Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore for first time / for a few days, NOT just a stopover

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2014, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Lau Pau Sat is a MRT ride away from the IC. It is more suitable for new visitors to SG being more modern and tidy. Satay street at night give the traditional satay culture where the street are close or very little traffic and vendor just set up the charcoal grill on the street.

There is a local hawker centre walking distance from the IC on the other side of Bugis with a more traditional local feel and flavour that I frequent.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 2:23 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

If you just cross come out of the back entrance of the hotel and take the escalators on the left up a flight and cross the road on the covered shop bridge then a few minutes walk away - the walk is entirely under cover except one small road - is The Albert Centre .... I have never counted but there must be at least 60 food stalls there alone. Perhaps a 100. This is one of many hawker places to eat just outside Bugis Junction itself.

Some pictures

A longer walk is worthwhile to get to the Golden Mile food complex. I guess it is a 15 minute stroll away but this center has more a Thai influence. Some ideas of what to eat there. Some reviews

A few yards from the hotel is Maggies Thai where we have sent countless BA crew .... we have been going there for years and Maggie is a lovely lady. She want take tips and cut's your order down if you order too much.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by uk1
If you just cross come out of the back entrance of the hotel and take the escalators on the left up a flight and cross the road on the covered shop bridge then a few minutes walk away - the walk is entirely under cover except one small road - is The Albert Centre .... I have never counted but there must be at least 60 food stalls there alone. Perhaps a 100. This is one of many hawker places to eat just outside Bugis Junction itself.

Some pictures

That's the place I was talking about.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

uk1: BTW where do you enjoy your cigars while in SG and staying at IC?
Old Dec 30, 2014, 9:19 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller
That's the place I was talking about.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

uk1: BTW where do you enjoy your cigars while in SG and staying at IC?
It sounded like the Albert Centre. They have some great food there. I can never decide what to eat, so now I have a new much more exciting method. I park the wife at a table and I just join any place with a long queue without bothering to look to see what they are selling. When I get to the front of the queue I simply either point at anything that looks good or have what the person in front of me is leaving with. I've never been disappointed, and often when wifey says "what have you bought" i simply say "food" because I often have no idea. I know that queues don't lie in Singapore. My tried and tested way of eating a wide variety of the finest food Singapore has to offer.

I have bought cigars with me year after year and can't find anywhere I want to linger and smoke. My regular suite has a garden. I thought I might be able to smoke there. I asked. No. So Im not bothering any more.

Old Dec 30, 2014, 3:38 pm
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uk1
A few yards from the hotel is Maggies Thai where we have sent countless BA crew .... we have been going there for years and Maggie is a lovely lady. She want take tips and cut's your order down if you order too much.

Stumbled on some of my piccies of the lovely Maggie and some of her food.

Do visit and say "hello"!

Old Jan 14, 2015, 2:46 pm
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

The Straits Times/Lianhe Zaobao Singapore Hawker Masters 2014

Category A – Lor Mee
Yuan Chun Famous Lor Mee
Amoy Street Food Centre #02-80
Opening Hours: 7.30am – 2.30pm (Closed Mon & Tue)
*Amoy Street Food Centre closed for renovation till 28 Feb 2015

Category B – Beef Noodle
Zheng Yi Hainanese Beef Noodle
47 Tai Thong Crescent, Kin Seng Coffeeshop
Opening Hours: Mon – Fri: 10am – 7pm
Sat: 10am – 6pm (Closed Sun and PH)

Category C – Mee Goreng
Hass Bawa Mee Stall
Blk 84 Marine Parade Central Market and Food Centre, #01-150
Opening Hours: 12nn – 9.30pm (Closed Wed)

Category D – Popiah
My Cosy Corner
Coronation Shopping Plaza #02-02
Opening Hours: Mon – Sun: 10am -7.30pm (No popiah on Sun)

Category E – Fish Soup
Piao Ji Fish Porridge
Amoy Street Food Centre, #02-100
Opening Hours: 10.45am – 3.45pm (Closed Thu)
*Amoy Street Food Centre closed for renovation till 28 Feb 2015

Category F – Mee Soto
Riyan Hidayat Satay Solo No. 31
Serangoon Garden Market and Food Centre #01-31
Opening Hours: 11am - 9pm (Closed Mon)

- See more at: http://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyl....WJYJUFQI.dpuf
Old Jan 14, 2015, 2:52 pm

Those stalls for sure will have extremely long queues now
Old Jan 14, 2015, 3:26 pm
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Those stalls for sure will have extremely long queues now
Excellence brings it's rewards!
Old Nov 13, 2015, 1:31 am

Okay after much reading and being a bit time poor at the moment i have to ask the questions i need without reading the ridiculous amount of pages on this thread
Will be transiting through SIN with a 1 to 2 day layover early next year with the wife, we love hawker food and cheap market style shopping. What area is best for us to be looking to stay in, close to the food the markets and MRT.
Appreciate any help to point me in the right direction to start trying to find the hotels which best suit our semi shallow pockets.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 2:58 am

I'd say Bugis area is what you should be looking for. Considering Singapore's size, you'll get anywhere from there really fast, and it has pretty much everything around it in walking distance. Also, hotels with decent quality (but small rooms, perfect for a short stay) in 4* category are abundant in that area and not too expensive if compared and picked the cheapest fine option (around 100US$)
Old Nov 13, 2015, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
I'd say Bugis area is what you should be looking for. Considering Singapore's size, you'll get anywhere from there really fast, and it has pretty much everything around it in walking distance. Also, hotels with decent quality (but small rooms, perfect for a short stay) in 4* category are abundant in that area and not too expensive if compared and picked the cheapest fine option (around 100US$)
Thanks YuropFlyer, appreciate the assistance ^
Old Nov 15, 2015, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by Firemansam
Okay after much reading and being a bit time poor at the moment i have to ask the questions i need without reading the ridiculous amount of pages on this thread
Will be transiting through SIN with a 1 to 2 day layover early next year with the wife, we love hawker food and cheap market style shopping. What area is best for us to be looking to stay in, close to the food the markets and MRT.
Appreciate any help to point me in the right direction to start trying to find the hotels which best suit our semi shallow pockets.
As long as you avoid the far north west, you should be ok --- you might find a cheap hotel near Little India, where there are a couple of MRT stations - Little India (obviously!) and Farrer Park.
Once you get on that line it'll take less than 10 minutes to get into a central location.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.