FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   Why bother with the PPS Amex Card? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/967406-why-bother-pps-amex-card.html)

lokijuh Jun 22, 2009 10:30 am

Why bother with the PPS Amex Card?

Rant warning:
I moved to Singapore a few months ago, and was aware of the PPS Amex, so signed up for it straight aways. Seemed OK deal at the time, with a couple of sweeteners being a (lesser of) 35,000 pts/50% off economy award flights voucher and a 5,000 pt first transaction sign on bonus.

Just a few days later I found (or rather it found me) the Citibank Premier Miles Card at 1.2 miles/SGD, so haven't really bothered with the Amex. Why would I, other than for online SQ flights?

And then there is the useless voucher. My voucher happens to expire on Sep 30 and therefore completey coincided with the promo period (25% off all flights) this means it is either a 33% off voucher or 0% off depending on the flights chosen. And after waitlisting for several flights which were unsuccessful (ok I could have got the discount off standard rather than saver awards - but there were also J savers available so I'd rather do that than spend on a standard award), I finally got some return flights back to Australia. But then the taxes came in at ridiculous $359 SGD -a whole $47 less than the return Emirates (paid fully with cash) flight I bought a few weeks ago. So what is the point. It would be much better if you could redeem it for business class fares as well. But you can't. So I ask why bother?

ronaldko Jun 25, 2009 10:59 am

now no one have interest on Amex Krisflyer card in Singapore anymore.

IndiaFlyer Jul 1, 2009 4:50 pm

Agree, the DBS Amex Altitude card is great as well .80 cents equals a mile.

bmchris Jul 1, 2009 5:07 pm

I've had a much better overall customer service experience with Amex than Citibank. Although YMMV on this.

SMK77 Jul 1, 2009 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by bmchris (Post 11999863)
I've had a much better overall customer service experience with Amex than Citibank. Although YMMV on this.

AMEX Singapore is the worst of all AMEX branches I have dealt with - and I have no high opinion of AMEX in general...

bmchris Jul 1, 2009 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by SMK77 (Post 12000031)
AMEX Singapore is the worst of all AMEX branches I have dealt with - and I have no high opinion of AMEX in general...

Qualification - I'm based in the USA.

cmdsea Jul 2, 2009 2:23 am

Ditto. Singapore based and use mine purely as a back up card for my Citi Premier Miles.

Usually spend enough to get the annual mileage bonus and the double points for online purchase at the SQ website is useful. Also the 10% off Dollar car rental has come in handy (also some rental agencies accept AMEX in lieu of otherwise compulsory car CDW insurance Thrifty in the UK from memory.?)

In summary, dont mind carrying it in my wallet but end of the year if they want to charge me for it, its history..!

SQveteran Jul 4, 2009 11:42 am

Originally Posted by cmdsea (Post 12001873)
In summary, dont mind carrying it in my wallet but end of the year if they want to charge me for it, its history..!

You will find that there is no waiver on the annual fee.

aerosmith Jul 11, 2009 10:49 am

Originally Posted by SQveteran (Post 12012739)
You will find that there is no waiver on the annual fee.

AMEX do give annual fee waiver for this card, depending on your total spend during your past 12 months.

SQveteran Jul 12, 2009 1:36 am

Originally Posted by aerosmith (Post 12049580)
AMEX do give annual fee waiver for this card, depending on your total spend during your past 12 months.

Have you really had a waiver on annual fees for the PPS Club Platinium Card? If you have then they must of changed policy.

ronaldko Jul 12, 2009 3:30 am

Originally Posted by aerosmith (Post 12049580)

I suggest Amex KF card grand more member annual fee waiver without condition asap, im afraid they will lose more market share in Singapore.

aerosmith Jul 12, 2009 6:29 am

Originally Posted by SQveteran (Post 12052241)
Have you really had a waiver on annual fees for the PPS Club Platinium Card? If you have then they must of changed policy.

I have been a card member (PPS Club credit card) since its inception, and have gotten annual fee waiver every year, except for the 1st year which they did not budge despite having spent a considerable amount on this card. It is not an auto fee waiver, I have to call them up and raise this fee waiver request.

SuperJonJon Jul 12, 2009 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by aerosmith (Post 12052655)
I have been a card member (PPS Club credit card) since its inception, and have gotten annual fee waiver every year, except for the 1st year which they did not budge despite having spent a considerable amount on this card. It is not an auto fee waiver, I have to call them up and raise this fee waiver request.

Its the same for me for the first year. But subsequent years, the annual fee never shows up on the statements. :D