Reload this Page >

Singapore Food Tour

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore Food Tour

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by jpatokal
Int'l Nasi Lemak at Changi Village is not really worth the hike, unless you were planning on visiting Pulau Ubin.
I would say most food stalls around the island aren't necessarily worth travelling long distances to as virtually all dishes (yes - good "versions" of them not just any place selling the same menu position) can be found locally to where you're staying.

My biggest dilemma is usually where to have some beers, and as we all know there is no difference between a bottle of Anchor here or 10km away.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 12:51 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by aster
I would say most food stalls around the island aren't necessarily worth travelling long distances to as virtually all dishes (yes - good "versions" of them not just any place selling the same menu position) can be found locally to where you're staying.
I agree.

If you are a Singapore resident then you have lot's of points of comparison, and therefore a good sense of what is good or better or best. Yearning for something "better" is an understandable motive to travel. If however you are a visitor, you don't have those points of reference. So what you eat you either know that you simply like or not. Visitors like me should just go to as many places as possible and try as much as possible and just look out for and join queues.

Old Aug 24, 2014, 3:56 pm
In memoriam

...My biggest dilemma is usually where to have some beers, and as we all know there is no difference between a bottle of Anchor here or 10km away.
Are there any local beers worth trying in Singapore (some countries have great local beers - others don't)? Note that my husband likes hoppy beers. Robyn
Old Aug 24, 2014, 8:56 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by robyng
Are there any local beers worth trying in Singapore (some countries have great local beers - others don't)? Note that my husband likes hoppy beers. Robyn
For local beers you are looking at any place that has Archipelago beers on tap. Or go with brewpubs that make their own beers like Brewerks.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 12:37 am

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
None of the local breweries/brewpubs here are worth the trouble. They all use extract brewing and hoppy beers are very rare. Just drink Tiger, it may not be great beer but it's Singaporean and refreshing on a hot day.

There are some good craft beer bars but you'd be wasting your money and time if you're coming from the US.

For someone used to the American craft beer scene, the closest bars of genuine interest are in Bangkok.

The craft cocktail scene here is more interesting but again, Americans will usually be wasting money unless they are into the Japanese cocktail/whiskey scene which is something in SG that you generally can't find in the US.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by gailwynand
None of the local breweries/brewpubs here are worth the trouble. They all use extract brewing and hoppy beers are very rare. Just drink Tiger, it may not be great beer but it's Singaporean and refreshing on a hot day.
I'd skip Tiger because it's just plain terrible as a beer imo. I definitely prefer Anchor even though it's made by the same company. For other 'big bottles' (beers that locals drink) I'd go for Carlsberg as it seems to be the best out of the big brands available here.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 8:05 am
uk1
Suspended

I'd skip Tiger because it's just plain terrible as a beer imo. I definitely prefer Anchor even though it's made by the same company. For other 'big bottles' (beers that locals drink) I'd go for Carlsberg as it seems to be the best out of the big brands available here.
There is also Paulaner available in a couple of places but the price wants to make you cry.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 2:14 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by uk1
There is also Paulaner available in a couple of places but the price wants to make you cry.
How bad? Hard to believe anything can be worse than Stockholm/Oslo/etc. Robyn
Old Aug 29, 2014, 3:27 pm
uk1
Suspended

Singapore Price list ...

Paulaner Clarke Quay Price List

I normally take my own with me .....

Old Aug 30, 2014, 6:37 am

I paid $19.50 (~US$15) for a pint of Hefe-Weizen on Clarke Quay the other day.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 3:06 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by jpatokal
I paid $19.50 (~US$15) for a pint of Hefe-Weizen on Clarke Quay the other day.
High prices to be sure. But is Clarke Quay like a cafe in a high end part of Paris - where you're basically paying money to rent a "ring side table" - as opposed to buying food/drink? Robyn
Old Aug 31, 2014, 10:28 pm

High prices to be sure. But is Clarke Quay like a cafe in a high end part of Paris - where you're basically paying money to rent a "ring side table" - as opposed to buying food/drink? Robyn
No, but it's a nightlife area. Take a bottle that would cost ~$7 even when bought in bulk, add in 200% restaurant mark up, and ta-dah, a $20 pint.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 12:39 pm

Check out "BK Eating House" (or something like that) on the corner of Circular Road (yup, that's the one right behind Boat Quay) and South Bridge Road. It's like $15 for 3 big bottles (0.66L) of Anchor. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.