Singapore Hilton or Marriott

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2013, 7:50 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: United, Hilton
Singapore Hilton or Marriott

Hi,

If you had to choose between the Singapore Hilton on Orchard Rd or the Marriott across the street, which would you choose for a better room experience? Regular room, not executive level and views do not matter. Room comfort and features only. And only these 2 properties.

Any comments welcome. I am trying to decide which one to stay at. I can use all my Marriott points for a 4 night stay or spend $1,000 total for a pre-paid rate at the Hilton. I want one of these 2 properties for location (the Conrad is too far away).

Thanks. I appreciate it.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 9:06 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by rxziebel
Hi,

If you had to choose between the Singapore Hilton on Orchard Rd or the Marriott across the street, which would you choose for a better room experience? Regular room, not executive level and views do not matter. Room comfort and features only. And only these 2 properties.

Any comments welcome. I am trying to decide which one to stay at. I can use all my Marriott points for a 4 night stay or spend $1,000 total for a pre-paid rate at the Hilton. I want one of these 2 properties for location (the Conrad is too far away).

Thanks. I appreciate it.
Hilton has been around for a long time and they really need to renovate soon. Whole place is looking old... Marriott recently completed it's refurbishment process and should be quite fresh in terms of the hotel and rooms.

Not sure about the rest like service etc.... My old US classmate stayed in Marriott for a few days on points (during the renovation period) and he was happy. ^

Let's wait for feedback from the rest who actually stayed there.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 2:26 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Hilton is old and nothing special indeed, however I didn't stay at Marriott so can't compare. I would stay at Conrad, it is one of my favourite hotels and taking a cab to Orchard Road will cost you S$8. You can also walk to Orchard Road from Conrad but it takes roughly 25mins. There is MRT as well.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 7:46 pm

Programs: DL gold, Marriott Platinum, UA silver
I stayed at both hotels almost 2 years ago. The Marriott was in the middle of the redo. I enjoyed both. I would go for the Marriott with the updates. I also like that it is a block closer to all the stuff. And right at the MRT.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 10:26 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Hilton: You will always get wet when it rains and youre walking (to the MRT etc).

I'd go for the Marriott for the renovated rooms
Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I haven't stayed in either, but from the outside and lobby, I think I'd like to keep it that way. Marriott is a stop on the Sentosa express bus and at least has done some renovations. I'd guess more like a 45 minute walk to the Conrad, at least.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 3:03 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I haven't stayed in either, but from the outside and lobby, I think I'd like to keep it that way. Marriott is a stop on the Sentosa express bus and at least has done some renovations. I'd guess more like a 45 minute walk to the Conrad, at least.
From Conrad to Hilton it would be 45mins walk indeed, but to Orchard Road (313 Somerset) 25mins.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 8:28 am

I've always liked the Marriott better. Haven't stayed there since the renovation, but that would be my choice.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 8:17 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: United, Hilton
Thanks to all who replied. I will stick with the Marriott. I appreciate the advice.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 12:25 pm

Programs: LH Sen, AF/KL gold, AB platinum, BA silver, HHonors diamond, SPG gold, ...
Marriott

Glad you came to this decission as I was too slow to answer.
But same verdict: Both are overpriced (Marriott probably more so), both are ideally located for Orchard Road (Marriott allows to shop dry in the rain).
Marriott recently has been refurbished, Hilton urgently needs refurbishment.
Also status advantages at Hilton have been disappointing to non-existent over the last years.
For me a bad situation, since due to several poor stays (elsewhere) I have decided to give up my Marriott status.
But Conrad is better than both, closer to airport, to boat-quay and has a convenient connection to Orchard Road via MRT.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 3:43 pm

Marriott orchard road has a very nice executive lounge on the top floor.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 6:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, A3 Gold
Does the Marriott typically verify eligibility when staying on a corporate rate?
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Old thread I realize - but same question. Has the Hilton been renovated ?
Old Apr 19, 2019, 7:12 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by Braniff
Old thread I realize - but same question. Has the Hilton been renovated ?
I suggest posting a query in this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilt...apore-sgp.html

I stayed at Hilton Singapore a few years ago (didn't like it) and walked through their lobby more recently - I didn't care for the Chinese Night Market vibe of their lobby - to me, very strange experience and not at all what I would expect from a Hilton. Many better hotel options in Singapore.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:57 pm

Marriott for sure

A much better property and great location, especially being right above the Orchard MRT

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.