Old Oct 13, 2013, 4:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
Originally Posted by invisible
:

1. Nature:
- Pulau Ubin
- Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve
- Bukit Timah
(McRitchie TreeTop walk is really good but it is well known)

2. History:
- Bukit Brown Chinese cemetery

3. Coastal walks:
- Walk from Harbourfront Centre to Labrador Park including Keppel Island
- Walk Park Connector Network at Punggol
- Walk Coastal Park Connector from Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal to/thru East Coast Park
- Walk from Changi Village to Changi Golf Course via Changi Point Park Connector

4. Food:
- enjoy food in a hawker center outside of CBD area: Tiong Bahru, Ghim Moh, Old Airport Road.

5. Entertainment:
- Enjoy Jazz at The Sultan Jazz Club Singapore
- Burn the floor dancing Latin music at Union Club at Amara Hotel
- Fly a kite at Marina Barrage on weekends

Your turn.
Allow me to add in some suggestions;

Nature: Labrador Park itself has some history pertaining to the fall of Singapore.

History:
Old Ford Factory at Bukit Timah - Where the Brits signed the surrender to the Japanese.

Food:
I am surprised no one mentioned Maxwell food centre especially with all the hype surrounding it now. The fish soup & chicken rice there are famous.

Hong Lim Food centre has nice char kway teow.

Perhaps you can tell me what you want to eat and I can tell you first hand where I usually go?

Entertainment:
Try a club or a thai disco?
Old May 24, 2015, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Round call for locals, long term residents and visitors who know Singapore better than locals (yes, there are such people on this forum) - anything new to contribute to this thread?
Old May 25, 2015, 7:04 am

The "not just a stopover" megathread has a few suggestions, including mine:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13732320-post57.html
Old May 26, 2015, 5:21 am

As Eminent plaza Hawker is a thing of the past, some new (smaller) Hawker centers have opened nearby.

The one next to the now gone old Hakwer (Lavender food court @ Zhuge Liang) has really tasty satay, 60 Cents each (Had pork, chicken, mutton, and one I forgot, I think it was venison - 10 piece minimum order but you can mix) which were fairly big and came with peanut sauce and onions (ie, the normal stuff) - tasty one.

Big chicken wings for 1.2$ also. Not incredibly cheap, but both satay and chicken were just perfectly done.

Another new Hawker center next to the Jalan Besar swimming complex has opened roughly 1 year ago, some good Laksa there to be found (and cheap at 2.8$ for a mid-sized bowl)

Both new Hawkers have good "beer lady service" (Tiger and Carlsberg available at 6.5$ each, will give you a bucket for 2 beers without complaints) and are decent for late-snacking in the area with couple stalls staying open past-midnight (Which has also many KTVs and thus late-traffic in the area) - good choices for both of them.
Old May 26, 2015, 10:02 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Singapore - off the beaten track. Recommendations

Beer lady service at hawkers has been stopped by the authorities.... (but the beer is still there sans service)
Old May 26, 2015, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by gilbertaue
Beer lady service at hawkers has been stopped by the authorities.... (but the beer is still there sans service)
I was there on the weekend just passed, and beer lady service was still very much existing. What I posted was as recent as two days.

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/sin...-centres-20150

Just read it.. well.. seems it is just right now being axed.. - edit: But only at NEA Hawkers. Smaller Hawkers will just got more attractive. I never liked the uber-big Hawkers anyway..

Seems Singapore does it's best to promote travel to Johor and Batam... Banning beer sales after 10.30pm, now this..
Old May 29, 2015, 10:25 am
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Singapore - off the beaten track. Recommendations

Was at lau pa sat tonight and the Tiger girls are still there.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 11:45 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Seems Singapore does it's best to promote travel to Johor and Batam... Banning beer sales after 10.30pm, now this..
If you're the type of person who comes to Singapore because of the hawker centre beer aunties, then absolutely you will be much happier in Batam. Have fun.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by crazycrab955
If you're the type of person who comes to Singapore because of the hawker centre beer aunties, then absolutely you will be much happier in Batam. Have fun.
lol.. you're fast at jumping to conclusions, aren't you?

No worries, absolutely no one will fly to Singapore for the beer aunties.. first, beer is more expensive in Singapore than even in Switzerland, and secondly, I'm not so much into aunties.

It's a nice service provided, as it's kind of tiresome to get every beer from the stall, having to check for ice buckets, etc. etc.

No surprise that some stall owners reported beer sales down by 75% without beer aunties around..
Old Jun 4, 2015, 1:44 am

Programs: KF Gold | IHG Amb | SPG LTG | HH Gold
Did someone mentioned Nasi Lemak before?
Far in the west (Boon Lay), there's a great Nasi Lemak at 221B Boon Lay Place.
It's called Boon Lay Power Nasi Lemak.

Also I belatedly realized that North Bridge Road Food Centre do serve affordable and good food as well
Old Jul 25, 2015, 7:26 pm

Henderson Waves, Hort Park, Kent Ridge Park area is quite interesting.

Here is a wiki article to Kent Ridge Park.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_Ridge_Park

Here is my walking experience on the 280M Canopy Walk. (free of charge)

How did I get here? I drove here, as seen in this video.

By public transport, there are other ways to get here. You can walk here from Hort Park. From the video, you can see that I am overlooking Hort Park nursery.
https://www.nparks.gov.sg/gardens-pa...erves/hortpark
Old Jul 25, 2015, 7:32 pm

Ghim Moh market and Holland Drive Food Center and market is a short walk from the Buona Vista MRT station. Not too difficult to get to using the MRT.

I go to Holland Drive food center quite often and this Kway Chap store is one of my fav for breakfast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.