Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Everything About Chilli Crab In Singapore

Old Aug 27, 2014, 6:35 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by robyng
FWIW - pricing by the 100g isn't uncommon when it comes to high class meat (like beef in Japan) as well. And - even in the US - it's not unprecedented to see pricing by the 100g in places like high end steak houses - even though most people who live here don't have a clue what 100g is (sounds like a lot - but it's about 3.5 ounces). Robyn

Whilst it may be common some places ... it's less common at others.

The first holiday I took my wife to Spain ... some decades ago .... I took her to a seafood place on our first night which from the menu looked affordable. Of course the bill was @ per 100gms and it wasn't clear on the menu outside. This meal wiped out our very limited spending money for the trip.

Some don't expect to see this and can get caught out ....

Old Aug 27, 2014, 6:38 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Originally Posted by uk1
Happy to share!

1. I flash fry in very hot oil some very large frozen tiger prawns until pink but not over. 10 per person is about right. Frozen are much fresher and tastier! Reserve.

2. I mix some tubed ie fresh garlic, ginger, thai lemon grass and chillie and fry off. All of these are tubes that are as good as fresh and I keep in the fridge. So easy.

3. This is the real cheat of which I am proud. Add a can of cream of tomato soup! Reduce. Then sugar and squeeze of lime or lemon and reduce a little.

4. Add prawns when sauce is almost at the finished consistency and until "sticky" and add fresh chopped chilli, lots of freshly ground course black pepper and flat leaf parsley.

Hope you try it.
Thanks a lot
Old Aug 27, 2014, 7:16 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by uk1
There was a bit of a well publicised scam at Newton Centre with seafood and weights a few years back. Targetted at tourists.
I never liked Newton, passed through there twice and never stopped to eat.

I read about a different scam that was in place there, where you would be looking at the prices in front of a stall, decide to sit down, someone would suddenly show up to take your order... and later you would find out that this person was actually from a different (albeit similar) stall with much different prices.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 7:31 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by aster
I never liked Newton, passed through there twice and never stopped to eat.

I read about a different scam that was in place there, where you would be looking at the prices in front of a stall, decide to sit down, someone would suddenly show up to take your order... and later you would find out that this person was actually from a different (albeit similar) stall with much different prices.
I don't like Newton either.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 8:28 am
Suspended

there are many favour type, but my top 3 favour are

1) Chilli Crab favour
2) Black Pepper favour
3) Salted egg favour
Old Jun 25, 2015, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by robyng
Sounds like a good practice to import them live. My experience with our local stone crabs (where only one claw is allowed to be taken off the crab - the claws are cooked/cooled almost immediately - and the crab must be released) is that crabs deteriorate very quickly - even when cooled. And - if they're frozen (or even near frozen) - then the meat sticks to the shell when they're defrosted. Not an issue for a chef breaking them down in a kitchen - but a definite issue for a diner who is trying to eat whole crab legs.

Which is why tentseller has the right idea eating stone crabs in south Florida and the Florida keys (where they come from) as opposed to any other part of the world (even a part as close as north Florida).

FWIW - I read that like Jumbo serves over a ton of crab to about 4000 diners a day - so it looks like the crab will be fresh there. Just like it will be at Joe's stone crabs in Miami Beach (very large - although not as large as Jumbo - very popular - very tourist-oriented).

Robyn
Sorry to quote short Robyn, but this might be the most well put, straightforward comment about seafood in general I have seen outside of kitchen meetings. Having worked in kitchens, or having cooked most of my life, freshness is paramount! I actually came across this threa checking out info on making home made spicy crab bee hoon, but with stone crab! I live in the keys, and know that Joe's, as you mentioned, gets most of their stonies from a place in Marathon.

Fresh or die, only eat local and in season. Digging this board though!
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:38 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Although I'm not a fan of Singapore, I'll concede that on every trip through SIN, kaya toast and chili crab are the only two musts. Would be better if SIN itself had a chili crab restaurant though...
Old Jun 26, 2015, 11:46 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC

I today saw at Mustafa: Chilli Crab Minute Noodles. (I think the crabs aren't fresh though)
Old Jun 27, 2015, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by gilbertaue
I today saw at Mustafa: Chilli Crab Minute Noodles. (I think the crabs aren't fresh though)
Those are actually quite tasty (IMO)
Old Jun 28, 2015, 6:09 am
uk1
Suspended

However much I love Singapore and chilli and fresh crab, I have never "got" chilli crab. In my simple mind if you have a good fresh, expensive tasty crab, the last thing you do is braise it in a hot chilli sauce. You enjoy it's natural crabbiness. Chill crab is disrespectful to crabs and the sacrifice they made and as cycling under underpasses should be made illegal. I think someone invented it to use up whiffy crabs just like someone invented fish in batter to use up whiffy fish.

I get pepper (white or black) crab but not chilli crab.

IMHO

Old Jun 28, 2015, 11:03 pm
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Agneisse
Those are actually quite tasty (IMO)
I havent had them yet. I'll report back
Old Jul 3, 2015, 3:03 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by uk1
However much I love Singapore and chilli and fresh crab, I have never "got" chilli crab. In my simple mind if you have a good fresh, expensive tasty crab, the last thing you do is braise it in a hot chilli sauce. You enjoy it's natural crabbiness. Chill crab is disrespectful to crabs and the sacrifice they made and as cycling under underpasses should be made illegal. I think someone invented it to use up whiffy crabs just like someone invented fish in batter to use up whiffy fish.

IMHO

"Chili crab sauce" + fried mantou = friggin' good enough!
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:26 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
"Chili crab sauce" + fried mantou = friggin' good enough!
I've never gotten chili crab either. By far my favorite crab is Seafood Paradise's butter crab. And even then not really because of the crab, but because of fried mantou + that gorgeous buttery gravy ^
Old Jul 6, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
hahaha chilli crab is certainly on my list to do for my trip to SIN in August.
along with the Kaya toast and egg old school style.. sooooooooooo goooooood!
Old Jul 9, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by uk1

IMHO

i could not disagree more. i leave it at that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.