Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Which luxury hotel using points? (SPG vs IHG vs Hyatt)

Old Feb 27, 2015, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: 2mm+ UAL | Lifetime Titanium Marriott | Globalist Hyatt | SpireElite IHG

Okay, is a liberal use of the term 'luxury', but aiming as high as I can with points.

Am traveling to SIN 23-27Mar, coming from 9days in BKK/HKT/Pattaya.
I've not been to SIN in 15+yrs, when I stayed at the Fullerton.

Am mid-40s, traveling solo. Figure all my party energy will have been extracted during the Pattaya Music Festival, so lower key, higher end part of my trip in SIN. Primarily interested in cultural & religious sightseeing, some shopping, and eating chili crab!

This is my first honest-to-god proper 2week holiday since I don't know when... college? So am going as high-end as I can make happen using all these points I rack up traveling for work, so flying GlobalFirst on UAL & Thai Air, staying in a suite at Westin BKK, etc.

I'm SPG/Lifetime Plat, IHG/Plat but no Ambassador, Hyatt/Plat (falling out of Diamond tomorrow), so looking at
* Grand Hyatt
* StRegis
* Intercontinental
* new Westin
(both Holiday Inns & the Sheraton have so-so reviews on TA, but correct me if that's an incorrect impression)

All have availability for points, and I have so many points, let's just say the cost is equal, so remove from consideration.
Any feedback on the properties as they compare, whether location, or treatment/amenity level as a Platinum on a point stay?
Am also amenable to staying in 2 properties over the 4days.

Thanks for the advice!

Last edited by KevinS; Mar 5, 2015 at 8:40 am
Old Feb 28, 2015, 3:34 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
All of those are a step down from the better half of the Fullerton which has some unique suites due to the architecture of the building. The new Westin is probably the pick of the bunch.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 9:00 pm
Suspended

Id go with SPG only since you wont get free lounge access with Hyatt or IHG, but will with SPG = also free breakfast. I believe the Sheraton is going down 1 level in Cat . I would go with The Westin unless they dont have a lounge then Id go with The Sher
Old Mar 1, 2015, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: 2mm+ UAL | Lifetime Titanium Marriott | Globalist Hyatt | SpireElite IHG
The SGS has some savagely negative reviews up on the SPG website, which caused me to look elsewhere.

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...propertyID=471
Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:09 am
Community Director Emerita

I have stayed at both the Intercontinental and the Hyatt, both with lounge access. I prefer the IC, in part because of its location. However, the Hyatt is a very pleasant hotel with different benefits of its location. If you choose the Hyatt, you can use additional points that give lounge access. I've just checked and it is 27K points per night instead of 20K. I'm unaware of any way to use additional points at the IC for the lounge use.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 1:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I have stayed at both the Intercontinental and the Hyatt, both with lounge access. I prefer the IC, in part because of its location. However, the Hyatt is a very pleasant hotel with different benefits of its location. If you choose the Hyatt, you can use additional points that give lounge access. I've just checked and it is 27K points per night instead of 20K. I'm unaware of any way to use additional points at the IC for the lounge use.
You can't use for points for lounge access at IC. They'll offer it for a fee though -rack is about S$100 I think but if you have status they'll discount.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by KevinS
The SGS has some savagely negative reviews up on the SPG website, which caused me to look elsewhere.

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...propertyID=471
True but for me having access to a lounge and free breakfast late checkout at times is worth putting up with a so-so hotel.If you said you were a RA with IC or Diamond with Hyatt, then I would have answered differently. I hate having to pay for what would be given to me for $0 elsewhere
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by craz
True but for me having access to a lounge and free breakfast late checkout at times is worth putting up with a so-so hotel.
It's both a so-so hotel and in a somewhat awkward location -- nothing nearby except the tout-infested Newton food centre, plus a long hike to Orchard. Any of the others would be better on both counts.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jpatokal
It's both a so-so hotel and in a somewhat awkward location -- nothing nearby except the tout-infested Newton food centre, plus a long hike to Orchard. Any of the others would be better on both counts.
Isnt it down the block from the Hyatt and Marriott? Its walkable to the buses to JB at least imo.

Everyone has a different set of wants and needs, generally I try to stay where I have some status that will yield some benfits that Id have to pay for elsewhere. I even think The Sher is going down 1 cat in a couple of weeks, but SIN is definitely 1 place where you end up with what you paid for
Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Someone asked so: SGS & StRegis are roughly 1km each from Hyatt/Marriott location.
I really like the IC location, and late checkout is moot point, as I have a 7am flight on 27Mar.

I was able to milk the last day of my Diamond status (28Feb) to get 2nights at the Hyatt for cash & points and use an expiring SNA to bump into a Grand Suite (~1400 sq ft) and Club access, then just now got a helpful Plat Ambassador to push me into a suite at the Westin for only 17.5k pts/night + SNA. Think I'm set!

Last edited by KevinS; Mar 2, 2015 at 4:30 pm
Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:44 am

Programs: most of them
I stayed at the IC last Nov using points/free night and liked it very much. The location is quite good IMHO.

Is lounge access really important? OP doesn't seem to indicate that is something he's after. I was able to get 2PM check out just as a plat. There are plenty of places to get breakfast nearby, especially the basement level of Bugis Junction which is connected directly to the hotel.

The Arab Quarter is a short (but sweaty) walk. So is Little India. I walked a lot but the MRT is accessible via Bugis Junction as well.

I was pleased with my stay. I thought the room could have used an update but it was comfortable enough.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.