Wiki Posts
Search

Plane/Airline Recommendations to Singapore

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2024, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Plane/Airline Recommendations to Singapore

Hi All,

Long time lurker and have posted a little before. I am looking for some recommendations on the best route/planes to take. I will be flying in business to Singapore from Sioux Falls, SD in April and back. I will leave on a Monday and return on Sunday. The last trip to Singapore I flew United the whole way FSD-ORD-SFO-SIN and then reverse on the way back. Is there any better routing/plane/airline (I prefer Star Alliance as I have status/would like to retain my status) but I'm open to others.

Thanks!
Old Feb 15, 2024, 2:19 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Singapore Airlines is a member of the Star Alliance network. The have daily non-stop flights between the US and Singapore, SFO 2X, JFK, EWR and LAX, and 3 weekly flights to and from SEA.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TWA884
Singapore Airlines is a member of the Star Alliance network. The have daily non-stop flights between the US and Singapore, SFO 2X, JFK, EWR and LAX, and 3 weekly flights to and from SEA.
I'm aware... Is it worth the cost to use them from SFO?
Old Feb 16, 2024, 8:01 am

Programs: BAEC GFL (Only took 30 years)
Originally Posted by tink24
Hi All,

Long time lurker and have posted a little before. I am looking for some recommendations on the best route/planes to take. I will be flying in business to Singapore from Sioux Falls, SD in April and back. I will leave on a Monday and return on Sunday. The last trip to Singapore I flew United the whole way FSD-ORD-SFO-SIN and then reverse on the way back. Is there any better routing/plane/airline (I prefer Star Alliance as I have status/would like to retain my status) but I'm open to others.

Thanks!
United via Denver and SFO may be you best for cost/duration.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 11:31 am

What status and what airline do you have.

Eg, if you're looking for United, sometimes preferred partner PQP earns more than flying united itself. So routing SIN-Tokyo-CONUSA (ana) and conusa-sioux falls (UA), may provide more pqp than flying entirely on united.

But you have to ticket via ANA not United, and ANA doesn't offer as generous "no change fee" policy like united. Ana and united should be offering same/similar fares for this route due to joint venture. And preferred partner PQP has a cap per leg

SQ is not a preferred partner for united, so probably not worth it due to lower pqp cap

Last edited by paperwastage; Feb 16, 2024 at 11:40 am
Old Feb 20, 2024, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Thanks! I'm premier platinum on United. I would love to get to 1K this year but I think I will be a few thousand PQP short even though I'm also flying to Amsterdam next month.

Mostly I was wondering if there are any airport lounges or planes with cool business class seating that I should be trying out. United is okay but wanted to know if there was anything else that I should take into consideration to look into...
Old Feb 20, 2024, 4:07 pm

Thanks! I'm premier platinum on United. I would love to get to 1K this year but I think I will be a few thousand PQP short even though I'm also flying to Amsterdam next month.

Mostly I was wondering if there are any airport lounges or planes with cool business class seating that I should be trying out. United is okay but wanted to know if there was anything else that I should take into consideration to look into...
for *A?

Ana the room on limited routes from USA-Tokyo. https://www.ana.co.jp/en/us/travel-i...usiness-class/
​​​​​​

Airport lounge? Only if you get SQ F lounge at SIN (SIN-CONUSA either direction ) or LH F (first class terminal) departing from FRA. Don't think there are any other * alliance business lounges worth the special trip

OR you want 747 upper deck? Believe LH and OZ (*alliance) still flies them right now
Old Feb 21, 2024, 8:38 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Rhetorical question - does money matter? You can fly SQ non-stop from SFO, but expect for business it will be close to 1.5x-2x of price of UA.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by invisible
Rhetorical question - does money matter? You can fly SQ non-stop from SFO, but expect for business it will be close to 1.5x-2x of price of UA.
Really depends on route/load. Sfo-sin is quite competitive, and I wager that OP's FSD-SIN is super uncompetitive ( may make sense for OP to buy separate tickets to an intl gateway - SFO/lax/ewr/MAN etc, but with risks of separate tickets)

Eg sfo-sin RT 8/14-8/21, SQ /UA nonstop and NH(tyo) have same price $4630 (NH has a bit more airport fees due to tyo stopover).

Similar dates for FSD-SIN, haha (6-8k)
Old Feb 22, 2024, 12:23 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by invisible
And 3 times at least better service too.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 8:21 am

There are many stops through Tokyo, Hong Kong, even London or Helsinki if in Europe. There's also direct Singapore Airlines from New York I believe and San Francisco, or Seattle and Newark in the U.S. These are the most common from my perspective.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.