Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Entry with passport expiring in 5 months

Old Nov 25, 2009, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: ua 1k

I have to go on a last minute trip, and it just occurred to me I have less than 6 months on my passport (will be 5 when I leave). Because of the holiday, the passport office can't see me until Monday - and I'm leaving Tuesday. I'm inclined to try and talk me way through when I get there, but United said they won't even let me board.

So, do I have any options? Does the embassy give any sort of exemption visa? Any other suggestions?
Old Nov 25, 2009, 7:18 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
If there's anywhere in the world that sticks to its rules it's Singapore. Which is why United won't let you board since when you are bounced by Singapore Immigration they would be obliged to take you back where you came.

You have no option but to get a new passport as fast as you can and then fly.

The only possible exception would be if there was a family emergency, in which case the Singapore Embassy might give you some sort of exemption - but if this is just a business trip then no chance.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: ua 1k
Bummer, but thanks for the quick reply. Who would have guessed that April 2010 was coming up so soon?
Old Nov 25, 2009, 9:51 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Take your itinerary and letters showing your meetings or whatever to the passport office and see if they can get you something the same day. They may be able to issue a temporary 1-year passport on the spot.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by christep
If there's anywhere in the world that sticks to its rules it's Singapore. Which is why United won't let you board since when you are bounced by Singapore Immigration they would be obliged to take you back where you came.
Actually, I'd wager a fair amount that Singapore immigration wouldn't bat an eyelid at the 6 months, entry permits are issued for 3 months max anyway. But the airline will enforce it, so this isn't much of a consolation.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM)
Originally Posted by jpatokal
Actually, I'd wager a fair amount that Singapore immigration wouldn't bat an eyelid at the 6 months, entry permits are issued for 3 months max anyway. But the airline will enforce it, so this isn't much of a consolation.
5 years ago I had my first mileage vacation ... a great Thanksgiving weekend fare from NYC-NRT-SIN.

The airline missed my 9.5 year old passort but when my wife and I were going thru Singapore immigration they caught it right away. It was 2 days into the 6 months to expiry. The agent said my passport was invalid and of course I must have had a vacant/surprised look. I didn't have to go to secondary but the officer did explain at length that I could be sent back and then asked for my travel details. Luckily I was still very conservative about my travel arrangements so I had hard copy printouts of my hotel bookings (in SIN and my next city immediately after) and my itinerary.

Last edited by SLC-YYZ; Dec 31, 2009 at 3:52 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 31, 2009, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
I'd wager that if the checkin agent lets you board the plane you'll be fine. I doubt SIN immigration will bother.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 4:44 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
A group of friends had flight itinerary HKG-SIN-MNL, with 5 days to spend in SIN at prepaid hotel. 2 of them were denied boarding in HKG because they were travelling on same PNR and the man had only 5.5 months before expiry date. This happened 2 weeks ago, on Jan 3rd 2010.

Maybe 2 days will be waived if proof of hotel booking and stars aligning right, but for sure they do not bend the rule for 2 weeks.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 3:45 am

Programs: UA 1K (2MM)
Originally Posted by ca26o
I have to go on a last minute trip, and it just occurred to me I have less than 6 months on my passport (will be 5 when I leave). Because of the holiday, the passport office can't see me until Monday - and I'm leaving Tuesday. I'm inclined to try and talk me way through when I get there, but United said they won't even let me board.

So, do I have any options? Does the embassy give any sort of exemption visa? Any other suggestions?
How'd it go?
Old Feb 17, 2010, 6:50 am

Programs: BA GfL
I've posted this information before: The US has bilateral agreements with several countries extending the life of passports six months after they expire. In other words, US passports are valid until the expiry date on the passport (and vice versa).

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new.../sixmonth.html
Old Feb 17, 2010, 7:08 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by Peregrine415
I've posted this information before: The US has bilateral agreements with several countries extending the life of passports six months after they expire. In other words, US passports are valid until the expiry date on the passport (and vice versa).

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new.../sixmonth.html
But although Malaysia is listed there, the airline wouldn't let me on the plane with only 4.5 months left. So is there a value to the agreement?
Old Feb 17, 2010, 8:42 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
The link given refers to holders of those passports coming to the USA. It isn't clear from that link that the agreement is reciprocal (although it may well be).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.