Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Taking durians out of Singapore

Old Jan 3, 2014, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

I'll be traveling to Singapore for a few days, and a friend requested durian snacks. She thinks that it might be illegal to take durians out of the country, but I can't find anything to substantiate this. Has anyone here heard of a ban like that?
Old Jan 3, 2014, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
As long as the airline and the destination country permit it, there is not problem.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA, HH Silver, MR Platinum
Seems like the more relevant question would be your destination country's restrictions on bringing in fresh fruits and vegetables.

Also, unless you wrap the durian thoroughly in plastic, and ideally leave it in your checked luggage, this strikes me as an excellent way to make life-long enemies among your fellow travelers.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller
As long as the airline and the destination country permit it, there is not problem.
Originally Posted by Baritone73
Seems like the more relevant question would be your destination country's restrictions on bringing in fresh fruits and vegetables.

Also, unless you wrap the durian thoroughly in plastic, and ideally leave it in your checked luggage, this strikes me as an excellent way to make life-long enemies among your fellow travelers.
Great, thanks. And Baritone: excellent point. Thanks for the reminder.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 8:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
Word of warning,

The durians would not be as good as it is.

The durians will become soggy becoming 'wet'

But otherwise, there are some retailers in Singapore which does Vaccum Wrap to takeaways durians.

I saw it being offered at Combat durians at Balestir. ( my fav place for durians now)
Old Jan 4, 2014, 10:04 am

Programs: UAL SPG Hyatt
OP, is your friend requesting actual durians or "durian snacks". There are lots of durian snacks that are already pre-packaged and well sealed.

The fruit itself can be an issue (perishable, smell, large heavy thorny) but the snacks have never proved to be much of an issue for me to travel with.

Cheers,
SF
Old Jan 4, 2014, 10:09 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
http://jobs.aol.com/videos/n/flight-...uit/517404808/

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntre...readID=2234731

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ed-flight.html

Packaged snacks should be OK though
Old Jan 4, 2014, 12:12 pm

FYI Durians are prohibited from entering the US from Singapore. The only Asian country that can export them is Thailand and Philippines.

If you ever want to know what fruit can travel from certain countries, google: FAVIR

Its what we use at my job to decide what can come in on passenger bags.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SometimesFlyer
OP, is your friend requesting actual durians or "durian snacks". There are lots of durian snacks that are already pre-packaged and well sealed.

The fruit itself can be an issue (perishable, smell, large heavy thorny) but the snacks have never proved to be much of an issue for me to travel with.

Cheers,
SF
She requested "durian snacks", but also included that they might be illegal, which led me to think that she might also be interested in the fruit itself. Needless to say, I'll bring just snacks.

Originally Posted by Uuaww
FYI Durians are prohibited from entering the US from Singapore. The only Asian country that can export them is Thailand and Philippines.

If you ever want to know what fruit can travel from certain countries, google: FAVIR

Its what we use at my job to decide what can come in on passenger bags.
Thanks. I hadn't looked up this information yet--appreciate the FAVIR information.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
She requested "durian snacks", but also included that they might be illegal, which led me to think that she might also be interested in the fruit itself. Needless to say, I'll bring just snacks.
The fruit does not travel well and does "water" if not consumed within a short period after taking it out of the shell.

If bringing snacks, I recommend fresh rather than processed durian snacks as the processed ones just doesn't taste the same! Durian Crepe from Angie the Choice are nicely packed and sealed in a plastic container hence good for travelling. Just need to put it in your luggage so that it remains cold in the cargo hold.

http://www.angiethechoice.com.sg/shop/outlet.asp The locations are a bit out of the way though...
Old Jan 5, 2014, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a fruit retailer who get his durian fresh air shipped to Toronto Canada. He will email/SMS to his loyal customers (me) of incoming shipment and they are usually all accounted for before arrival. It is so fresh that you can open it with a durian stick. Good for a durian fix but very very expensive lah!.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SQ319
The fruit does not travel well and does "water" if not consumed within a short period after taking it out of the shell.

If bringing snacks, I recommend fresh rather than processed durian snacks as the processed ones just doesn't taste the same! Durian Crepe from Angie the Choice are nicely packed and sealed in a plastic container hence good for travelling. Just need to put it in your luggage so that it remains cold in the cargo hold.

http://www.angiethechoice.com.sg/shop/outlet.asp The locations are a bit out of the way though...
Thanks!
Old Jan 6, 2014, 9:05 am

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
It's not that hard to get durians in the US anyway, I know of at least two places in DC that sell them. There have to be similar options in BOS. Chinese and SE Asian ethnic markets are good places to look.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gailwynand
It's not that hard to get durians in the US anyway, I know of at least two places in DC that sell them. There have to be similar options in BOS. Chinese and SE Asian ethnic markets are good places to look.
Fresh, off the tree and airfreighted? Or frozen, slow boated and defrosted?
Old Jan 6, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
Originally Posted by tentseller
Fresh, off the tree and airfreighted? Or frozen, slow boated and defrosted?
I wouldn't know, not a durian connisseur.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.