Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore Food Tour

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2014, 3:59 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by idaud
I've heard about this Makunsutra character actually and there seem to be mixed opinions about him...more interesting is this CEO guide that I've read a little about on this forum. Where do I get hold of a copy?
The CEOs' Hawker Guide is the CEO's of major Singapore businesses talking about their favourite places, and sadly isn't for sale but Knight Frank will give you one at their reception in town in exchange for a donation for charity which I think must be $20 or above ... but to me $40 seems a decent gesture. They will send one if you contact them but it is a bit of a palaver.

Managed to get a couple of copies of the previous one from a lovely lady running a kids stage school one of the beneficiary charities, and she sent them to me by post - but forgot to pop in a few months ago to Knight Frank to pick the current one ... so next time!

The guide is a great guide for foodies.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 3:17 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by tide
OP - you will find halal options in every food court/hawker center. Singapore takes multiculturalism very seriously (at least among the traditional main races) - I believe it is mandated that there be at least one halal stall.

Whether the food is any good is another matter entirely.
I assume someone knows the OP eats halal - because he/she didn't mention it.

If that's the case though - the rules are somewhat similar to eating kosher (I don't keep kosher but friends do). Vegetarian/vegan restaurants and the cuisines that tend to cater to lots of vegetarians (for example Indian) are often the best option. Tied for second IMO are places specializing in fish (although sometimes you have to be careful about specific varieties of fish) and Italian non-meat dishes (vegetarian pastas and the like). Many types of Japanese food are good for the former. You have to be a little careful though - because many sauces/broths in Japanese cuisine are made with pork.

When it comes to meat - I suspect that halal meat would be pretty expensive in Singapore (just like kosher meat is expensive in most parts of the world).

And the one cuisine where I think dining halal would be exceptionally difficult would be Chinese. Robyn
Old Jul 27, 2014, 3:37 pm
In memoriam

uk1 - great approach to discovering new places - my interest in a food tour was potentially to save time on a limited 3 day trip with children in tow but by the time I get to Singapore I will probably no where I should be heading anyway.

SQ319 - I already reached out to the blogger you mention. At the moment, his is my primary source of food recommendations in Singapore so I'm glad I'm not the only one that tends to think he knows what he's talking about. Didn't get much joy out of him on emails though!
Do you eat halal? If so - one of the signature Singapore dishes - chilli crab - would probably be a no go for you. FWIW - although the concept sounds good - I've only eaten a crab like this once in my whole life. The dish wasn't served with proper cracking tools - and it was a total mess eating it. Perhaps there are places in Singapore where they actually do the work for you - take the crab out of the shell. If so - I'd appreciate anyone telling me about that place.

The other signature Singapore dish seems to be chicken and rice. It honestly doesn't sound that amusing to me - but I will most probably try it. So I can decide for myself. If it's on your "wish list" - you should probably check out in advance a place that serves it with halal chickens.

Judging from what I've read to date - if I had kids in tow - I'd head to the food courts instead of the hawker centers (unless you're traveling in somewhat cooler winter weather). I get cranky when I'm hot and sweaty and tired - and I suspect kids get even more cranky than I do.

Also note that if you have any particular dietary requirements - perhaps your hotel concierge can help you with suggestions. Robyn
Old Jul 27, 2014, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by robyng
When it comes to meat - I suspect that halal meat would be pretty expensive in Singapore (just like kosher meat is expensive in most parts of the world).

And the one cuisine where I think dining halal would be exceptionally difficult would be Chinese. Robyn
Halal meat is not expensive in Singapore at all, it is on par with other hawker food in Singapore....

There is Halal Chinese food in Singapore too....

Last edited by SQ319; Jul 27, 2014 at 11:56 pm
Old Jul 27, 2014, 11:53 pm

Do you eat halal? If so - one of the signature Singapore dishes - chilli crab - would probably be a no go for you. FWIW - although the concept sounds good - I've only eaten a crab like this once in my whole life. The dish wasn't served with proper cracking tools - and it was a total mess eating it. Perhaps there are places in Singapore where they actually do the work for you - take the crab out of the shell. If so - I'd appreciate anyone telling me about it.
There is Halal chili Crab in Singapore - http://www.hungrygowhere.com/singapo...ee_restaurant/

You'll be surprised that most local dishes are also available in a halal restaurant.

It's v unlikely for you to find deshelled chilli crab because of the way the crab is wok fried. If it's deshelled, the meat would become mushy in the frying process. Also the crabs are thrown in raw to fry, so it would be impossible to deshelled the crab as the meat would still stick to the shell.

You juz have to eat it like a local do.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 1:40 am

Programs: Marriott Gold
Judging from what I've read to date - if I had kids in tow - I'd head to the food courts instead of the hawker centers (unless you're traveling in somewhat cooler winter weather). I get cranky when I'm hot and sweaty and tired - and I suspect kids get even more cranky than I do.

Also note that if you have any particular dietary requirements - perhaps your hotel concierge can help you with suggestions. Robyn
Singapore has no winter weather. The temperature stays the same most of the time. Unfortunately you're just going to have to deal with the weather. However, there is easy access to air-conditioned places. So it's not all that bad.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 6:04 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by SQ319
There is Halal chili Crab in Singapore - http://www.hungrygowhere.com/singapo...ee_restaurant/

You'll be surprised that most local dishes are also available in a halal restaurant.

It's v unlikely for you to find deshelled chilli crab because of the way the crab is wok fried. If it's deshelled, the meat would become mushy in the frying process. Also the crabs are thrown in raw to fry, so it would be impossible to deshelled the crab as the meat would still stick to the shell.

You juz have to eat it like a local do.
I always thought crab was haram (see #18 on this animal list):

http://www.central-mosque.com/index....m-animals.html

But I ain't got no dog in that fight .

I understand how the crab is made. And that it has to be cracked after cooking. OTOH - certain restaurants can make it harder or easier for diners to get to crab meat. The most famous stone crab restaurant is famous in part because it cracks the shell in such a way that it's easy to get the meat out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqKyAhDp2HE

Note that I'm going to Singapore at the end of September. I didn't expect it to be cool then . Robyn
Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:01 pm

I always thought crab was haram (see #18 on this animal list):

http://www.central-mosque.com/index....m-animals.html

But I ain't got no dog in that fight .

I understand how the crab is made. And that it has to be cracked after cooking. OTOH - certain restaurants can make it harder or easier for diners to get to crab meat. The most famous stone crab restaurant is famous in part because it cracks the shell in such a way that it's easy to get the meat out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqKyAhDp2HE

Note that I'm going to Singapore at the end of September. I didn't expect it to be cool then . Robyn
Ultimately it depends on the individual. I know of Muslims who choose to eat non-halal (including pork) as well.

The restaurant have the awarded the Halal certificate by Muis. Not sure if Muis audits what they serve.

Re chilli crab shell - you can ask the restaurants for the tools to crack the shell. In fact, most will offer without you asking.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Hi Robyn - I think I had some separate posts relating to halal on another forum on FT and others have picked up on that. Thanks for posting your link - very interesting reading. I am observant when it comes to halal food and the confusion stems from the fact that the definition of halal is broadly the same but there are some valid differences of opinion which makes it harder to have a universally accepted definition/acceptable certification in place. Case in point is that crabs/lobsters are typically considered ok by most but there is a degree of doubt vs pork which clearly would never be considered ok apart from by non observant muslims. Kosher is actually a more stringent requirement but benefits from being legally defined in most countries.

Fortunately for me Singapore is generally quite halal friendly. There is a McDonalds litmus test that I sometimes use to work this out. If a McD's franchise in a particular country is halal then you can bet that the halal supply chain in the country is suitably well established for it to make that offering.

Your point on the kids is also noted. I suspect that my trip will consists of dual experiences - hotel food/western menu for my wife and the kids and more exploratory options = me! And you are spot on with the Chinese food point - I suspect that whilst halal versions of some dishes will be available, the nature of the ingredients in some chinese dishes will make it either non halal compatible or inauthentic. I plan to partake where I can in the one country where it probably makes it easiest to do so.

PS did I read that you were sticking with the FS for accommodation in Singapore?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:35 am

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
I'm led to believe that the halal authorities in SEA are quite strict about auditing, etc. so if a place is certified halal you should be able to eat there with a high degree of confidence.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:43 am

Last edited by SQ319; Jul 29, 2014 at 10:52 am Reason: Duplicate
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:50 am

Hi Robyn - I think I had some separate posts relating to halal on another forum on FT and others have picked up on that. Thanks for posting your link - very interesting reading. I am observant when it comes to halal food and the confusion stems from the fact that the definition of halal is broadly the same but there are some valid differences of opinion which makes it harder to have a universally accepted definition/acceptable certification in place. Case in point is that crabs/lobsters are typically considered ok by most but there is a degree of doubt vs pork which clearly would never be considered ok apart from by non observant muslims. Kosher is actually a more stringent requirement but benefits from being legally defined in most countries.
Never knew that there were differences in the interpretation. Thanks for sharing, however, say, if there is a halal certification in place, how would you knowif the country's halal certification subscribes to the stricter interpretation with does not allow crab etc or otherwise (other than looking at the menu)? Or do you juz trust the halal certification?

Having said that, as I have mentioned before most locals do understand the importance of what being halal means to their Muslim friends and most will not intentionally break the regulations. And as with all regulations in Singapore there are severe penalties which will result if the establishment is found to be breaking the regulation.

There are many restaurants which uses halal ingredients and do not serve pork or lard however they do not have the halal certification as the process to apply for it is very tedious and subjected to many audits. For these restaurants, it then comes down to the individual's personal preferences.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:45 pm
In memoriam

Fortunately for me Singapore is generally quite halal friendly. There is a McDonalds litmus test that I sometimes use to work this out. If a McD's franchise in a particular country is halal then you can bet that the halal supply chain in the country is suitably well established for it to make that offering.

Your point on the kids is also noted. I suspect that my trip will consists of dual experiences - hotel food/western menu for my wife and the kids and more exploratory options = me! And you are spot on with the Chinese food point - I suspect that whilst halal versions of some dishes will be available, the nature of the ingredients in some chinese dishes will make it either non halal compatible or inauthentic. I plan to partake where I can in the one country where it probably makes it easiest to do so.

PS did I read that you were sticking with the FS for accommodation in Singapore?
Even with Kosher - there are some arguments about various certifying groups - but crab and the like would definitely be a no-go.

I think I found a good solution to my chili crab problem - chili crab dim sum :

http://www.hungrygowhere.com/dining-...*aid-85ea3b00/

As for kids - there are some popular street type foods like chicken wings - satays and the like - that many kids would probably like:

http://travel.cnn.com/singapore/none...without-810208

If you give your kids a chance - they may surprise you .

And yes - definitely staying at the FS. The recent stay 2 nights/get 1 free offer (which I will be able to use) is the icing on the cake. And I've been very pleased with my correspondence to date with the concierge staff. Note that I think the head concierge in the hotel is Muslim (because someone wished him Salamat Hari Raya). If you decide to stay at the hotel - I'm sure he can help you find restaurants that are interesting - halal - and kid friendly too. Robyn
Old Jul 29, 2014, 2:06 pm
uk1
Suspended

Hi Robyn,

Many Singaporeans seem to prefer pepper crab to chilli crab if you are interested. For what it's worth re chilli crab - like most - I haven't tried them all but certainly many of the main places . A rough approximation to many I've tried is a sort of crab in Heinz tomato soup heated with chilli. It isn't in my view a remarkable dish. Pepper crab. ^
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:39 pm

Chilli Crab
Black Pepper Crab
White Pepper Crab
Simple steamed crab
Curry Crab
Crab Tung Hoon (My 2nd Favourite)
Crab Beehoon soup
Salted Egg Crab (My Favourite).

The most popular is the first two, but there are so many ways you can cook crab. Just choose what tickles your fancy since you don't get to eat this often where you come from.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.