Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Name airport after the late Lee Kuan Yew!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2015, 4:55 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Living people should not have airports named after them, like Bill Clinton or George H.W. Bush. That's for dead people.

Recently, the founder of Singapore, Lee Kuan Yew, died. Since the Republic of Singapore Air Force (RSAF) has a military base in the U.S. near Boise, Idaho, that's a place to start.....

LKY Airport (Boise, Idaho).

or

Lee Airport

or

Lee Kuan Yew Airport

I favor the first. Write to them! http://www.iflyboise.com/airport-guide/contact-us/
Old Mar 26, 2015, 4:57 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving thread to the Singapore Forum.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Mar 26, 2015, 5:33 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Box5
Living people should not have airports named after them, like Bill Clinton or George H.W. Bush. That's for dead people.

Recently, the founder of Singapore, Lee Kuan Yew, died. Since the Republic of Singapore Air Force (RSAF) has a military base in the U.S. near Boise, Idaho, that's a place to start.....

LKY Airport (Boise, Idaho).

or

Lee Airport

or

Lee Kuan Yew Airport

I favor the first. Write to them! http://www.iflyboise.com/airport-guide/contact-us/
RSAF does not "have a military base" there. The US Air Force's Mountain Home Air Force Base, Idaho, hosts a joint training squadron to train RSAF F-15SG aircrew and maintainers.

http://www.mountainhome.af.mil/news/...p?id=123149991

Why wouldn't SIN airport be the prime candidate to be named after him?

(btw even where airports are re-named, it's certainly not common to change the IATA identifier...and LKY already designates a small airfield in Tanzania.)
Old Mar 27, 2015, 3:20 am

Programs: SPG LTP, HH D
I'd rather not rename Changi Airport. Too many things in Singapore can be attributed to him, one way or another, more or less.

I'd rather limit it to those like good governance (e.g. LKY School of Public Policy which already bears his name), the gardens (Gardens by the Bay and Botanical Gardens, since he has long been associated with the garden city image of Singapore - tree planting day etc.), maybe even anti-corruption (e.g. the HQ of CPIB).

Personally I feel renaming an airport after some political leader a bit cliched.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 4:47 am

We will find out soon, maybe as soon as Sunday during the official funeral service, what will be done to remember Mr Lee Kuan Yew.

Meantime, we mourn.

Old Mar 27, 2015, 6:07 am

In Cabinet, Lee Kuan Yew expressly requested that his house be demolished after his death, so it can't become a place of worship. I can't see him happy about having airports etc named after him either -- Singapore as a whole is already his monument.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 4:05 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 84fiero

Why wouldn't SIN airport be the prime candidate to be named after him?

(btw even where airports are re-named, it's certainly not common to change the IATA identifier...and LKY already designates a small airfield in Tanzania.)
Changi Airport has a good enough name already.

Originally Posted by jpatokal
In Cabinet, Lee Kuan Yew expressly requested that his house be demolished after his death, so it can't become a place of worship. I can't see him happy about having airports etc named after him either -- Singapore as a whole is already his monument.
That's why it's better to that Boise re-name their airport after him. It would remind people who wouldn't have known about LKY and also continue to honor him.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:55 pm

The crowds turning up at the Padang, waiting their turn to pay their last respects at the Parliament House.

I paid my last respects. I made a video of the experience here. Indeed, Lee Kuan Yew's greatest contribution is Singapore. Singapore is his monument.
https://youtu.be/-Z3_-P-ju2U

On balance, I think it would not be a good idea to rename Changi Airport. Changi Airport has built up an incredible brand name over the years and there is no real need to change that. Hopefully the Government will have thought of a better idea by now.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 2:22 pm

Programs: Marco Polo
There are plenty of other ways to honour him. I think it would be unwise to rename Changi airport at this stage as it's built up quite the reputation under that name.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by KrazyTrain18
There are plenty of other ways to honour him. I think it would be unwise to rename Changi airport at this stage as it's built up quite the reputation under that name.
Changi is something of a worldwide brand, even though one uneasily shared with episodes of judicial killing.

I wouldn't have thought Lee's name would do anything to enhance the international recognition of Singapore (Changi) airport.

After all, Lee was no Kennedy nor a John Paul II; not a Chopin or John Lennon. He was honoured by Putin and admired by other authoritarian regimes: but perhaps too tainted to have a place at the international top table.

Perhaps better to name something uniquely Singaporean after him: suggestions?
Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:34 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
After all, Lee was no Kennedy nor a John Paul II; not a Chopin or John Lennon. He was honoured by Putin and admired by other authoritarian regimes: but perhaps too tainted to have a place at the international top table.
Doesn't this sort of nonsense belong in OMNI? Moderators? Where art thou?

Last edited by crazycrab955; Mar 31, 2015 at 1:21 am Reason: brevity
Old Mar 31, 2015, 5:36 am

Changi is something of a worldwide brand, even though one uneasily shared with episodes of judicial killing.

I wouldn't have thought Lee's name would do anything to enhance the international recognition of Singapore (Changi) airport.

Perhaps better to name something uniquely Singaporean after him: suggestions?
Please. Gongs are cheap. While I don't like the idea of renaming Changi or any airport after a pol, what makes LKY less deserving than say Sukarno or King Abdulaziz Al Saud to have an airport named after him?

LKY admired Ronald Reagan. Should the Americans not have renamed DCA for the Gipper (well I think they shouldn't have but there are loads of other reasons why not...)?

And John Lennon really... You're saying a leader who helped lift his countrymen out of poverty and led the building of a prosperous nation and a thriving economy out of an island with no natural resources or adequate water supplies is not the equal of a martyred Scouser who was admittedly one of the finest musicians of his generation? Not even the same league, not even the same sport...
Old Mar 31, 2015, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by dannybhoy
And John Lennon really... a martyred Scouser who was admittedly one of the finest musicians of his generation? Not even the same league, not even the same sport...
But you're missing the point. Lennon - and his band - were some of the most well known people and most popular performers on the planet. Liverpool airport can hope that some of the international cachet can attach itself to the city and its airport.

Outside the region, Lee was virtually unknown to the public.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 8:10 am

But you're missing the point. Lennon - and his band - were some of the most well known people and most popular performers on the planet. Liverpool airport can hope that some of the international cachet can attach itself to the city and its airport.

Outside the region, Lee was virtually unknown to the public.
When the region in question is Asia with two of the most populated countries in the world, 2 of the top 3 economies, etc., it's probably good enough for S'pore. Considering the context of S'pore, little more than 10% of London's square area within the M25 and only 50 years of independence, it's better than could be reasonably expected. I'm pretty sure that no one in 1960s Singapore would have expected this.

And while Liverpool holds on to the international cachet of its most famous son presumably to erase the Merseyside stereotype of Toxteth estates, hub-cap nickers and street urchins bricking trains, in the case of S'pore should it decide to rename Changi airport to LKY Changi Airport, it would be more of an effort to honour the country's founding leader and builder.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by dannybhoy
When the region in question is Asia with two of the most populated countries in the world, 2 of the top 3 economies, etc., it's probably good enough for S'pore. Considering the context of S'pore, little more than 10% of London's square area within the M25 and only 50 years of independence, it's better than could be reasonably expected. I'm pretty sure that no one in 1960s Singapore would have expected this.

And while Liverpool holds on to the international cachet of its most famous son presumably to erase the Merseyside stereotype of Toxteth estates, hub-cap nickers and street urchins bricking trains, in the case of S'pore should it decide to rename Changi airport to LKY Changi Airport, it would be more of an effort to honour the country's founding leader and builder.
The late Mr LKY wasn't fond of having monuments named after him. His response was 'Remember Ozymandias."

His grandson delivered a lovely eulogy which made reference to this point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.