FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-510/)
-   -   Toronto to Singapore (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore/1170280-toronto-singapore.html)

C-Kay Jan 9, 2011 2:51 pm

Toronto to Singapore

Which is better: via Vancouver/HK or via London?
Anyone done these routes before can let me know their travel experiences?
How was the 15hrs flight from Toronto to HK? Less tiring if I transit in Vancouver?
I'll be travelling with my 18mth old son.

WannaFlyJ Jan 9, 2011 7:41 pm

Its a VERY long way either way you go. Check out Singapore Airlines Newark-Singapore (SQ21/22) which is non-stop.

If taking AC YVR or YYZ to HKG, you should have enough time to make the last SQ flight to SIN (SQ871).

JHattery Jan 10, 2011 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by WannaFlyJ (Post 15621888)
Its a VERY long way either way you go. Check out Singapore Airlines Newark-Singapore (SQ21/22) which is non-stop.

If taking AC YVR or YYZ to HKG, you should have enough time to make the last SQ flight to SIN (SQ871).

There's also the JFK-FRA-SIN route on SQ with a minimal layover....

YVR Cockroach Jan 10, 2011 6:52 pm

Wouldn't transit in YVR because it adds another stop.

If ticket costs aren't an important consideration, I would avoid transit through the U.S. on the way back (just adds to the hassle) if you are considering such a routing.

Not sure what the schedule is but KL via AMS isn't a bad option as far as an easy transit goes, and AMS has rest and play areas for families. CX via HKG is also another one-stop option with a relatively-easy connection. Not sure how the schedules for the Gulf airlines are.

Not sure how good the other airports in Europe are (I think BA requires a terminal change at LHR - not something fun even for the child-free).

aabrock2187 Jan 10, 2011 7:30 pm

I did YYZ-HKG-SIN with CX back in September. i left on the 1:30am flight out of Toronto; not the most convenient but allowed for a good night's sleep with a sunrise arrival at HKG, which is a great airport to transit in my opinion.

C-Kay Jan 11, 2011 8:46 am

Originally Posted by aabrock2187 (Post 15630052)
I did YYZ-HKG-SIN with CX back in September. i left on the 1:30am flight out of Toronto; not the most convenient but allowed for a good night's sleep with a sunrise arrival at HKG, which is a great airport to transit in my opinion.

Thanks for the info.
I have a friend who also took the CX in sept to SIN and told me it wasn't too bad (for one second I thought you were her hubby! lol)

I guess the service on CX is far better than AC :)

Guy Betsy Jan 12, 2011 1:41 pm

Another good option is maybe with EVA Airways via TPE. Transit time is around 2 hours only. Though the flight is not daily from Toronto.

If you take AC, your best connecting point is at HKG, where you will connect onto SQ's A380 flight to SIN. Please note however if you book on AC's website, AC will book you onto their codeshare with SQ which is in a booking class that does NOT earn any miles! It doesn't matter what the AC website says, you can't change this.

The only way to make sure that you will get miles connecting onto SIN is to book it as a SQ flight number. You would definitely need the services of a travel agent to do this for you! The fare is the same as AC's website.

Always remember this - flying via transatlantic is usually more expensive than flying via transpacific even though the latter's distance might be longer.

C-Kay Jan 13, 2011 7:09 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy (Post 15644060)
Another good option is maybe with EVA Airways via TPE. Transit time is around 2 hours only. Though the flight is not daily from Toronto.

If you take AC, your best connecting point is at HKG, where you will connect onto SQ's A380 flight to SIN. Please note however if you book on AC's website, AC will book you onto their codeshare with SQ which is in a booking class that does NOT earn any miles! It doesn't matter what the AC website says, you can't change this.

The only way to make sure that you will get miles connecting onto SIN is to book it as a SQ flight number. You would definitely need the services of a travel agent to do this for you! The fare is the same as AC's website.

wow I didn't know about the codeshare miles thing :eek:. I was going to book on AC's website.

I'll check the EVA airways.

Thanks for the info.

mileageking Jan 16, 2011 8:15 pm

I've booked on ac.com to SIN many times using AC flight # (codeshared with SQ) and have always had miles from my SQ flights credited to my AP account automatically. I've never had an issue once.

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy (Post 15644060)

Always remember this - flying via transatlantic is usually more expensive than flying via transpacific even though the latter's distance might be longer.

Persepolis Jan 16, 2011 8:28 pm

Can even transit Dubai on EK, but that's far south enough that I suspect (without checking) it must add some time to the trip . . .

Toadman50 Feb 9, 2011 6:39 am

Originally Posted by C-Kay (Post 15649197)
wow I didn't know about the codeshare miles thing :eek:. I was going to book on AC's website.

I'll check the EVA airways.

Thanks for the info.

I have taken the LAX-TPE-SIN route multiple times on EVA. It is their newer 777-300ER, and it is a great airline. Good food, asia style service, the layover in TPE is not bad, not the newest airport, but very nice, and comfortable. I have stayed in the EVA lounge in TPE, and it is a bit dated as well, food is a bit limited (unless you like hot dogs), but once again comfortable.
I always flew business class on EVA, but there is a Evergreen Deluxe, which is like the old style business class seats that are not much more than economy.

I was excited to see that they started offering service out of Toronto.

Swiss Tony Feb 9, 2011 10:05 pm

How about the Swissair codeshares through Zurich?

Zurich airport has an absolutely fantastic kids playroom/nursery with changing stations, microwave, toys for a wide range of kids etc.

9pm-ish out of Toronto so probably not too disruptive with sleep patterns at that end, 6am into Singapore.

Add to that the fact the airport is relatively compact (although the play room is in the Schengen zone so you'd have to go through passport control to get there).

I see the fastest way seems to be Air Canada daytime flight to London picking up the BA flight to Singapore. This doesn't involve a terminal change but would probably be a terrible flight for timings with a baby...

Yahtzee Feb 13, 2011 6:41 pm

You could also go through Tokyo and switch over to ANA for the Singapore leg. I had this on a miles trip coming up -- needed to change the dates and am now going through HKG with final leg in United coach (blech).

Guy Betsy Feb 16, 2011 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony (Post 15836582)
How about the Swissair codeshares through Zurich?

Travel from North America to Asia via transatlantic will always be more expensive than transpacific.

Swiss Tony Feb 16, 2011 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy (Post 15877020)
Travel from North America to Asia via transatlantic will always be more expensive than transpacific.

But where does the OP say anything about cost? With the question they ask they're more concerned about departure times and ease of transit at the intermediate point.