FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-510/)
-   -   Singapore Transit visa for Indian national holding USA work Visa (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore/1162768-singapore-transit-visa-indian-national-holding-usa-work-visa.html)

themonk Dec 21, 2010 3:20 pm

Singapore Transit visa for Indian national holding USA work Visa

I am travelling from USA to India via Singapore. I am planning to stay in singapore for 1 night/2 days. As I do not have enough time to take a singapore visa before I leave USA, I am betting on the VFTF (visa free transit facility) for my stay there.

I satisfy all the below conditions for the the VFTF.
• Validity of Indian passport and USA visa till 2012;
• Enough money to last for the intended period of stay in Singapore; (Do we need to show bank statement for this?)
• Confirmed onward/ return tickets;

What are the documents we should produce for the immigration officer at the airport for VFTF?

What is the probability of getting a VFTF on landing at Changi Airport? If it is doubtful, what are my other options? I have only a week left before I start from USA, can I still apply for a Singapore Visa in USA?

jpatokal Dec 22, 2010 4:38 am

If you fulfill the conditions and don't raise any obvious flags, you'll get the VFTF. Onward ticket, US long-term visa and hotel reservation (or some other place to stay) should be enough. As far as I know "sufficient funds" isn't defined, and it's pretty unlikely you'll be asked, but having a credit card or a few hundred dollars in cash should suffice.

You didn't say where in the US you are, but most Sg embassies can process visa applications in 2-3 days. Unlikely to be worth the hassle though.

themonk Dec 22, 2010 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by jpatokal (Post 15502047)
If you fulfill the conditions and don't raise any obvious flags, you'll get the VFTF. Onward ticket, US long-term visa and hotel reservation (or some other place to stay) should be enough. As far as I know "sufficient funds" isn't defined, and it's pretty unlikely you'll be asked, but having a credit card or a few hundred dollars in cash should suffice.

You didn't say where in the US you are, but most Sg embassies can process visa applications in 2-3 days. Unlikely to be worth the hassle though.

Thanks for the reply.

I am in the Bay Area. The nearest Singapore consulate is in San Francisco. I called them and they said it takes 5 days to process the visa. Considering the Chritmas and new year holiday season, I have exactly 5 working days left before I start. If the processing gets delaed by even 1 day, my passport will be stuck with them, I can not travel at all.

So decided to go with the VFTF on arriving in Singapore.

roadspower Jan 9, 2011 7:53 pm

Hi, Can you share your travel experiences? I am planning to visit my friends in singapore on the way back from India to US. Please share us your recent experience with "Visa Free Transitt Facilities" Also, is it mandatory I have to book a hotel for one night stay?

tomcat007 Nov 4, 2011 11:55 am

Does anyone have any experience of using this VFTF?