Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Is there enough time?

Is there enough time?

Old Mar 25, 2012, 3:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: HGP/SPG: Apprentice Kettle; UA/AA/DL: Journeyman Kettle
Is there enough time?

I will be arriving in SIN on flight SQ-865 and would like to depart on 5J-548 (Cebu Pacific). The issue is that SQ-865 arrives at 22:10 [if on time] and 5J-548 departs at 00:20. That gives me 2 hours and 10 minutes [assuming they arrive and depart on time, respectively] to deplane, clear immigration and customs, transit the airport and board the next flight.

I can not put the flights on the same PNR because a. 5J is a LCC and b. the SQ-865 flight would be on an award ticket, while the 5J-548 would be a purchased ticket.

SQ-865 appears to arrive in Terminal 2, while 5J-548 departs from the Budget Terminal. A quick check shows that recently SQ-865 as arrived as late as 22:45. I was not able to find the actual departure times for 5J-548.

Is there enough time to make the transfer/connection or should I seek alternative arrangements?

From the Changi website:

Please arrive at your departure gate at least 30 mins before the departure time as gates close 10 minutes before departure time.

Kindly proceed to clear Arrival Immigration, collect your baggage (if any) and clear Customs before checking-in at the respective terminal for your connecting flight. ... If your connecting flight is at The Budget Terminal, please take the free shuttle bus service at Terminal 2 Basement to The Budget Terminal.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 8:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
Today's SQ 865 landed into T3 at 10:07pm.

SQ arrivals' terminals are not fixed and you could be arriving into T2 or T3.

T2 arrivals would be easier as the shuttle bus to Budget Terminal is at T2.

If you land into T3, you have to take sky train to T2 and change to the bus.

Do you have checked in baggages?

It is doable so long SQ 865 reaches on time but bear in mind that if it arrives late and you miss your connection, you cannot get a refund on Cebu's side.

To be safer, I would seek alternatives but you can risk it.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 8:38 am

Check-in deadline would be 45min before departure if you have luggage. So you would need to be there latest by 23:30. Assuming the late arrival 22:45, collect luggage take shuttle bus to Budgetterminal.
Possible, but tight.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tycosiao
Today's SQ 865 landed into T3 at 10:07pm.

SQ arrivals' terminals are not fixed and you could be arriving into T2 or T3.

T2 arrivals would be easier as the shuttle bus to Budget Terminal is at T2.

If you land into T3, you have to take sky train to T2 and change to the bus.

To be safer, I would seek alternatives but you can risk it.
Originally Posted by SQ325
Check-in deadline would be 45min before departure if you have luggage. So you would need to be there latest by 23:30. Assuming the late arrival 22:45, collect luggage take shuttle bus to Budgetterminal.
Possible, but tight.

Thanks for the replies. It looks like I should change to another flight to get to Cebu. I would prefer to take 5J-548 but it is better not to risk losing the money for that flight as it appears very likely that I would miss the connection if any little thing goes wrong.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 7:14 pm

If you havnt redeemed your ticket with SQ yet:

You could fly directly to Cebu on CX, would save some hassle.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SQ325
If you havnt redeemed your ticket with SQ yet:

You could fly directly to Cebu on CX, would save some hassle.
I have looked into flying into Cebu using CX but I could not find award availability that fit my schedule as I am traveling from East Coast USA. Maybe the CO/UA tool does not show all available awards, but that is what I am using to see flights that I can use.

Last edited by MIT_SBM; Mar 25, 2012 at 10:44 pm
Old Mar 26, 2012, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by MIT_SBM
I have looked into flying into Cebu using CX but I could not find award availability that fit my schedule as I am traveling from East Coast USA. Maybe the CO/UA tool does not show all available awards, but that is what I am using to see flights that I can use.
The CO/UA tool will not show any CX awards AFAIK
Old Mar 27, 2012, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tycosiao
The CO/UA tool will not show any CX awards AFAIK
Sorry, I mis-typed.

Cathay Pacific is OneWorld and not Star Alliance. I did ask an AA CSR to look for CX flights but he could not find availability across the pacific on the dates that I wanted. The CSR also told me that I'd have to use two awards to transit through Europe from the USA.

What I did check using the UA/CO tool were Asiana flights but their arrival time into Cebu was too late for me.

I will not correct my post above since it is what I wrote at the time but you are correct.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Update: 27 March 2012

I have a little less than 8 hours left in my 24 hour post booking grace period.

I have booked SQ25 which is supposed to arrive in SIN at 06:35 and SQ916 which is scheduled to depart SIN for MNL at 14:10. And I get to ride in an A380-800 as well as a B777-200ER so maybe I can see what all the hype is about.

I will still have to get from MNL to SIN but the LCCs in PH seem to be plentiful and cheap. Though it would have been nicer if I could have traveled directly to CEB from SIN.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:38 am

Would this be considered an okay connecting time?

Air Asia arrival at 11:45AM at T1, connecting to a 13:45 JetStar at T1 with no luggage.

Assume flight is 30 minute-late. Thats' 12:15PM -- clearing immigration at the most 15 minutes. That's 12:30PM -- still 1 hour and 15 minutes to allow document check at JetStar counter (we will have checked in online and printed BP before hand)
Old Apr 3, 2012, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by broadwayboy

Air Asia arrival at 11:45AM at T1, connecting to a 13:45 JetStar at T1 with no luggage.

Assume flight is 30 minute-late. Thats' 12:15PM -- clearing immigration at the most 15 minutes. That's 12:30PM -- still 1 hour and 15 minutes to allow document check at JetStar counter (we will have checked in online and printed BP before hand)
Yeap, I would do it.

I would also check the average delays of past flights for your Air Asia flight.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 3:48 am

I don't think you will have to clear immigration since both flights are from the same terminal. Given that, you should be fine in terms of time.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 6:16 pm

Don't I need to have my documents checked land-side for Jet Star? Even if I have boarding passes already?

Originally Posted by hyderago
I don't think you will have to clear immigration since both flights are from the same terminal. Given that, you should be fine in terms of time.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 2:49 am

Don't I need to have my documents checked land-side for Jet Star? Even if I have boarding passes already?
I don't know. I thought that if you already had your boarding pass, you could just go to the gate. If necessary, the gate agent will check your documents.

Again, I'm not too sure about this. I have no direct experience with this type of transfer, just second hand stories.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 4:17 pm

I went by T1 transit desks and see that Jetstar's logo on the screen.

You might be able to do so airside but just in case you can't, do plan in ample time for immigration clearances.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.