Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Restaurant Recommendations in Singapore

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2014, 5:49 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by uk1
A seemingly almost unadvertised Sunday seafood (and other stuff) champagne (genuine not sparkling but decent champers) is at the IC on Sundays.

Some pics from our visit earlier this year.

Was that the bruch at the four seasons? Looks amazing.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by JONEZY00
Was that the bruch at the four seasons? Looks amazing.
The InterContinental Singapore. Looks like the Lobby Bar.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 3:18 am
uk1
Suspended

As I said .. yes the IC.

It also had other things like traditional British Sunday roast and lots for people not wanting seafood. The Champagne was genuinely free-flow and was both rose and white. As you can see I liked the crab. It was very quiet and unrushed.

Old Aug 19, 2014, 4:00 am

Has anybody mentioned The Dancing Crab at Grandstand? ^
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by uk1
As I said .. yes the IC.

The perils of reading FT on a 3" screen ;-)

Thanks uk1 for the pictures and recommendation.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Been doing some research. I'd appreciate comments from personal experience with any of the following:

Tippling Club
Andre
Jaan
Old Sep 14, 2014, 2:26 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Been doing some research. I'd appreciate comments from personal experience with any of the following:

Tippling Club
Andre
Jaan
If you can wait a bit - we've reserved Andre for our trip (end of the month and will return early next month) - and will report back. Haven't reserved Tippling Club - but it's on our list of possibles. Pretty much rejected Jaan on the basis of this review:

http://www.andyhayler.com/restaurant/jaan

OTOH - Jaan has had a fair turnover in terms of chefs since Chef Andre left to open his own place - and perhaps it's improved in the last few years.

We've also reserved Robuchon. French food may not be the most obvious choice in Singapore - but I don't get to eat French food where I live (unless I cook it at home) - so I'll have a ^ French meal wherever I can find one (and we very much enjoyed Robuchon in Tokyo last year).

I am also determined to have (chilli) crab at a place higher than the "hawker" level - and this seems like a good choice to me:

http://www.jumboseafood.com.sg/

Robyn
Old Sep 15, 2014, 1:19 am

Programs: SQ TPP, UA 1K MM

Tippling Club
Andre
Jaan
Tippling Club and Andre are both world-class, and in my opinion stand up well against many of the 3-Michelin Star restaurants I've enjoyed in Tokyo, New York, Paris, and San Francisco. Ryan Clift (Tippling Club) and Andre Chiang (Andre) are both doing innovative things with food that really push the envelope. The vibe of each is very different -- TC is much more rock-n-roll and casual, while Andre is nearly silent and precious -- but both are well worth the price of the meal.

Haven't eaten at Jaan of late, but Julien Royer has an excellent reputation.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 2:48 am

Jumbo, No Signboard and Long Beach are quite similar for seafood and chili crab.
The East coast park location is nicer(to me) as it is beside the sea, in a park setting.
The clarke quay location is more convenient though.

Be sure to just get the normal Sri Lankan crab and not the super expensive Alaskan crab.

Originally Posted by robyng

I am also determined to have (chilli) crab at a place higher than the "hawker" level - and this seems like a good choice to me:

Robyn
Old Sep 15, 2014, 6:47 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Thanks, folks. Yes, robyng, I can wait. Will look forward to your report. I'm looking for a special place for a pre-Christmas dinner in December.

FWIW, I'm keen to bring wine from my collection. Good American wines are hard to find in the region and prices on wine lists are usually exorbitant.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 7:28 am
In memoriam

Thanks, folks. Yes, robyng, I can wait. Will look forward to your report. I'm looking for a special place for a pre-Christmas dinner in December.

FWIW, I'm keen to bring wine from my collection. Good American wines are hard to find in the region and prices on wine lists are usually exorbitant.
Like I've mentioned elsewhere - I can't drink wine these days. Before taking wine to Singapore - I'd check on things like duty-free allowances - and corkage fees and BYOB policies at various restaurants. Seems that corkage fees at restaurants that allow BYOB can be pretty high in Singapore (Restaurant Andre was charging 60 SD last year):

http://news.asiaone.com/print/News/L...21-424304.html

I would also explore the possibility of buying wine in Singapore to take to restaurants. Haven't really looked into it - but it's possible that Singapore has a better selection of wines from Australia and New Zealand than we have in the US (Singapore isn't very close to those places - but it's closer than the SE United States). Robyn
Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:17 am

Programs: SQ TPP, UA 1K MM
it's possible that Singapore has a better selection of wines from Australia and New Zealand than we have in the US (Singapore isn't very close to those places - but it's closer than the SE United States).
We have an excellent selection of wine from the AU/NZ region, as well as very good representation from Old World (France/Italy/Germany etc) and others (South America, South Africa). California wines are not particularly well represented, but that seems to be changing of late.

It's funny that you assume Singapore "isn't very close" to AU/NZ. Actually, Singapore is the closest major city to Sydney outside of those in AU/NZ. The wines from those countries are closer to us than any other major wine-producing region, hence their wide consumption in Singapore.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:11 am
uk1
Suspended

Robyn
There's nothing wrong at all with Jumbo Seafood. I suspect that more chilli crab is eaten in Singapore at Jumbo branches than many of the other places all added together.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 6:51 am

Thanks for the link, robyng. I bring my own more often than not (for a variety of reasons), but I'm especially keen on it where selection is limited and excise taxes are high. On that score, Singapore qualifies. I do note favorably the comments of some restauranteurs who permit corkage in recognition of some patrons' desire to bring from their own collection (as opposed to the bottle shop around the corner) and in order to encourage a wine-drinking culture--something Hong Kong is faring well with. Anyway, corkage-friendly restaurants will get my custom. Iggy's (where I've dined a couple of times already and brought my own), Andre, and others mentioned in the article are very much in the running, while the anti-corkage celebrity restaurants at MBS are off my list.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Thanks for the link, robyng. I bring my own more often than not (for a variety of reasons), but I'm especially keen on it where selection is limited and excise taxes are high. On that score, Singapore qualifies. I do note favorably the comments of some restauranteurs who permit corkage in recognition of some patrons' desire to bring from their own collection (as opposed to the bottle shop around the corner) and in order to encourage a wine-drinking culture--something Hong Kong is faring well with. Anyway, corkage-friendly restaurants will get my custom. Iggy's (where I've dined a couple of times already and brought my own), Andre, and others mentioned in the article are very much in the running, while the anti-corkage celebrity restaurants at MBS are off my list.
Without getting in the middle of the HK vs SG debate, HK duty on wine is significantly lower than SG's. That alone will stimulate consumption more than permitting corkage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.