Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Singapore Taxis - What's with the surcharges?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore Taxis - What's with the surcharges?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Oh yeah I spoken to a Taxi driver recently, apparently the Mercedes Taxi meter fare is now the same as the SMRT Chrysler Taxi meter fare. Only for flag down Chrysler is more expensive.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:16 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by lcpteck
When did you take the taxi from Gardens by the Bay? I remember there is a surcharge. It's also stated on the LTA website. I'm not sure if charges are due if leaving from the area or going to the area though..
Yes.

If you re-read my post I said "environs " ie surrounding area. You will also see that they said my pick up point wasn't chargeable.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by invisible
Do you know how much it would cost?
Shinjuku's within the Haneda fixed fare zone, so you'd pay a flat Y7000, or about S$80 -- not exactly cheap, but not completely ridiculous either.

I suspect you were thinking about taking a taxi to Narita, which would be a rather more painful Y21,000 (~S$240).
Old Nov 4, 2014, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by uk1

#2. We picked a cab up away from the environs of Gardens on The Bay and an extra charge was added. I wasn't sure so I paid and asked for a receipt. When I got back to the hotel I emailed the taxi company and said "can you confirm the charge was correct from this pickup point". It wasn't so much the surcharge, I just like to understand the rules. They replied within an hour and confirmed it wasn't and asked for my hotel address. They sent a refund voucher for the fare plus I think $10 to say "sorry" and a written apology and said they would be "taking it up" with the driver. I was impressed.
But there is a Gardens by the Bay/MBS $3 fee.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 8:50 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by SirJman
But there is a Gardens by the Bay/MBS $3 fee.
Correct.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 8:01 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club
Seems like more standardised cab fares are getting closer:

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/sin...-2#xtor=CS1-10

There is no official confirmation though, but we indeed do know that something is in the works.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by sierralab
Seems like more standardised cab fares are getting closer:

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/sin...-2#xtor=CS1-10

There is no official confirmation though, but we indeed do know that something is in the works.
But flag down rates may increase....

I miss the time when cabs were all Toyata Crowns and the flag down rate was only $2.20...
Old Nov 7, 2014, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by SQ319
But flag down rates may increase....

I miss the time when cabs were all Toyata Crowns and the flag down rate was only $2.20...
Toyota Crowns were huge!! I missed sliding on the back seat when the car turns left or right.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 3:05 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Our condo's security guard remember time when kopi was 10 cents...

When we've been younger, grass was greener and girls were prettier. Time moves.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 3:23 am

The 'racket' is government sanctioned, I think. The fees all go to the taxi drivers. By the way, the taxi drivers as a group are quite a political force, I heard.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 5:41 am

For booking fees, the Taxi company takes a percentage.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by iluvcruising2
The fees all go to the taxi drivers. By the way, the taxi drivers as a group are quite a political force, I heard.
Really?? But they are quite toothless compared to the unions you see in other countries, as with all the unions in this country....

Anyway, if the fees all go to the taxi drivers, then there is not much incentive for the driers to move to independent booking apps like GrabTaxi, Uber etc.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:33 pm

Really?? But they are quite toothless compared to the unions you see in other countries, as with all the unions in this country....

Anyway, if the fees all go to the taxi drivers, then there is not much incentive for the driers to move to independent booking apps like GrabTaxi, Uber etc.
Oh there certainly is. All 3rd party apps need to pass the 'booking' fee over to the drivers as well. All other fees still apply.

Since all the apps popped up over the last 2 years, and more and more people are using them, taxis are even less likely to pick you up from the kerb now as they want their $2-3.80 booking fees through the apps.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 5:07 am

Actually, Singapore's unions are very toothy indeed -- but only at cracking down on their own members, since they're all directly or indirectly controlled by the government...

http://yoursdp.org/publ/the_truth_ab...our/16-1-0-243
Old Nov 16, 2014, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold
I just got back from a trip to Singapore. I was not aware that they do not accept Visa cards anymore. Luckily I had packed my Mastercard as well, usually I only travel with my Visa card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.