Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Best Flight Option to Singapore

Old Nov 26, 2013, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

What is the best option for flying to Singapore from NYC? It appears that anyway you cut it you have to stop somewhere. Any suggestions on best flight options?

Thanks!
Old Nov 26, 2013, 2:16 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by rlabramow
What is the best option for flying to Singapore from NYC? It appears that anyway you cut it you have to stop somewhere. Any suggestions on best flight options?

Thanks!
You could fly non-stop just two days ago. Well, now you have you go via connection. You have options either thru Tokyo, Seoul, Frankfurt, Istanbul, London - that's what I know with one connection to SIN from NYC area, I am sure that other options exist as well.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 6:58 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan, BA Executive, DL Skymiles, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, National Executive Elite
Service wise I'd route through HKG on CX or FRA on SQ. EK through DXB is another good option. Or through TPE on BR. If none of those interest you there are tons of other options through other cities
Old Nov 26, 2013, 7:03 pm

Possible Connections

Tokyo (DL, NH, JL)
Seoul (OZ, KE)
Frankfurt (SQ and LH)
London (BA)
Paris (AF)
Hong Kong (CX)
Dubai (EK)
Doha (QR)
Jeddah (Saudia)
Istanbul (TK)
Bombay (AI)
Shanghai (MU)
Zurich (LX)
Abu Dhabi (Etihad)
Helsinki (AY)
Amsterdam (KL)
Beijing (CA)

Really the possibilities are endless, it's just a matter of where you want to transit through, airline preference and the timings.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 11:09 am

Programs: most of them
Lots of choice indeed. I actually don't mind stopping on such a long journey as it gives you a chance to get out and stretch you legs some.

I suppose other things to consider are class of service? Paid or miles? Etc.

I flew from SIN to JFK via FRA on the SQ A380 F class suites a couple of weeks ago. Great service. Great suite. Smoothe, quiet aircraft. The leg between SIN and FRA is about 12-13 hours. Then FRA-JFK is another 8-9.

I've also done CX JFK-HKG a couple of times. In F it's pretty nice and that flight lasts 16ish hours. Then you add on a few hours to SIN. I much preferred SQ but CX F is easier to get with miles and costs a lot less miles.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 11:17 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
What would be the best/most convenient way to get to SIN from ORD, regardless of airline?
Old Nov 29, 2013, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by aster
What would be the best/most convenient way to get to SIN from ORD, regardless of airline?
SIN-HKG-ORD on UA. But I would not recommend doing it on Y, especially if you are seated at Y-.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
For both NYC and ORD I recommend oneworld member QR. Here are my trip reports:

DOH<>SIN, J
DOH-JFK/IAH-DOH, J
AUH-DOH-DXB, F including Premium transfer Terminal
DOH-JFK, J

I would strongly recommend avoiding economy class on such a long trip and if you would otherwise travel economy it might be better to look around for the cheapest business carrier, even if there is an extremely long stopover.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 12:46 am

If u do economy, i'd recommend KE or OZ.
They both have generous legroom in economy(33-34") seats.

Definitely dont recommend UA in Y, even Y+.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 8:00 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Right, so from ORD we are looking at equally good options flying west as well as east to reach SIN?
Old Dec 1, 2013, 9:56 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by HawaiiO
If u do economy, i'd recommend KE or OZ.
They both have generous legroom in economy(33-34") seats.

Definitely dont recommend UA in Y, even Y+.
CX flies from ORD to HKG. It will arrive HKG at 19:50. too late for the last flight of the day to SIN, however, you can connect the first flight that leave 01:30.

JL is also another option
Old Dec 3, 2013, 12:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
From ORD on *A, TK through IST could be good if the connecting times work well. Their coach is considered good. Asiana would also be a good choice, as well as SQ, although SQ is likely to be more expensive as well as require an additional connection.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
NH is another good option in Y from ORD, I believe they have the new cabin on ORD-NRT and I have noticed they are starting to switch to 787's for NRT-SIN as opposed to the leg crushing 767's..
Old Dec 6, 2013, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by gailwynand
NH is another good option in Y from ORD, I believe they have the new cabin on ORD-NRT and I have noticed they are starting to switch to 787's for NRT-SIN as opposed to the leg crushing 767's..
Interesting, I ditched ANA for JAL due to the latter using 787s when I visited Japan for the first time a few months back. Good to hear that the competition is catching up.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by gailwynand
People need to know that NH's seats in Y do not recline.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.