Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Fast food brands you really want to see in Singapore

Fast food brands you really want to see in Singapore

Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:36 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by gailwynand
In the meantime, Muchachos on Keong Saik Rd is a quite nice substitute, way better than Baja Fresh.
Interesting, I pass by that area each day so I might even pop in tomorrow for a meal.

Do they also have an open salsa bar where you can help yourself to everything or do they just portion it out from behind the counter?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:59 am

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
Originally Posted by aster
Interesting, I pass by that area each day so I might even pop in tomorrow for a meal.

Do they also have an open salsa bar where you can help yourself to everything or do they just portion it out from behind the counter?
They also have bottles of salsa for you to help yourself.
Originally Posted by A380 Flyer
And something I've always wanted to ask to you Americans - is there a difference between Mexican food and Tex-Mex? If so, WHAT?
Mexican food is from Mexico (usually central Mexico/Oaxaca), Tex-Mex is northern Mexican food as interpreted by Texans..

Worth noting that Mission burritos (Chipotle/Baja Fresh/etc) are none of the above, they are a San Francisco Chicano thing.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 9:53 am

Programs: HH D,CC,SPG,AZ: Gold;BA Silver, TK Elite
Pizza Express?
i don't remember seeing them in Singapore last time I was there
Old Aug 28, 2014, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by papyPiHi
Pizza Express?
i don't remember seeing them in Singapore last time I was there
Nope, no Pizza Express. They have some Pizza Huts though. In fact 51 of them. http://sg.openrice.com/singapore/res...region=300&s=3

Pizza outlets in Singapore are dominated by the local brands like Peperoni Pizzeria, Crust, and Mad For Garlic. I've never heard a Singaporean say "I fancy going to Pizza Hut!".
Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by A380 Flyer
Pizza outlets in Singapore are dominated by the local brands like Peperoni Pizzeria, Crust, and Mad For Garlic. I've never heard a Singaporean say "I fancy going to Pizza Hut!".
Crust is actually Australian

Pizza Hut is viewed as a delivery/fast-food brand in Singapore, I don't think there are any US-style sit-down restaurants with buffets etc.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Only ones I can think of are Taco Bell (they used to be here) and Denny's.
Denny's used to be in Singapore. If I recall correctly, Orchard Plaza and maybe Holland Village.

I'd like to see Five Guys and Shake Shack although there has been a recent expansion of Japanese fast casual dining
Old Aug 29, 2014, 12:01 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Could use some Five Guys.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 12:42 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by gailwynand
In the meantime, Muchachos on Keong Saik Rd is a quite nice substitute, way better than Baja Fresh.
Having checked out Muchachos yesterday, I'd say that Baja Fresh is way better.

The only good thing about Muchachos was the guacamole. As for everything else it's a step down from Baha. The salsa was below average (el cheapo canned tomatoes), there was no open salsa bar or anything like that, just two near-empty bottles of orange sludge at the end that nobody even bothered refilling.

It was worth checking it out as I'm always willing to try something new, but it's back to Baha Fresh next time. The open salsa bar is simply unbeatable.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alphaod
Could use some Five Guys.
Oh yeah, definitely.

I went to Five Guys in Covent Garden London, and a small burger, fries, and Coke cost me 10.95. I think in London that is pretty much the going rate for a "gourmet" burger...same kind of price at Meatmarket, Patty & Bun etc.

But if Five Guys came to SG, then I think the food would be cheaper (compared to the UK!). I cannot imagine a meal at Five Guys SG costing S$23. ^ You could eat well at Ichiban Boshi for that price.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 2:57 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Having checked out Muchachos yesterday, I'd say that Baja Fresh is way better.

The only good thing about Muchachos was the guacamole. As for everything else it's a step down from Baha. The salsa was below average (el cheapo canned tomatoes), there was no open salsa bar or anything like that, just two near-empty bottles of orange sludge at the end that nobody even bothered refilling.

It was worth checking it out as I'm always willing to try something new, but it's back to Baha Fresh next time. The open salsa bar is simply unbeatable.
Hmm, not sure what get's you so excited about Baja Fresh and the salsa bar here in SIN, but then tastes differ. I find the food there super mediocre and not close to worth the money. Service is crummy and soso at best and it is just far away from an average outlet operated in the States.

But then I lived for 3 years in Phoenix so my standards for good Mexican and Southwest / Tex-Mex are maybe a bit lofty to reach. I have tried a few places here in SIN and didn't find any that I would rush back too.

The Chilli's at Tanglin was okay in the early days when they got US staff to train and set up, but the last two visits were utterly disappoiting food wise and I won't go back to waste my money another time.

Chipotle would be great, In-and-Out would be awesome, but again I don't think the standars one is used too in the States are easily met here.

It is a mix of staff skills, food taste, pricing, etc. that just doesn't gel in my view. Even if places are good and successful initially often it doesn't take long and they take a dive for the worse with food quality declining, pricing increasing, service deteriorating, etc. That goes for fast food joints the same as for restaurants.

But then maybe I'm just one picky bugger

Last edited by demue; Sep 4, 2014 at 3:03 am
Old Sep 4, 2014, 8:26 am
Original Poster

I have come up with a personal list for my blog so far:

Mang Inasal - Philippines (Filipino Chicken)
Snog - UK (Frozen Yogurt)
Square Pie - UK (Pies and Pastries)
After You - Thailand (Luxury Deserts)
Kampong Kravers - Malaysia (Finger Food)
Brat - Hong Kong (Gourmet Hotdogs)
Kamikaze Karaage - Indonesia (Japanese Chicken)
Mandalicious - Dubai (Arabic Fast Food)
Just Falafel - Worldwide (Falafel and Wraps)
Tokyo Banana - Japan (Chocolate)
Panda Burger - Hong Kong (Burgers)
Sticks & Sushi - UK (Japanese Yakatori and Sushi)
Bagel Bagel - Indonesia (Bagel)
Five Guys - USA (Burgers)
Bong Kopitown - Indonesia (Coffee Shop)
Shirokuma - Japan (Japanese Dessert Caf)
Kimbap Cheonguk - South Korea (Kimbap)
Burger Fuel - New Zealand (Burgers)

Just wondering if any of these have actually been in Singapore before?
Old Sep 12, 2014, 3:20 am

Singapore could definitely do with an L&L Drive Inn and Zippy's.

Yes, I can dream on...
Old Sep 12, 2014, 5:03 am
uk1
Suspended

Old Sep 16, 2014, 5:52 am

For a brief moment there I thought that was in Singapore

I've yet to find a good bagel outside the US, although Tal Bagel in Jerusalem is pretty decent. But in Asia, or Australia for that matter, fuggedaboutit.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 6:39 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by jpatokal
For a brief moment there I thought that was in Singapore

I've yet to find a good bagel outside the US, although Tal Bagel in Jerusalem is pretty decent. But in Asia, or Australia for that matter, fuggedaboutit.
I have had to resort to making my own including onion platzels. There is picture of onion platzels above.

Apart from Brick Lane, they are difficult to find in the uk. I have driven from Wiltshire to Brick Lane because I was so desperate, but now every so often I make a batch. Not easy but you can make perfect bagels if you make it a mission. And of course you can burn them slightly. We fight over those.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.