Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Singapore Changi to City Center

Singapore Changi to City Center

Old Jan 6, 2015, 2:49 pm

Programs: united mileage plus
I'll be coming back to the airport in the early morning hours (flight to NRT @ 7am) and hotel is near the dhoby ghaut mtr. What should I expect to pay for the trip to Changi? I assume there are no shuttles or public buses at that hour. Last time I stayed out near the airport (Joo Chiat road) and was pleasantly surprised by the low fare back to the airport. My hotel told me $35 and I think I paid $17. Had a really nice driver, to boot.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 6:29 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by fdflys
I'll be coming back to the airport in the early morning hours (flight to NRT @ 7am) and hotel is near the dhoby ghaut mtr. What should I expect to pay for the trip to Changi? I assume there are no shuttles or public buses at that hour. Last time I stayed out near the airport (Joo Chiat road) and was pleasantly surprised by the low fare back to the airport. My hotel told me $35 and I think I paid $17. Had a really nice driver, to boot.
Most likely you want to be at Changi before 6AM, so you need to leave even earlier. In this case 50% surcharge applies for night time departure. Plus you might have to pay $3 surcharge for departure from the city center.

At the end you should not pay more than $25-$28. Also do not use Chisler (big black) taxi otherwise it wil cost you $15 more.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 9:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fdflys
Nicolas27 posted this link, http://www.taxisingapore.com/changi-airport/ which says the airport shuttle is 24 hrs, OK thats from the airport but I'd assume they run also to the airport. I wont be there till late Feb but thats how Im hoping to get back to SIN myself also for the 7am flight

If you will be there before me please post back if in fact the shuttle does pick-ups all hrs TIA
Old Jan 18, 2015, 10:01 pm

Just a quick update. The taxi from Changi to Clementi/Ngee Ann cost was around $ 33.50 both ways ( 12:40 am arrival and 6:50 am departure). Although taxi line at Changi was about 20-30 people long it did not take more than 10 minutes. Followed F/T advice and declined black taxi and took yellow- Comfort cab instead. Great driver! Going home used online app.for comfort /city cab to order taxi- took maybe 4-5 minutes to arrive. Thanks again!
Old Feb 2, 2015, 2:24 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
I used the Changi Shuttle for 8SGD to a citycentre hotel and was very pleased. Cheap and efficient.
For the way back to the airport, am I bound by MRT or taxi or are there other options to consider?
Old Feb 2, 2015, 5:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM bis
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
I used the Changi Shuttle for 8SGD to a citycentre hotel and was very pleased. Cheap and efficient.
For the way back to the airport, am I bound by MRT or taxi or are there other options to consider?
There's bus 36, however this might not be workable depending on when you board (it stops running around 11PM, only restarts around 6AM), and if your hotel is within reasonable walking distance of Orchard/Bras Basah Roads.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 11:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by invisible
Most likely you want to be at Changi before 6AM, so you need to leave even earlier. In this case 50% surcharge applies for night time departure. Plus you might have to pay $3 surcharge for departure from the city center.

At the end you should not pay more than $25-$28. Also do not use Chisler (big black) taxi otherwise it wil cost you $15 more.
How much more from around the Clarke Quay mtr? Have that same flight upcoming end of this month Can I simply use a US CC to pay are there any extra charges for doing so on the taxis end that I will be hit with?
Old Feb 2, 2015, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by craz
How much more from around the Clarke Quay mtr? Have that same flight upcoming end of this month Can I simply use a US CC to pay are there any extra charges for doing so on the taxis end that I will be hit with?
Left Hotel (IC at Bugis) at 5am for a 7 am NRT departure. Taxi was $30 with all surcharges. Paid with remaining SGD.
There is a CC surcharge; I think it is 10%. On the way in fare was around 19 and bumped up to about 21 for payment by non-SG credit card.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 5:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tentseller
Left Hotel (IC at Bugis) at 5am for a 7 am NRT departure. Taxi was $30 with all surcharges. Paid with remaining SGD.
There is a CC surcharge; I think it is 10%. On the way in fare was around 19 and bumped up to about 21 for payment by non-SG credit card.
Gonna be in town 2 nights (1 day) so was hoping not to get any SGD, since all I need to cover is the transport to/from SIN and my hotel near Clarke Quay.Although 10% is steep in the end it may be the cheaper option since there wont be any left over currency that wont get used
Old Feb 3, 2015, 5:08 am

Gonna be in town 2 nights (1 day) so was hoping not to get any SGD, since all I need to cover is the transport to/from SIN and my hotel near Clarke Quay.Although 10% is steep in the end it may be the cheaper option since there wont be any left over currency that wont get used
Not all Taxi accept CC. Comfort/City Cab (the largest operator) doesnt accept Visa.
Its wise to tell the cabbie before entering that you intend to pay by CC.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 5:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SQ325
Not all Taxi accept CC. Comfort/City Cab (the largest operator) doesnt accept Visa.
Its wise to tell the cabbie before entering that you intend to pay by CC.
I took this to mean they dont accept any CC, but they do take them MC or Amex (I think) just they had a falling out with VISA. The FD at my Hotel said all the cabs will take a MC. Anyway I took the shuttle here yesterday $9 waited 10 mis for it to leave only passenger, I have the FD calling them at 1am to see if they will have ashuttle running back to the airport tomorrow morn, if not I;ll cab it
Old Feb 25, 2015, 10:12 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
I took this to mean they dont accept any CC, but they do take them MC or Amex (I think) just they had a falling out with VISA. The FD at my Hotel said all the cabs will take a MC. Anyway I took the shuttle here yesterday $9 waited 10 mis for it to leave only passenger, I have the FD calling them at 1am to see if they will have ashuttle running back to the airport tomorrow morn, if not I;ll cab it
Not really. Not all taxis take credit card is correct. Some of the black taxis with yellow top dont. Some taxi drivers from other companies will tell you their system doesnt work. Dont depend on it.

Reasons behind this: Cash is king. Even more so for some taxi drivers. If you pay by cc they dont get the money straight away.
Some taxi drivers (especially the evening relief drivers) dont know how to operate the system.

CityCab/Comfort (blue or the yellow taxis) all dont accept VISA. Some of the drivers here too will tell you their cc system doesnt work.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 11:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gilbertaue
Not really. Not all taxis take credit card is correct. Some of the black taxis with yellow top dont. Some taxi drivers from other companies will tell you their system doesnt work. Dont depend on it.

Reasons behind this: Cash is king. Even more so for some taxi drivers. If you pay by cc they dont get the money straight away.
Some taxi drivers (especially the evening relief drivers) dont know how to operate the system.

CityCab/Comfort (blue or the yellow taxis) all dont accept VISA. Some of the drivers here too will tell you their cc system doesnt work.
Well the FD @ the HEX Clarke quay said they called the shuttle comp and they said they have nothing back to SIN for today. went downstairs and low & behold theres only a white MB not for me. Checked my emailm and then a Comfort cab pulled up. I asked him and he pointed to all the logos on the window that they accept and off we went.

It seemed as if he was heading the very long way, in the end that guy was great apx 12 mins to SIN total amount with the extra 10% for the CC and 50% night fee was 25.85 SGD. Had i gotten 40 SGD if thats even possible from an ATM I would have had to exchange $14+ at SIN and been left with some in my pocket. Im OK with using the CC and not having any SGD , not sure how much it would have cost to change back to USD so part of the $2.50 SGD i pd for using a CC is less then that in the end
Old Feb 26, 2015, 12:29 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by gilbertaue
I made a rule before getting into taxi ask: "Ezlink, can?"

If I get "can, can" in response - I get in. The same I do when call taxi via Grabtaxi - noting that I will pay with Ezlink.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:33 pm

Yes, check with the driver on your payment method before you board. I am sure all of them prefer cash, however, some may be willing to accept other payment modes too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.