Search

Chinese New Year

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2013, 5:42 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

Chinese New Year

Having just returned from a great trip ... and have another in a few months I'd appreciate some help in thinking about an early 2014 trip.

I've been to Singapore a couple of times over CNY and all I can really recall is some things being closed and a great firework display. Next year I'd like to really grasp the occaision and immerse ourselves a bit more if we can.

I'd like to join in a bit more with the genuine festivities ie visit restuarants and places that the Chinese themselves use over the period. If there are festivities that we're the only non-Chinese there then all the better. If all we have is the atmosphere but can't understand a word ... I don't really mind. It's the experience we're after.

So the guidance I'm seeking is are all festivities home based or are they shareable by an outsider? If so what sort of things should we try to join? Or should we simply pick a different time to go?

Any ideas appreciated.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by uk1
Having just returned from a great trip ... and have another in a few months I'd appreciate some help in thinking about an early 2014 trip.

I've been to Singapore a couple of times over CNY and all I can really recall is some things being closed and a great firework display. Next year I'd like to really grasp the occaision and immerse ourselves a bit more if we can.

I'd like to join in a bit more with the genuine festivities ie visit restuarants and places that the Chinese themselves use over the period. If there are festivities that we're the only non-Chinese there then all the better. If all we have is the atmosphere but can't understand a word ... I don't really mind. It's the experience we're after.

So the guidance I'm seeking is are all festivities home based or are they shareable by an outsider? If so what sort of things should we try to join? Or should we simply pick a different time to go?

Any ideas appreciated.
Often the Chinese eat dinner at home during CNY
Old Jan 25, 2013, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM bis
Hi uk1, good to be able to weigh in once more on one of your questions.

Short answer: it may be possible, especially during the later part of the CNY period especially if you are friends with a local. (Now see long answer.)

As AA_EXP09 notes, we do eat dinner at home during CNY - but not always alone. However, the answer is a bit more nuanced than that. Chinese New Year is a celebration of the new year (lunar), so what more appropriate thing to do than to celebrate with family and friends? These celebrations, especially the ones at the beginning of CNY are reunions of family members. That's why one hears every so often of packed rail carriages on trains in China during the Spring Festival (CNY) period - everyone is going home in a way exactly the same as how Americans make to airports for Thanksgiving. These first and second day celebrations tend to be limited to family members with the occasional one-off exception. The difference from typical Western holidays is that CNY is technically two weeks long, so what happens is that more generalized celebrations and parties start to happen probably around the third and fourth day after the 1st. This is when folks throw parties for the people they want to be with (as opposed to who they have to be with), and that's when you have your chance at being invited. BTW the fun part about CNY in Singapore is that the majority of Chinese here have traditions that are somewhat at variance from what we're used to in the West so there's more to learn and experience!

Of course, you would first need to be reasonably close friends with a few Chinese Singaporeans first....

Alternatively some of the expat communities and embassies/High Comm will have their own celebrations, and will have local folks as active participants - they'll keep things authentic. I mention this in case presumably you have any connections?

There will be public activities, but it's the family and friends stuff that takes precedence.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by uk1
So the guidance I'm seeking is are all festivities home based or are they shareable by an outsider?
You may want to check out what festivals take place during Lunar New Year first:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese...ar#Festivities

I don't know how "traditional" Singapore sticks to these festivals. Generally speaking, I'll say Lantern Festival on the 15th may be the most inviting and entertaining. For instance, Sky Lantern Festival at Ping Xi, Taiwan has been an international event. I'll let the local chime in and tell you how they celebrate Lantern Festival (on Lunar January 15th) in SIN.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by lin821
You may want to check out what festivals take place during Lunar New Year first:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese...ar#Festivities

I don't know how "traditional" Singapore sticks to these festivals. Generally speaking, I'll say Lantern Festival on the 15th may be the most inviting and entertaining. For instance, Sky Lantern Festival at Ping Xi, Taiwan has been an international event. I'll let the local chime in and tell you how they celebrate Lantern Festival (on Lunar January 15th) in SIN.
It is not very traditional here at all. Some of us do spring cleaning and decorate our homes and go to temples (for Taoists and Buddhists mainly), but it never goes into hyper celebration for most families here. Some families are pretty intense though, which is great. Usually celebrated at home for most of us.

Some of the things you may enjoy is enjoying the Chinatown temporary stores selling all sorts of Chinese New Year goods and other crap. I have not been in a few years because I grew out of it a decade ago, but people still do go to Chinatown on the days preceding Chinese New Year as a sort of tradition and just to... soak in the atmosphere. It is not the most traditional one, but it was what my family used to do together when we were kids. There are usually television programs broadcast live from Chinatown on the eve of Chinese New Year, so there would be plenty of people.

No worries about not understanding anything, because you can just ask a local. Most speak fluent English, and some not-so-fluent English but they might be enthusiastic enough to want to explain things to you. Maybe head to a temple? Closed on the first day, can't remember about the second, and probably opened by the third.

There are ridiculous decorations at Chinatown sometimes. It is going to be the year of the Snake, and there is this huge 'controversy' about the decoration because apparently the snake's head they had was out of proportion with its body or something, so there's no snake head for the (square) body right now. Not too sure if it has changed.

You might see one or two lion dances around, but it is a dying trade and tradition practice. I think Ngee Ann City (shopping mall in Orchard Road) would have this in the first few days of the lunar new year because they are owned by a rather traditional group. Activities in Chinatown (Kreta Ayer) might be good for this too.

On the contrary to the Wikipedia article on festival activities on the 15th day, we don't throw oranges into the river for men to pick up, because 1. you'd get fined for littering, 2. the Singapore River is gross. I don't even know if there is anything going on on the 15th, or if it just passes us by. I'm going to assume it's the latter, and not my complete ignorance on the subject.

By the way, one of the 'traditions' my family have on the first day of Chinese New Year is eating at a Malay or Indian food stall for supper, because they are usually the only food stalls open. Basically just eat there and your stomach would be fine.

For Chinese New Year's eve, tough to get a table for Chinese food in restaurants (usually already booked for families). Unfortunately, I'm unable to advise on where to eat on this day because I'm usually with family who arranges everything.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 6:31 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by Ryvyan
It is not very traditional here at all.
That's my hunch. I just need the local to confirm it.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:17 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

Many thanks .... I think it was sort of my hunch as well. I really appreciate the trouble taken to provide wise guidance. Last year The IC put on a dragon show in front of the hotel.

So presuming I'll book somewhere for next year ...... what would be the best Chinese Restaurant that will be open for me to book for 2014 ......

I'll book it on my next trip in a few months.

Thanks again.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by Ryvyan
You might see one or two lion dances around, but it is a dying trade and tradition practice.
Having experienced several Chinese New Years as a resident of Chinatown (well, Outram Park), I beg to differ -- the darn drums are banging pretty much non-stop for the week before CNY, and you're highly likely to run into a troupe if you drop in to a hawker centre in the area. It's little short of an extortion racket, really, the modus operandi being to set up in front of a stall and drive away customers with the racket until the owner appeases the lion with a gift of lettuce and an ang pow of money.

But otherwise Ryvyan's on the money: unless you've got really good Chinese friends, the closest you'll get to a CNY experience as a visitor is to hit the Chinatown markets before the big day. Be warned, though, they get packed towards evening!
Old Feb 1, 2013, 5:57 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks.

I've given up on trying to find anything authentic and I'm simply going to concentrate on trying to find something edible. I've just booked the outward flights and I'll be adding the returns soon! There is still the fireworks ......
Old Feb 2, 2013, 7:42 am

Programs: AA plat pro, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by uk1
Thanks.

I've given up on trying to find anything authentic and I'm simply going to concentrate on trying to find something edible. I've just booked the outward flights and I'll be adding the returns soon! There is still the fireworks ......
Enjoy. At the very least it is lovely weather here right now
Old Feb 3, 2013, 1:04 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by silvergirl
Enjoy. At the very least it is lovely weather here right now
Oh I will .... and just to clarify ... we've just returned .... have a further visit in a few months .... and this thread was planning CNY 2014!

Anyone who keeps up with an earlier thread Singapore for first time / for a few days, NOT just a stopover will know of my somewhat (it seems) unusual enthusiasm for staying in Singapore rather than think of it as a staging post .... and we are now genuinely thinking of the 2014 CNY trip being somewhere between 14 and 21 days .....

How daft is that .......
Old Feb 3, 2013, 8:14 am

The only interesting thing for me during CNY in Singapore are the festive food.

Takashimaya basement is rocking an interesting food fair.
Lots of food samples and tasty CNY snacks.
The variety seems to have increased.

I have also been gobbling up tons of "love letters".
Old Feb 3, 2013, 9:31 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HawaiiO
The only interesting thing for me during CNY in Singapore are the festive food.

Lots of food samples and tasty CNY snacks.
The variety seems to have increased.

I have also been gobbling up tons of "love letters".
Thanks. My expectations have been lowered!
Old Feb 4, 2013, 1:50 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by HawaiiO
There will be a day or days during the CNY that even Takashimaya will be fully closed all day. Keep in mind that CNY is the only time of the year when even big stores in Singapore can come to a complete stand-still.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 7:48 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

This year .... unable to get anywhere worthwhile for CNY we will celebrate at home.

There is going to be:

Chicken broth with dumplings

Crisp & Savoury Dim Sum
Vegetable Spring Rolls
Mini Spare Ribs

Aromatic Crispy Duck & Pancakes and ...... shredded sweet red pepper, pointed cabbage, red onion, lettuce and cucumber ......and plum sauce

Crispy King Prawns with Chilli Sauce
Chicken Curry
Sweet & Sour Chicken in Batter
Chicken with Cashew Nuts

Egg Fried Rice Waitrose

I'm past caring whether it's authentic ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.