FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-510/)
-   -   how much is a taxi from SIN to downtown? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore/1115740-how-much-taxi-sin-downtown.html)

Jasper2009 Aug 12, 2010 5:59 pm

how much is a taxi from SIN to downtown?

Iīll be travelling to SIN for the first time and will be arriving at SIN at around 11p.m..
How much should I expect to pay for a taxi ride from SIN to the Fairmont hotel? Or would you rather recommend a private limousine service?
Am I correct that itīs not normal practice to tip?

Thankīs!

snod08 Aug 12, 2010 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009 (Post 14471764)
Iīll be travelling to SIN for the first time and will be arriving at SIN at around 11p.m..
How much should I expect to pay for a taxi ride from SIN to the Fairmont hotel? Or would you rather recommend a private limousine service?
Am I correct that itīs not normal practice to tip?

Thankīs!

No tipping. Correct.

Taxi at that time will cost around 30 Sing $ or so.

Private limo can vary ...some hotels charge 75$

frensbuy Aug 12, 2010 10:52 pm

use this local web service to see the actual rates by train/bus/taxis

www.gothere.sg

(i m not part of this company/service)

Braindrain Aug 12, 2010 10:55 pm

I remember it was around $15-20 USD.

snod08 Aug 13, 2010 4:20 am

THe OP will be riding after 11PM...there will be a 50% midnight surcharge.

yihao69 Aug 18, 2010 6:17 am

A quick calculation from this website:

http://www.taxisingapore.com/externa...re-calculator/

Estimated Fare using meter at 23:14

Distance: 25.34 km. | Duration: 31 min.

first km S$2.80
10.0 km. x S$0.52 per km S$5.19
14.34 km. x S$0.61 per km S$8.69
waiting in traffic (~9 min.) S$2.59
Changi Airport & Changi Air Freight Centre S$5.00
Total S$24.28
on a Sunday or Public Holiday it would be S$24.28

dsgtc0408 Aug 18, 2010 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by snod08 (Post 14473742)
THe OP will be riding after 11PM...there will be a 50% midnight surcharge.

Just to clarify, the OP might NOT be riding after 11PM (actually midnight). Changi clearance procedures can be very fast - if a passenger is walking off the jetway at say 11:05 it's quite possible for him/her to be home or wherever they want to be by 12 midnight (they can be waiting on the taxi line anwhere between 15-25 minutes later). In any case the midnight surcharge kicks in at midnight itself. So any part of the ride that takes place before midnight will not get surcharged.

yihao69's calculation above sound about right.

uk1 Aug 21, 2010 7:03 am

If you budget allows then you might want to check out the JetQuay service which provides a unique Changi experience from plane door to hotel via private terminal and controls etc. Not cheap but worth every penny. Your hotel will probably organise it for you.

An overview is here

Jasper2009 Aug 23, 2010 5:57 am

Originally Posted by uk1 (Post 14520400)
If you budget allows then you might want to check out the JetQuay service which provides a unique Changi experience from plane door to hotel via private terminal and controls etc. Not cheap but worth every penny. Your hotel will probably organise it for you.

An overview is here

Funny, I was thinking about booking the Quayside service, but $250SGD is pretty steep imo for max. 15min of service.

I sent the hotel an e-mail inquiring whether they offer any package (i.e. limousine + Quayside service for a decent price), some hotels also offer this as a complimentary service, letīs see.

The Jetside service looks like great fun, but seriously, Iīd never spend $1500SGD/US$1000 for a 5min drive even if I had that kind of money.

May I ask which of the three services you used and why you think it was worth the money?

payam81 Aug 26, 2010 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by uk1 (Post 14520400)

An overview is here

Sounds like LH's F terminal @ FRA concept, except that one is only for use by F pax and HON.

Honestly if it were anywhere else, maybe I would have tried it just for the fun of it but Changi is so painless to go through that I just don't see the point, beyond the novelty factor that is.

uk1 Sep 1, 2010 4:32 am

Sorry not to respond earlier.

The IC organise my JetQuay service and the charge is $s150. This price was an increase over 2009 - I've used the service 4 times in 2010 at that figure.

The service I use is the meet on a buggy and the private terminal and the limo to the hotel.

Not certain what the 15 minutes is .... but they pick you up at the plane door, radio their friends your luggage details, take you to the private terminal where they wake up the private terminal immigration people. You wait for the luggage and have a drink or two .... the luggage is put into the back of the limo and off you go. In the IC case, the limo keeps in touch with the hotel and some management are waiting outside for you to take you straight to your suite where they check you in. In my case it means you don't see the luggage between your departure airport and the suite.

It is worth every penny (or $) ......

canflyer Oct 27, 2010 4:12 am

Just came in after 11pm. Processing through the airport was quick and the taxi line moved quickly. Taxi fare was 16.60 SGD and we were at our hotel downtown bfore midnight.
CF

Jasper2009 Oct 27, 2010 10:28 am

Originally Posted by canflyer (Post 15021838)
Just came in after 11pm. Processing through the airport was quick and the taxi line moved quickly. Taxi fare was 16.60 SGD and we were at our hotel downtown bfore midnight.
CF

Thankīs for the update!

Thereīs nothing like first hand experience. ^

g-day Nov 10, 2010 4:16 am

Friday the 5th Nov had taxi from Changi to Intercontinental Middle Road at 8.30pm. Cost S$17.10. Getting the taxi was easy and it moved. Returned to Changi on the 8th with a booked Taxi for 4.30am cost S$21.50. For the distance it was miles cheaper than Sydney Taxi's. I was most pleased.

Ray

Puiutz Nov 16, 2010 3:18 am

~S$30 to Fairmont after midnight - relatively no traffic at that time. It does take at least 15 min depending on how many red lights you see.