Wiki Posts
Search

5* Balcony Room w/ vu not Sentosa

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2014, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD for life, HH Gold, SPG gold, Hyatt Plat, Avis Select, TSA pfd
5* Balcony Room w/ vu not Sentosa

I'm visiting 2 nights on 11/24-25 returning from SYD and 2 nights a week earlier on my way to SYD. I'm staying at the Quincy on my 1st layover as it has great prices and amenities. I'm not sure if i should wait until I get there to the 1st trip to book a return room. I'd really like to find something with a balcony, a view and an interesting pool area. I'd probably like to change neighborhoods as well.

Any suggestions?
Old Oct 11, 2014, 2:22 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by georgeroads
I'm visiting 2 nights on 11/24-25 returning from SYD and 2 nights a week earlier on my way to SYD. I'm staying at the Quincy on my 1st layover as it has great prices and amenities. I'm not sure if i should wait until I get there to the 1st trip to book a return room. I'd really like to find something with a balcony, a view and an interesting pool area. I'd probably like to change neighborhoods as well.

Any suggestions?
I have no real points of comparison with other hotels as we spend many nights a year in the same suite at the same hotel and haven't tried others for years.

We enjoy the Shophouse Garden Suites at The Intercontinental. There are only a few of these suites. Basically a decent suite with club access that has a small private outside garden space for you to have breakfast and evening drinks read etc Partly covered so you can actually sit outside in a storm and not get wet. We love the storms. How sad! And you can have a late night big mac from the nearby Macdonalds.

On the downside, during the day one side of the suite overlooks a mall that is bustling during the day - so isn't quiet - but we're out all day and as the shops are shut at night it's quiet at night. There is also no Singapore view as you would get from most hotels with balconies. But we love having the small garden in the town center, love the lounge and the staff.

If you want a hotel with a balcony overlooking Singapore this will not be for you, or if you want quiet during the day - but thought I'd mention it "just in case".
Old Oct 12, 2014, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Some of the requests are rather subjective, but the place that springs to mind for me is Marina Bay Sands - would certainly tick the box for interesting pool area.

One stay I particularly enjoyed in S'pore was at the Pan Pacific on the club floor. IIRC, we had a balcony, but the lounge was almost always deserted and you had to fight the staff off from topping up your glass every time you took a sip. It was a tough gig

Marina Square has got a lot better over the years - you have the Singapore Flyer & the Gardens by the Bay nearby now.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 1:02 pm
uk1
Suspended

They have just closed the food hall in Marina Bay unexpectedly for a "deep clean" because someone tweeted some pictures of some roaches ......

Of all the food hall's ...I'd never have predicted that .....

Old Oct 12, 2014, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by uk1
They have just closed the food hall in Marina Bay unexpectedly for a "deep clean" because someone tweeted some pictures of some roaches ......

Of all the food hall's ...I'd never have predicted that .....

Marina Bay Sands, you mean???

Marina Bay refers to the entire area around from the financial district to the Gardens to the Marina Square area.

I thought, u as an old timer would do better than this...
Old Oct 12, 2014, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by georgeroads

Any suggestions?
If you have to prioritise the 3 requirements, what would be most important to you....

There are not many hotels with a balcony, and not many hotels with an interesting pool area as welll....

Also how do u define "interesting?"
Old Oct 13, 2014, 2:52 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by SQ319
Marina Bay Sands, you mean???

Marina Bay refers to the entire area around from the financial district to the Gardens to the Marina Square area.

I thought, u as an old timer would do better than this...
You are quite right .... I actually edited out "Sands" to ensure I wasn't being mistaken for anything actually in the hotel .....
Old Oct 13, 2014, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD for life, HH Gold, SPG gold, Hyatt Plat, Avis Select, TSA pfd
Originally Posted by SQ319
If you have to prioritise the 3 requirements, what would be most important to you....

There are not many hotels with a balcony, and not many hotels with an interesting pool area as welll....

Also how do u define "interesting?"
I would say balcony and view would beat out the pool. I just saw that the MBS has step out balconies in Towers 1 and 2 and I think that hits all the requisites. The IC garden sounds wonderful but I'd like the view. Thanks for the responses.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:51 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, UA 1K MM
Allow me to recommend the Fairmont at Raffles City. Every room has a large step-out balcony and the view is generally more impressive than Marina Bay Sands' balconies (the balconies at MBS face south, toward Batam, not inward toward Singapore). MBS is certainly iconic but if you are looking for a balcony with a view, the Fairmont would be a good choice.

Also, it is in the heart of town rather than isolated at the southern part of Marina Bay where MBS is located -- if you want to walk around or take the MRT anywhere, the Raffles City complex is extremely central.

Note that the Swissotel is also in the same complex at Raffles City, but it *may* be 4* instead of 5. Not entirely sure. Both hotels (Fairmont and Swissotel) have the same exterior architecture and both have balconies with great views.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 11:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The specially suites at Raffles have huge porch areas. This would be the second and third floor of the main building, over the lobby and restaurants.

All Raffles rooms have a small table and two chairs right outside the door, but views are only of the Raffles property and gardens, with the exception of the business rooms where the seating area is on the "back" balcony overlooking a busy street and Raffles City.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.