Reload this Page >

Changi is NOT the world's best airport

Changi is NOT the world's best airport

Old Aug 25, 2013, 8:26 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

[QUOTE=ukdave0;21331647]
Originally Posted by douginguam
I like Changi , though the pre-boarding that always takes place [into the cattle cell] does diminish the (first/business) experience

Agree with this 100%. Having to queue with the cattle class for the boarding gate security check ruins a premium class flying experience.
No one is demanding that you join the queue when there's still a scrum to get into the holding area. Wouldn't it be great if there were CCTVs in the lounges/an app for this so you know exactly when to get on the queue? Well, maybe not- just get there twenty minutes before. You'll cause the FA to rush to get your welcome drink prepared, but I'd rather spend as much time as possible walking around a less limited space than a fuselage.

It's a mess for all classes, really. Sometimes, you go through security and then the flight is delayed. But for how long? You might want to leave to pick up some last-minute items, and then you have to go through security again.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 8:55 am

Too many times I've arrived at the gate from the lounge about 5 minutes before boarding is meant to close only for boarding not to start yet...
Old Aug 25, 2013, 9:01 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, SQ Silver
There have been times the queue for premium and gold on SQ boarding is as long as economy as almost every other passenger seems to be on Staralliance Gold nowadays and SQ Biz is often full. I usually relax and be one of the last to board after the long queues clear. Make sure they clear the airbridge - one can get stuck in them especially on economy, only thing is you have less time for champagne if you're flying J/F class! Chill out, make those last minute calls and e-mails or finish the chapter of your book!
Old Aug 26, 2013, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Too many times I've arrived at the gate from the lounge about 5 minutes before boarding is meant to close only for boarding not to start yet...
All whilst the screen is flashing "final call" I really find that bad at Changi. "Boarding" and "Final call" screens long before boarding has even started.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 6:51 am

Programs: CX Gold, Krisflyer PPS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
[QUOTE=ukdave0;21331647]
Originally Posted by douginguam
I like Changi , though the pre-boarding that always takes place [into the cattle cell] does diminish the (first/business) experience

Agree with this 100%. Having to queue with the cattle class for the boarding gate security check ruins a premium class flying experience.
I haven't been to Sing for about 2 years now and they used to have signs at the security check pointing for Biz/First pax - but once I tried and everyone in the line was looking if I was jumping the line. I pointed out the sign and a lady said I am traveling in business as well. So ........you should follow this sign as well. Then the security guy said there wasn't priority for Biz/First pax ...uhhh.....so why place this sign then .......no answer ........
Old Oct 26, 2013, 5:08 pm

I am traveling from south america to Maldives in a few days, I wonder if we purchase something liquid in the convince store inside the departure area, could we board the plane with those items, like deodorant, shampoo etc? do they place the items in a sealed bar or given to you at the embarkation gate?
This is my second time in SIN and i recall the security screening just at the gate.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by carenero
I am traveling from south america to Maldives in a few days, I wonder if we purchase something liquid in the convince store inside the departure area, could we board the plane with those items, like deodorant, shampoo etc? do they place the items in a sealed bar or given to you at the embarkation gate?
This is my second time in SIN and i recall the security screening just at the gate.
Unless connecting in the US or Australia (highly unlikely) then I think this is allowed.
(though for EU they must be in the sealed bags.)
Old Oct 26, 2013, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, KF Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Berkeley92
Recently, Changi Airport won Best Airport at CNN.

Perhaps the airport is nice, though I prefer the shops in HKG.

However, the security staff is simply ridiculously over the top. First of all, we often are searched ON ARRIVAL. Of all the countries I've been in, this is the first time where our bags and our bodies are invasively searched on landing. Yesterday, the security staff asked me to take out my iPad, then sent the iPad back through the xray machine by itself.

Today, I was thoroughly groped (patted) down. Just to be sure, he frisked me three times per limb. Firmly. And went through my wallet. It made me prefer to take my pants off in public just to avoid the overly invasive procedure.

I appreciate Singapore as a country and it is a very nice and orderly place. However, what they are doing with the security check is simply over the top. It really made me wish the TSA were running the security in Changi.

yep. Another whiner that disses the entire place based on one not up to expectation instance. Frankly, having traveled there about 40 times in the last 10 years, their efficiency makes me wish they could replace the TSA
Old Oct 27, 2013, 9:52 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Everytime I travel in or out of Changi we marvel at how wonderful it is.

Even when we have travelled on Air Asia or Scoot, the airport experience is just as wonderful as when we are seated in row 1 in a premium cabin
Old Oct 27, 2013, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by carenero
Yes you can. If your items are less than 1000ml in total with each item less than 100ml, the shop will just give you a ziplock bag to place all these items. If you are getting more than that, they will give you a sealed bag. Just double check again with the shop assistant.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 12:15 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
It is in my opinion one of the best airports in the world, but some travellers might be seeking for the perfect airport here...

The ambience of Changi airport is perhaps the best in the world, makes one feel like they are in a hotel or a mall and works very well for leisure travellers with no lounge access. And in South East Asia it is hard to find a comparable airport in terms of efficiency and efficacy.

On the other hand, I do prefer HKG a little bit more due to the hassle of security clearance at the gates and for the fact that it is much easier to look at airplanes and connect to the city.

But I like the fact that one can actually walk along all 3 terminals in Changi! Very few airports provide that convenience since modern airports are so huge it just makes more sense to take the 'connector' trains!
Old Oct 29, 2013, 12:23 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

I had a far more favorable and impressive experience coming out of the Crowne Plaza connected to the terminal and checking into my Singapore Airlines flight.
I assume I was in the newer terminal as opposed to my last impression transiting from one flight to another in a much more dated section of the terminal that was poor in every way
Its of my opinion which terminal one uses will have a positive or negative viewpoint. My new assessment is the terminals are not all consistent and of the same quality which may account for the more varied opinions here
Old Oct 29, 2013, 12:28 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
I had a far more favorable and impressive experience coming out of the Crowne Plaza connected to the terminal and checking into my Singapore Airlines flight.
I assume I was in the newer terminal as opposed to my last impression transiting from one flight to another in a much more dated section of the terminal that was poor in every way
Its of my opinion which terminal one uses will have a positive or negative viewpoint. My new assessment is the terminals are not all consistent and of the same quality which may account for the more varied opinions here
Yes, Changi Airport did some extensive renovations on Terminal 1 in the last few years though Terminal 1 is now fully renovated. Terminal 2 is probably the 'oldest' right now and probably in the poorest state though even then they still probably beat the crap out of many airports. And the fact that Changi continues to update and renovate their terminals is part of the appeal. Shows how much importance they put on passengers' well-being.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 12:43 pm

Landed Changi T2 Saturday at 4 pm. Immigration line took 55 minutes to get through. Lines were backed up nearly to the foot of the escalators. Had to then search for bags as they were moved off to the side of the belt. Once through, headed to Taxi queue where I waited another 25 minutes.
These as Manila airport levels of service. I fail to see to "the world's best" claims.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 2:00 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Yep, the Crowne Plaza connects to the newest Terminal, T3, but I'll give SIN slight credit for maintaining an anachronistic FIDS in T2. It's not quite FRA's, but it's good enough.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.