Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Durians: Love or hate?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2013, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by flsunshineflyer
Slightly changing the subject.
I am sure there are many opinions, but who has the best mooncakes? Every hotel advertises them. I tried one in Chinatown. Wasn't impressed. I'm sure I did not buy from the best place!
Opinions?
Mooncakes could be a separate thread altogether.

As taste is subjective, suggest you go down to the Takashimaya Mooncake Fair at Ngee Ann City. Come on an empty stomach, try everything and choose what you like most.

To relate this back to the main topic, the good durian mooncakes, imo, are Regent Hotel, Four Seasons (Durian, not the hotel), Home's Favourites. I don't particularly fancy Goodwood Park, though it's very popular. Holiday Inn Singapore Atrium has surprisingly good durian mooncakes, though they don't market it much.

(It's a huge image, so I left out the image tags)
http://www.takashimaya-sin.com/files...d%20Autumn.PNG

Last edited by SQ319; Aug 16, 2013 at 12:34 am Reason: Spelling
Old Aug 19, 2013, 7:32 am

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by aster
S$60 here at Cold Storage. I believe it was from Malaysia. There were something like 8 pieces, does the durian have special bits that are the best/priciest?
That's pricey. Probably Mountain Cat King rather than D24 as that's the most expensive variety.

But it's unlikely to be particularly great. All durian aficionados know that they're best when they drop off the tree after ripening. By definition, that sort of durian doesn't keep. Bit like the peaches and strawberries sold here - the look nice, but have been plucked to ripen in transit and taste nothing like fruit plucked ripe.

The best durians are the wild ones harvested by the aborigines in Malaysia and sold in small towns. They're small, typically with just 2 to 4 fruit. Second best are mountain durians from old trees, which are slightly bigger with 6-8 fruit. The flavour is concentrated like nothing on earth (probably equivalent to gas warfare levels for some of the OPs here). Can't buy them in Singapore.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 10:15 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SQ319
I'm quite happy Hungry Ghost is ending in slightly over 2 weeks, it means the start of the mooncake season, and feasting on durian mooncakes (besides the fruit itself, of course)!! ^^
Just tried a durian mooncake, a box of which was given as a gift. It's really the aftertaste that gets me. The smell itself is definitely pungent, but not overwhelming. The taste is somewhat reminiscent of korean fermented soybean paste (doenjang), although a bit stronger and more pungent (imo). I wouldn't call it pleasant, although I could definitely see it being an acquired taste and understand why people like it. Flavor profile definitely does not mesh well with the western palate.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 8:41 pm

Programs: SPG, HH, AC/AS
Originally Posted by SQ319
Mooncakes could be a separate thread altogether.
Mooncakes could definitely be in a separate thread.... mmmm... ^

Does the St. Regis or RC Millennia also feature those of the durian variety?

I'm kind of on the fence about durians, it really depends on what I'm in the mood for, or in what form I'm eating it.

Stinky Tofu on the other hand, would be a love for me!
Old Nov 20, 2013, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Just tried a durian mooncake, a box of which was given as a gift. It's really the aftertaste that gets me. The smell itself is definitely pungent, but not overwhelming. The taste is somewhat reminiscent of korean fermented soybean paste (doenjang), although a bit stronger and more pungent (imo). I wouldn't call it pleasant, although I could definitely see it being an acquired taste and understand why people like it. Flavor profile definitely does not mesh well with the western palate.
Mooncakes are seasonal... and Mid Autumn ended exactly 2 months ago incidentally... I hope the durian mooncake you tried was properly kept (usually frozen for snowskin durian) and had not gone bad.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by dewidewi
Mooncakes could definitely be in a separate thread.... mmmm... ^

Does the St. Regis or RC Millennia also feature those of the durian variety?

I'm kind of on the fence about durians, it really depends on what I'm in the mood for, or in what form I'm eating it.

Stinky Tofu on the other hand, would be a love for me!
AFAIK, both RC and St Regis did not do durian mooncakes this year.

But then again, the flavours which the hotels/restaurants/shops do every year tend to change (except if it's a staple for the company, eg. Goodwood Park and their durian everything (puffs, cake, mousse, mooncake etc etc)).

You probably can't get any decent mooncakes now, so wait till next year August/September. The hotels/restaurants/shops are now preparing for CNY next year.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
I'm so glad this thread has flourished. Wonder when will be the next time I eat durian. Haven't had some in a while (I think about a year).
Old Nov 25, 2013, 9:42 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

There's a durian specialty store in T3, closer to the Skytrain than check-in.

How abominable...
Old Nov 26, 2013, 1:14 am

Programs: A3*G, AC, IHG Plat AMB
Question for the experts:

I haven't updated our itinerary to the most recent version, but one of the new additions to it is a stop at Gim Moh (on the way back from the botanic gardens) specifically to try some Durian.... because Durian. And I guess January's the second season?

Anyone have any opinions about Ah Seng Durian (as I've seen some good stuff written)? Or, if we're only looking to try some, what's the best way to go about this? Is there the chance we could just get a prt of one, or would it be better to just find some at a supermarket and pay the higher prices?
Old Nov 26, 2013, 4:47 am

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
When we lived in Taiwan, all my schoolmates, workmates, friends all told my wife and I that when we start to enjoy eating Durian is when you are sure that you really fit it. We can consider ourselves "local".

We tried, many times. Fresh just of the tree, ice cream, milk shake, frozen (which was at least edible) cookie form, dried - you name the type, I tried it. Sometimes it just wouldn't even go down the throat. I would start gagging just getting a whiff of the stuff.

The creamy type looks a lot like puss coming out of a infected wound. And it leaves a taste in my mouth a lot like throw-up after you ate too much cotton candy.

It truly smells like my workout socks after a couple of weeks molting in my gym bag in 30 degree summer.

Put me in the hate camp.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 8:31 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by Taiwaned
When we lived in Taiwan, all my schoolmates, workmates, friends all told my wife and I that when we start to enjoy eating Durian is when you are sure that you really fit it. We can consider ourselves "local".

We tried, many times. Fresh just of the tree, ice cream, milk shake, frozen (which was at least edible) cookie form, dried - you name the type, I tried it. Sometimes it just wouldn't even go down the throat. I would start gagging just getting a whiff of the stuff.

The creamy type looks a lot like puss coming out of a infected wound. And it leaves a taste in my mouth a lot like throw-up after you ate too much cotton candy.

It truly smells like my workout socks after a couple of weeks molting in my gym bag in 30 degree summer.

Put me in the hate camp.
Yep, what Taiwaned said. I grew up in Thailand and couldn't go native with durian even then, despite not having a problem with crunchy-fried grasshoppers and the like. Adulthood has not changed my mind on durian.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 9:03 pm

Now we have durian haters and durian lovers. Most of my friends are durian lovers and there are only a few durian haters.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Hmm, haven't had one in a while (couple of years). I think it's time to get some!
Old Jun 11, 2014, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by lcpteck
Hmm, haven't had one in a while (couple of years). I think it's time to get some!
Time for a SIN Durian DO?
Old Jun 11, 2014, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller
Time for a SIN Durian DO?
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.