Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Camera Shopping?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2011, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Camera Shopping?

Where is the best general area to buy a simple point-and-click camera in Singapore? How to do the prices compare to HK and the US?
Old Nov 6, 2011, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
The Funan Digitalife Mall and Sim Lim Square are both good. You will probably get a better price in SLS if you like negotiating.

No idea how prices compare to HK or US, but they're pretty close to UK prices now :/
Old Nov 6, 2011, 4:44 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
For point-and-clicks, the US has some of the cheapest (online) pricing around.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 7:26 pm

Electronics used to be cheap in SIN but no longer I feel.

Some of the prices are cheaper in the US.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 12:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
Warning!

As someone has mentioned SLS,

I would only recommend SLS if you really know your stuff, if not, please avoid it at all costs. Lucky Plaza too. The scam rate at these places are too high but if you really know your stuff, you of course can get good deals.

I would recommend you to head to Funan or the large electronic stores like Harvey, Courts and etc etc.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by tycosiao
I would only recommend SLS if you really know your stuff, if not, please avoid it at all costs. Lucky Plaza too. The scam rate at these places are too high but if you really know your stuff, you of course can get good deals.
Agreed. You need to be really careful at SLS and LP since they will sell you cameras at cheap prices, but without key accessories (such as batteries, cords, etc). Also, if I remember well, these transactions are done in cash. So you will not have a receipt that will enable you to get a VAT refund. Given this, you will find that buying in the US is generally a better deal (especially for low-end models).
Old Nov 10, 2011, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Cameras I find it cheaper in the US, especially in NYC at adorama. I bought my panasonic there and got a good deal, but don't buy their warranty. I checked pricing in Singapore its not cheap.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
If shopping for cameras in NYC I would make B&H my only port of call.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 9:48 pm

Agreed with others about avoiding SLS. My husband went around to look for some computer parts and other things. Fortunately he knows his stuff and couldn't believe how they were trying to con him. When he would tell them they were wrong on certain things and that they were charging more than they should, they got very rude. It's not like it used to be years ago.
My husband's advice, you can find cheaper in US/Canada.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 6:42 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MIleagePlus, Skywards
I am American and living here in SIN and suggest you buy in the US. You can't beat the competitive environment of the US.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 11:57 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, Flying Blue, Skywards
I would normally check out the websites for Alan Photo or Cathay Photo before heading out to buy a camera...just to make sure the shops aren't ripping me off! They don't always have the best prices but it helps to get an estimate. Best to have a local go with you so they don't do the 'foreigner-let's-rip-him-off' tactic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.