Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

What does Singapore have that other SE Asian countries don't?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What does Singapore have that other SE Asian countries don't?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2015, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by tingadingling
As a local I'm rather bemused to see such passions ignite over this small island. Having lived and work in other countries, I'd say Singapore just makes every effort to welcome tourists, and in a tried and tested way that works. You could book a flight, step off the plane at Changi with zero clue of what to do, and 15 minutes later emerge from tourist info with a decent and reliable plan for the next 3 days. Try doing that in most of SEA, or god forbid, South America.

And hotels. Compared to anywhere else in the developed world, they're pretty affordable, no? If you don't need 5 star luxury, the online hotel aggregators often have good deals especially on boutique hotels. I like the heritage-building properties myself, around Jalan Sultan, Keong Saik Road or Joo Chiat. It's the mix of modern and traditional that defines the heartlands in a quintessentially Singaporean way.
Singapore is unique in it's own special way. Like or hate it, it is different from it's neighbours by a mile and a half.

But it does set standards on quality of life and safety standards as well as cleanliness and transport efficiency.

It has it's own problems as a nation and the cost to visit Singapore is very expensive.

But you pay for what you get...
Old Feb 12, 2015, 5:05 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Originally Posted by wolf72
Is there another 'base' in SEA where the biggest fleet assembles?
And there are no hooters in brunei, indonesia, nor malaysia or Myanmar...so Singapore stands TALL!

Stop being so jealous..
In the interests of accuracy

After the closure of US bases in the Philippines in 1992, the United States has benefited from a series of access agreements and other arrangements with Southeast Asian partners that have supported continued U.S. military engagement. These arrangements, including port calls, repair facilities, training ranges and logistics support, have become increasingly important to the US overseas presence. For example, Singapore announced in early 1998 that its Changi Naval Station, which became operational in the year 2000, would be available to U.S. naval combatants and include a pier which can accommodate American aircraft carriers. In January 1998, the United States and the Philippines negotiated a Visiting Forces Agreement that, when ratified, will permit routine combined exercises and training, and ship visits. Thailand remains an important refueling and transit point for possible operations to neighboring trouble spots, including the Arabian Gulf. Australia has long provided key access to facilities for U.S. unilateral and combined exercises.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 9:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN3
In the interests of accuracy

After the closure of US bases in the Philippines in 1992, the United States has benefited from a series of access agreements and other arrangements with Southeast Asian partners that have supported continued U.S. military engagement. These arrangements, including port calls, repair facilities, training ranges and logistics support, have become increasingly important to the US overseas presence. For example, Singapore announced in early 1998 that its Changi Naval Station, which became operational in the year 2000, would be available to U.S. naval combatants and include a pier which can accommodate American aircraft carriers. In January 1998, the United States and the Philippines negotiated a Visiting Forces Agreement that, when ratified, will permit routine combined exercises and training, and ship visits. Thailand remains an important refueling and transit point for possible operations to neighboring trouble spots, including the Arabian Gulf. Australia has long provided key access to facilities for U.S. unilateral and combined exercises.
Er, yeah, I think we all kinda knew that. But Singapore remains it's main hub and docking station for the majority of it's ships in the SEA area...outside of the Pacific. Thailand has basic facilities but as far as ship repairs go, Singapore is the place to be. Hooters and all

Old Mar 4, 2015, 6:04 am

You can still get good quality hawker food in Singapore as well as many other types of delicious food. Food, that is what most Singaporeans miss when we travel overseas.

Newton Food Center where I had lunch not too long ago, only this time I decided to make a video my Satay, Char Kway Teow, Chendol and Coconut drink.
http://youtu.be/qlxP5P3JiY4

Had supper at a coffee shop and this was my wonderful Hor Fun (Thick Flat noodles)
http://youtu.be/I69XW73ZB2w

Of course, we cannot forget chicken rice.
http://youtu.be/My8nxPEswuI

Yeah, no wonder I can't keep the weight off.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:13 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by iluvcruising2
You can still get good quality hawker food in Singapore as well as many other types of delicious food. Food, that is what most Singaporeans miss when we travel overseas.
But when y'all travel overseas, you are visiting the places of origin of most food commonly found in Singapore...save for dishes with a Peranakan/local flair such as chili crab and carrot cake!
Old Mar 5, 2015, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond

Newton Food Center where I had lunch not too long ago, only this time I decided to make a video my Satay, Char Kway Teow, Chendol and Coconut drink.
http://youtu.be/qlxP5P3JiY4

Had supper at a coffee shop and this was my wonderful Hor Fun (Thick Flat noodles)
http://youtu.be/I69XW73ZB2w

Of course, we cannot forget chicken rice.
http://youtu.be/My8nxPEswuI

Yeah, no wonder I can't keep the weight off.
I actually had a different experience-staying there with high food prices and a gym in my condo helped me lose weight
(although even higher alcohol prices probably also contributed a factor, as I drink much less too. The heat makes it tempting sometimes, though...)
Old Mar 6, 2015, 12:28 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Singapore is the home of the $15 beer. That is enough to put me off visiting or considering living there.
As someone who likes my beer (more than is probably advisable), it's actually not too bad if you stay away from the super expat and visitor focussed places at the Quays, Duxton, Holland Village, etc.... Furthermore, even in those areas, there are lots of happy hour deals til 8 or 9. Even better, at Hawker Centers, a Tiger or Carlsberg is typically about $8SGD (less than $6USD at today's exchange rate) for 600ml.

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
A slowly decreasing reliance on its Malaysian water supply?
LOL. Very true. You might also add intermittent haze from Indonesian burning (though it hasn't been bad recently).
Old Mar 6, 2015, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
But when y'all travel overseas, you are visiting the places of origin of most food commonly found in Singapore...save for dishes with a Peranakan/local flair such as chili crab and carrot cake!
But it just doesn't taste the same.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by Singapore_Schwing
As someone who likes my beer (more than is probably advisable), it's actually not too bad if you stay away from the super expat and visitor focussed places at the Quays, Duxton, Holland Village, etc.... Furthermore, even in those areas, there are lots of happy hour deals til 8 or 9. Even better, at Hawker Centers, a Tiger or Carlsberg is typically about $8SGD (less than $6USD at today's exchange rate) for 600ml.
Very true. Funny thing is that I don't even know what the current beer prices are at my local coffeeshop. Reason is that I don't usually drink though I do see many uncles drinking.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 3:22 am
uk1
Suspended

Very true. Funny thing is that I don't even know what the current beer prices are at my local coffeeshop. Reason is that I don't usually drink though I do see many uncles drinking.
I had a really odd experience at Newton a couple of weeks ago. Most unexpected. The Tiger was delivered, the lady heard me mutter to my wife that it cost a bit more than the other place and she said "how much did they charge?" - I told her and she gave me a bit back!

To be honest ... beer isn't cheap but actually is s$7 or s$8 a lot for a pint of frozen Tiger with a couple of frozen glasses. Same as London prices. Not cheap ... but not too bad!

Old Mar 6, 2015, 5:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM bis
Hmm... the uncle/auntie at the two hawker centres I go to charge $6.50 for a 640ml bottle of Carlsberg, less (I think) for same size Tiger. Then again, these are heartland hawker centres...

Originally Posted by uk1
I had a really odd experience at Newton a couple of weeks ago. Most unexpected. The Tiger was delivered, the lady heard me mutter to my wife that it cost a bit more than the other place and she said "how much did they charge?" - I told her and she gave me a bit back!
The folks at Newton hawker centre are known to be 'entrepreneurial' in their pricing considering their heavy tourist/expat business focus. As an alternative, Zion Road hawker centre is close to the Orchard tourist belt but more sensible (and stable) in their pricing at it actually services HDB estates (reasonably) close by.

Originally Posted by uk1
To be honest ... beer isn't cheap but actually is s$7 or s$8 a lot for a pint of frozen Tiger with a couple of frozen glasses. Same as London prices. Not cheap ... but not too bad!

To be fair, isn't 640ml a little more than a pint?

Last edited by dsgtc0408; Mar 6, 2015 at 5:25 am
Old Mar 6, 2015, 6:31 am

Since we are on the topic of Singapore and this being SG50 year, here are some icons!

We have chicken rice.

And chilli crab.

Singa the courtesy Lion.

And of course, the Singapore Girl.

Everybody, Yum Seng!
Old Mar 6, 2015, 6:35 am

Oh yes, we have plenty of cheesy National Day songs and some really good ones!

NDP 2012 - Love at First Sight - super cheesy.
http://youtu.be/ANTvzs6Hzpc

NDP 2011 Theme Song - In a Heartbeat. One of the better songs in recent years.
http://youtu.be/VIgoiKKa9_E

The most famous - Home. This songs will make true Singaporeans cry when they miss home.
http://youtu.be/qTkVG6lWvwY
Old Mar 6, 2015, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC

My favourite.

It seems that SG is probably the only place where queuing up is civilized and without complains about the line being too slow/inefficient like HK
Old Mar 6, 2015, 8:08 am

My two favorite food items I always try to have when in Singapore are Laksa and Carrot cake. I can seriously eat Carrot Cake at any time of the day. Laksa is best on a hot day

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.