
If you don't want to go or like it then fine but people have no need to say that those who enjoy the experience are wrong. I'm sure there are things you like to do that others would say is pointless and i'm sure you would defend the fact you like to do these things so maybe someone else needs to "grow up".
This forum ist about sharing experience. I shared mine.

Just for the record, I didnt comment on your view.
Old May 13, 2015, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by bibbju
As a former expat who was living in Asia, I know a LOT of people who go to the Singapore GP (GP fans and non-GP fans) every year and the reason they keep going back is because they have a great time!
....and because tickets are sponsored
Old May 14, 2015, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by SQ325
....and because tickets are sponsored
Big assumption.....and wrong assumption. My friends/coworkers/acquaintances and I all paid our own way. I know a few people who get hospitality but 99% of the expats I know who go to GPs in Singapore, KL, Macau, wherever pay for it themselves. Some might use points for flights etc if they're lucky but that's as close to "sponsored" as it gets.
Old May 14, 2015, 6:26 am

Give it up friend, there are some people who crap over everything that other people in this world like. Many of them are on these boards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.