Wiki Posts
Search

4 Hour connection in SIN

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2012, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
4 Hour connection in SIN

Arriving at 1 pm and departing at 5pm. Is a trip into the city worth it? How long does it take?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 3:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF Gold, VA Gold, IC Diamond Amb., HH Diamond
For 4 hours, I wouldn't say so. Whilst not a big city in some ways, in reality you're only going to get maybe an hours wandering around before you need to think about heading back.

However, immigration is quick and taxis plentiful, it's definitely not an impossible task.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 3:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd enjoy the airport, including the butterfly garden, cactus garden (which unfortunately tends to be used as a smoking porch), koi ponds, etc. You could even use the airport swimming pool for the novelty. There's a big (for pay) slide, but it's land side, IIRC in T2.

Will you have lounge access? Where?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 5:46 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Up to you really. Do-able? Yes. Train takes about 35-40 mins, taxi 20-30 mins.

To arrive at 1 pm - allow 15 mins for immig, finding way to station, be in the city (by train) by 2pm at latest. To make flight at 5pm, you would want to be heading through immig again at 4:30pm at latest, so latest to leave city would be about 3:45pm. Gives you an hour and three quarters, may be and extra 10-15mins by taxi.

Last edited by lokijuh; Nov 21, 2012 at 7:21 pm
Old Nov 21, 2012, 6:34 pm

Programs: NH-SFC, SQ, UA, JL- JGC/Sapphire, AA, DL, IHG-Gold, SPG-Gold, Marriott-gold
Originally Posted by lokijuh
Up to you really. Do-able? Yes. Train takes about 35-40 mins, taxi 20-30 mins.

For example 4 pm - allow 15 mins for immig, finding way to station, be in the city (by train) by 5pm at latest. To make flight at 8pm, you would want to be heading through immig again at 7:30pm at latest, so latest to leave city would be about 6:45pm. Gives you an hour and three quarters, may be and extra 10-15mins by taxi.
Is it so ??
4hr connection means - arr SIN 1pm and dept SIN 5pm I think.
Then, immig, make a Q for a cab (or MRT) to the city and back -
at most 2-2.5hrs in the city.
If you know about SG and very much focused on what you want to do there,
it is ok on the assumption that you have a bording pass for the next one.
If not, could be somewhat hassle in case...
Do I misunderstanding the itinerary ???
Old Nov 21, 2012, 6:40 pm

Programs: NH-SFC, SQ, UA, JL- JGC/Sapphire, AA, DL, IHG-Gold, SPG-Gold, Marriott-gold
Just for your info - if you have 5hrs or more for transit, there are some options
for free SG tour. http://www.etour-singapore.com/free-singapore-tour.html

An interesting comment here in the site :
>1.Many transit passengers with limited time have often tried to 'do their own tours',
>thinking that it'll be more interesting. But if it's your first time transiting through
>Singapore and you are not familiar with the place, this can often be hit-or-miss.
>I recommend the above tours to you instead.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 7:20 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by kazuwox
Is it so ??
4hr connection means - arr SIN 1pm and dept SIN 5pm I think.
Th
Thanks. It would help if I actually read the post properly, not just the heading! I will edit my post accordingly. If I had read it properly I would not have used an example.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 3:26 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
I had similar times and was contemplating going into town, but after speaking to one of the helpful booth people mentioned I just wanted a haircut, food and gentle non top end shopping (and to stretch my legs and get out of Changi) he directly me to a shopping mall at Tampines (*do double check this - i'm sure it's right though*).

It's 4 stops on the MRT (albeit with a change which meant crossing the platform) and drops you outside a decent mall with an outside market. Got a nice cheap massage, food and some bits and bobs. Wasn't a top end store mall, but you can get that type of stuff at the airport. Even has a cinema. Getting to / from airport is easiest thing in the world.

Might be an option?
Old Nov 22, 2012, 5:07 pm

Programs: ROP Gold
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
I had similar times and was contemplating going into town, but after speaking to one of the helpful booth people mentioned I just wanted a haircut, food and gentle non top end shopping (and to stretch my legs and get out of Changi) he directly me to a shopping mall at Tampines (*do double check this - i'm sure it's right though*)
:
:Might be an option?
This is an excellent tip.

I will tell my friends the same thing the next time their stopover is just a couple of hours so that they have a feel of how local SIngaporeans live.

I usually ask them to do something at the airport.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:56 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I'd recommend the taxi driver to take you to the East Coast Parkway Hawker Stalls for some real food (chili crab). It's close to the airport. You could easily accomplish this round trip in 2.5 hours with a visit to the local beach.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Moving this to a more appropriate forum... like Destination:Singapore !

Thx

Guy Betsy
Singapore Airlines Krisflyer forum co-mod
Old Dec 1, 2012, 9:07 am

There's a bus 27 you can take from the basement of either terminal at the airport that would bring you directly to Tampines interchange, so that's an alternative from taking the train. Both would bring you through the heartlands of Singapore.

I would say it takes a wee bit longer on the bus than the train though, and you won't spot the shopping malls; just ask though (3 of them at Tampines: Tampines Mall, Century Square and Tampines One - all located near the MRT station)
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:30 am

Or you could book a cab for 4 hours to explore Changi Village. The "village" is like a sleepy version of Singapore about 10-15 years ago. You can try the local food at the hawker centre (the local "nasi lemak" is a must), hop into a local bar for a drink, check out the jetty with the old bum-boats ferrying passengers to the nearby islands etc.

Changi Village is just minutes from the airport.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 9:27 pm

And for "bar", there's really only one option: Charlie's Corner, which has what may be the largest selection of beer on the island.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 7:46 pm

Programs: QF FF, LH Miles&More, DL SkyMiles, Hertz #1 Club Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by thespaguy
Or you could book a cab for 4 hours to explore Changi Village. The "village" is like a sleepy version of Singapore about 10-15 years ago. You can try the local food at the hawker centre (the local "nasi lemak" is a must), hop into a local bar for a drink, check out the jetty with the old bum-boats ferrying passengers to the nearby islands etc.

Changi Village is just minutes from the airport.
IIRC, the hawker center is undergoing renovations right now and will only be back in operation in 2014.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.