NY and fireworks in Singapore - some insights

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2014, 1:30 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by invisible
Last year it was not the case.
Thanks.

The plan is satay at Satay street then a wander to 1 Fullerton for the fireworks ....

Looking forward to it.

Old Jan 5, 2014, 7:09 am

I went to the fireworks last year. Although crowded, I thought it was reasonable. Nothing like the fireworks in Seoul on Yeoido.

We watched them at the riverfront near the Civilisation museum. We were there probably around 10pm, and we were one of the first ones setting up in that area and were able to sit on a bench until they started. Until about 11pm, it wasn't busy at all. Seems that most people were heading to try to get closer. Though the water itself was blocked by the bridge, we could see the fireworks no problem. We left about 3-5 minutes before they finished. Walked to Clarke Quay station and took a not at all busy NE line train home.

Oh, and I officially proposed to my wife that night (even though we already had the ROM date, and our ceremony dates booked for a couple months prior)...but that doesn't have anything to do with the crowds.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 8:04 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by SirJman
I went to the fireworks last year. Although crowded, I thought it was reasonable. Nothing like the fireworks in Seoul on Yeoido.

We watched them at the riverfront near the Civilisation museum. We were there probably around 10pm, and we were one of the first ones setting up in that area and were able to sit on a bench until they started. Until about 11pm, it wasn't busy at all. Seems that most people were heading to try to get closer. Though the water itself was blocked by the bridge, we could see the fireworks no problem. We left about 3-5 minutes before they finished. Walked to Clarke Quay station and took a not at all busy NE line train home.

Oh, and I officially proposed to my wife that night (even though we already had the ROM date, and our ceremony dates booked for a couple months prior)...but that doesn't have anything to do with the crowds.
Congrats on the proposal.^

Too late for us.

Wwre your comments relating to CNY?
Old Jan 5, 2014, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by uk1
Is this true of CNY as well. I'll be thee for that .....!
I rather be in Chinatown for CNY than Collyer Quay/Marina area.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 9:09 am

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
Originally Posted by uk1
Thanks.

The plan is satay at Satay street then a wander to 1 Fullerton for the fireworks ....

Looking forward to it.

Might want to change your plans for Satay Street, Lau Pa Sat is closed for renovations and less than half the satay stalls are operating currently.

http://news.omy.sg/News/Local-News/T...onth-on-229783
Old Jan 6, 2014, 9:35 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by gailwynand
Might want to change your plans for Satay Street, Lau Pa Sat is closed for renovations and less than half the satay stalls are operating currently.

Yes aware of the closure .. and read that blog. I'd heard that they were all still open ... that is sad. It's also our traditional first port of call after dumping luggage. Wonder why some would shut?

You'd think they'd be more business for the kebabs with Lau Pa Sat closed! Has this overpowered the existing people? I guess you can still sit but you wait much longer for your food?

Old Jan 7, 2014, 1:38 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by gailwynand

Just received an update from a friend ....

Hello uk1,

I walked down yesterday evening. Although it was early (about 6:30pm) and Boon Tat Street was not closed yet, all the stalls were manned and readying for business.
Looks good.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
If you were visiting Singapore and staying at the Mandarin Oriental you should be able to get an excellent view from the pool area. Certainly when I was there for the national day fireworks there were plenty of fine flashes and bangs to see, even though most of the action was inside an arena and consequently not visible.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 9:42 pm

Was there for NYE and saw the fireworks at Marina bay from the Marina Blvd side. Had an OK view for 1-2 minutes before the smoke from the fireworks started blocking everything from sight...
Old Jan 13, 2014, 1:38 am
uk1
Suspended

Would appreciate some local knowledge .....

Is the firework display on the 29th January identical and as good as the 30th?

Thanks,
Old Jan 14, 2014, 9:21 am

First post here! The fireworks on 29 is for the river hongbao carnival at marina bay.

On 30, there are two locations for fireworks as it's the eve - marina bay and Chinatown. The place to be on the eve would be Chinatown.

In terms of fireworks they are frankly nothing fantastic and u probably can't see much esp the one at Chinatown bec it will be too crowded but the atmosphere is great! I love being at Chinatown on the eve. There is also a live countdown show there that night.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 10:57 am
uk1
Suspended

Thanks. Welcome to FT!

So the 29th and 30th Bay fireworks are different?

Where abouts in Chinatown is best to see the fireworks. I know you an say just "look up" but it's a pretty enclosed streets so I presume some places are better than others?

Is it a full display or just firecrackers?
Old Jan 14, 2014, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by uk1
Thanks. Welcome to FT!

So the 29th and 30th Bay fireworks are different?

Where abouts in Chinatown is best to see the fireworks. I know you an say just "look up" but it's a pretty enclosed streets so I presume some places are better than others?

Is it a full display or just firecrackers?
Firecrackers are banned in Singapore, so it's just fireworks.

In Chinatown, you need to be "on the ground" to feel the atmosphere, however, the view is not that great. If you have a great view higher up, then the atmosphere might be diluted.

uk1, I know you travel to SG quite frequently, have u seen our fireworks on National Day? If you have, then you'll feel this is on a much smaller scale compared to that.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 2:18 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by SQ319

In Chinatown, you need to be "on the ground" to feel the atmosphere, however, the view is not that great. If you have a great view higher up, then the atmosphere might be diluted.

uk1, I know you travel to SG quite frequently, have u seen our fireworks on National Day? If you have, then you'll feel this is on a much smaller scale compared to that.
I was there for last National Day and it was certainly a wonderful experience. I have to own up and say we were somewhat "delayed" by "happy hour" in the hotel and decided to stay put as we'd left it a bit late to "take up position" and saw the arrival of all the digantories on TV, and the firework display as well. I have to say I found the day quite moving because it managed to "bottle" national pride so well in a way we don't have in the UK. I think with hindsight because it was more than just the fireworks ie all the processions etc it was possibly better for us to see it on TV. And we could drink and watch.

I was on a bum boat (do you remember the old chugger chugger ones ...... I miss those smelly old things ... and I'm talking about more than just the old men that use to operate them ......) a number of years ago for a firework display that I think was around 9pm and I think that was one of two displays that evening .. perhaps CNY? It was great seeing it from the river.

We leave tommorow for a three week stay. So much looking forward to it ....
Old Jan 15, 2014, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by SQ319
Private use of firecrackers is banned, but there are state-sanctioned displays for CNY, including the big event on the 30th in Chinatown:

http://www.eventfinda.sg/2014/chines...pore/chinatown

Expect huge crowds and loud noise!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.