Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Upgrade Singapore Air Flight with United Miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2009, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United

I am a 1K United Premier member. I have never experienced Singapore air... but have seen and heard wonderful reviews. I would like to book the all business flight on Singapore Air from EWR to SIN. I would appreciate any tips on whether/how I could book a lower-priced fare on Singapore Air and use United miles to upgrade for the business class flight? I can't really figure it out from the website, and I cannot get any definitive answer from either customer service ... but I thought it might be possible, since both are Star Alliance?? Thank you.

Last edited by lwhitmandc; Sep 21, 2009 at 2:03 pm Reason: wanted to add more info
Old Sep 21, 2009, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
Hello and welcome to FT.
You first problem is that there is no economy fare for SIN-EWR-EWR
so you can't upgrade to business from a coach fare, your second problem is that flight is also not available for award redemption unless you are using SQ KF miles.

On a side note , I think UA now participates in the Star Alliance Upgrade program, so you could book JFK-FRA-SIN and try to upgrade but im not sure what fare class you need to purchase.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by rolov
On a side note , I think UA now participates in the Star Alliance Upgrade program, so you could book JFK-FRA-SIN and try to upgrade but im not sure what fare class you need to purchase.
Unfortunately, SQ is missing from the list of Star airlines that UA MP members can use miles to upgrade on - as far as I can gather, this is a deliberate omission.

Using any other participating airline's miles, you can upgrade eligible booking classes on SQ.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 12:37 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Welcome to Flyer Talk lwhitmandc

The best you can do is book an upgradeable (read expensive) fare on the JFK-(FRA)-SIN flight and upgrade using miles of a participating FFP (UA Mileage Plus is not one as far as SQ is concerned). You will need availability on your flight in order for the upgrade to clear (as well as sufficient miles in your other FFP account).

JFK to SIN is, for now, on 747 thus the older product (still much better than flying economy).
Old Dec 8, 2009, 1:49 pm

Programs: OnePass, Royal Orchid Plus, Mabuhay Miles
I'm new to *A as a CO Onepass member and, of course, new to trying to get an SQ upgrade. I am CO Platinum/*G and am considering booking economy (B fare) IAH-SGN on SQ61/62 for a Jan departure.

Right now business is wide open on most dates. I've read that SQ is very stingy with upgrades so my question: will they clear all waitlisted upgrades if seats are available?
Old Dec 8, 2009, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA Plat, TK Gold, *G
Where does it say that you cannot upgrade with United miles?

The United website lists SQ as an upgrade partner:
http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,52927,00.html
Old Dec 8, 2009, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by bsb21

Take a look at the chart here. You will see that Mileage Plus miles cannot upgrade SQ flights on star alliance upgrade awards.

As for the waitlist, I've heard SQ might fly with empty J seats even though there are people on the waitlist, not sure how true it is. Also SQ upgrade award books into its business saver award inventory (if using Krisflyer miles), not so sure about star alliance upgrade award, maybe it books into star alliance business award inventory (so you might want to look for those dates with availability).
Old Dec 9, 2009, 1:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExecPlat
Originally Posted by fone
Take a look at the chart here. You will see that Mileage Plus miles cannot upgrade SQ flights on star alliance upgrade awards.

As for the waitlist, I've heard SQ might fly with empty J seats even though there are people on the waitlist, not sure how true it is. Also SQ upgrade award books into its business saver award inventory (if using Krisflyer miles), not so sure about star alliance upgrade award, maybe it books into star alliance business award inventory (so you might want to look for those dates with availability).
This is not true. I upgraded a FRA-JFK SQ flight a few days ago to business class using my UA miles. I'm still waiting for availability on the outbound to upgrade that flight.

I believe the link on the *A website that you linked to is out of date. If you look at the UA page about the *A upgrades here, you will see that SQ is on the list of participating airlines.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bsb21

This is new.^ Looks like UA allows SQ upgrades now.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by terminalc
I'm new to *A as a CO Onepass member and, of course, new to trying to get an SQ upgrade. I am CO Platinum/*G and am considering booking economy (B fare) IAH-SGN on SQ61/62 for a Jan departure.

Right now business is wide open on most dates. I've read that SQ is very stingy with upgrades so my question: will they clear all waitlisted upgrades if seats are available?
There are two issues:
1) You cannot waitlist for partner upgrades.
2) SQ doesn't release O/I inventory for 77W and A380 flights. You need I inventory to upgrade using partner miles. You can use D inventory if using SQ miles albeit at higher mileage level.

To answer your question, yes SQ does clear upgrade waitlists, often within days or hours of flight. But you can only waitlist in D class using SQ miles.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 4:36 pm

Programs: United 1K
My wife and I are currently booked in D for SQ406 from SIN to DEL. Can that be upgraded using UA miles?
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by silent129
My wife and I are currently booked in D for SQ406 from SIN to DEL. Can that be upgraded using UA miles?
SQ406 is a regional 772 flight. It is upgradeable using UA miles, subject to O class availability. Call UA to check. @:-)

It may be tough to get 2 O class seats. Are you willing to upgrade just one passenger? More O class seats maybe released within the last few days of departure, if you can wait.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:03 am

Hmm, didnt noticed this post after I posted. If I read the award chart correctly, it takes just 25k UA miles to upgrade a LAX - SIN, while it takes 45k SQ miles for the same flight, though both uses different inventory (*A vs Krisflyer members). I'm not even sure SQ will release O class to *A last minute, they should release to Krisflyer members first I guess.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 11:30 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
UA miles cannot be used to upgrade SQ flights, so you're comparing an upgrade on UA flights with an upgrade on SQ flights.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, SPG Gold,NW GE
TerryK is correct. Last week, I upgraded from B class to C on regional SQ (SIN-CMB) with 25k UA miles.
Sadly, no possibility of using UA miles on 77W from SFO-SIN.
Upgrade space is available to Krisflyers: for an unbelievably high amount of miles!! as discussed above.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.