Search

Easy local chow close to Shangri-La

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2015, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

We'll be in Singapore for 2 nights only, at the Shangri-la. Our first night is a loss after a 29 hour journey, but on night two we have sort of plans with friends who are a bit flakey so I'm looking for a backup plan. Great local food within striking distance. Ideas?
Old Apr 1, 2015, 1:06 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by milepig
We'll be in Singapore for 2 nights only, at the Shangri-la. Our first night is a loss after a 29 hour journey, but on night two we have sort of plans with friends who are a bit flakey so I'm looking for a backup plan. Great local food within striking distance. Ideas?
In 'striking distance' - nothing. You are in the middle of the Orchard rd. The acceptable alternative is foodcourt at ION Orchard.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K, SQ SilverKris, DL MM-Silver
Do a bit of research regarding what dishes you want to try. Ask the concierge, receptionist, taxi stand attendant, taxi driver, anyone, what there favorites are - EVERYONE will have an opinion.

Take a taxi and go. Have cash. Maxwell near Chinatown is good. Lavendar is good, but I think it is closed for redevelopment. I personally liked Bukit Merah View, Zion riverside, and Tiong Bahru. Gluttons Bay is supposed to be good. East Cost Lagoon Food Village is good, but taxis for return can be more challenging.

Geylang has excellent food, but is storefronts rather than stalls, within a more "colorful" neighborhood.

Avoid Newton. Overpriced, mediocre food, tourist trap.

NOTHING is very far in Singapore. Anything is a reasonable cab fare away.

http://www.makansutra.com/
Old Apr 1, 2015, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JHattery
Do a bit of research regarding what dishes you want to try. Ask the concierge, receptionist, taxi stand attendant, taxi driver, anyone, what there favorites are - EVERYONE will have an opinion.

Take a taxi and go. Have cash. Maxwell near Chinatown is good. Lavendar is good, but I think it is closed for redevelopment. I personally liked Bukit Merah View, Zion riverside, and Tiong Bahru. Gluttons Bay is supposed to be good. East Cost Lagoon Food Village is good, but taxis for return can be more challenging.

Geylang has excellent food, but is storefronts rather than stalls, within a more "colorful" neighborhood.

Avoid Newton. Overpriced, mediocre food, tourist trap.

NOTHING is very far in Singapore. Anything is a reasonable cab fare away.

http://www.makansutra.com/
Thanks - I'm rapidly understanding that Food is a hotly discussed topic in Singapore!
Old Apr 1, 2015, 8:49 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Yes. And distances are so short that if your idea of "striking distance" is a 15min cab ride, then practically 70% of singapore is open to you.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by gilbertaue
Yes. And distances are so short that if your idea of "striking distance" is a 15min cab ride, then practically 70% of singapore is open to you.
Kinda interesting situation - one might end up spending $10 on food/drink and $40 on taxi on round trip. That's why I suggested to go ION or ISETAN - there are good options there as well.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 7:48 pm
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC

In this crazy city, where people queue 45mins for their favorite food, what is a $40 taxi fare to have the "bestest [sic] nasi lemak" that costs only $4.50.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by gilbertaue
In this crazy city, where people queue 45mins for their favorite food, what is a $40 taxi fare to have the "bestest [sic] nasi lemak" that costs only $4.50.
Well, then you are heading towards Changi Village and queue up for 45 min to the stall at the beginning of the middle row there.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: UA GS/1K, SQ SilverKris, DL MM-Silver
Originally Posted by invisible
Kinda interesting situation - one might end up spending $10 on food/drink and $40 on taxi on round trip. That's why I suggested to go ION or ISETAN - there are good options there as well.
Most round trip taxi fares to/from areas closer to the CBD (ie NOT Changi, Woodlands, Jurong, etc.) will run S$20-25 tops, outside of significant surcharge periods (particularly late night). Considering you will "split" that fare between at least 2 people, it's emminently affordable. $10-15 taxi, plus maybe S$10-15 in food & bev (generously, unless you go for chili crab or tiger shrimp) makes for a pretty reasonable dinner out.

As far as mall food courts, I found the ones in Raffles City and Great World to have pretty decent selection and to be very tourist friendly. Raffles City is more accessible, having an MRT stop, and also has far more variety of shopping. Other more "local" malls (Far East Plaza, Peninsula Shopping Center, etc.) are more "authentic and rustic" but might be more challenging for the squeamish as they aren't all prettified and shiny.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.