FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   Transfer mileage to nominee account (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/921153-transfer-mileage-nominee-account.html)

MA_NSW Feb 12, 2009 6:43 pm

Transfer mileage to nominee account

Hi,

I am new to the KrisFlyer program. We just completed our first trip with SA. I have setup myself as nominee to my chilld KrisFlyer account.

Can I transfer my child mileage to my account?
Or is there any way to utilize my chlild mileage?

Regards,
MA

gezza48 Feb 12, 2009 7:53 pm

I live in Adelaide Australia and need to fly to the UK fairly often cos number 1 son has decided he likes the UK more than Oz.

So... I thought that SQ, being as they fly directly between Adelaide and London would be a good/safe airline to fly with. Did one long haul wiv em and probably wont bova again cos their FF programme/phone service is just too hard to deal wiv!!!

I have a redundant 200000 kris flyer points and was told by the phone b***tch at Krisflyers that even tho my son, who is also a KF member is my nominated person, that I cannot deem my points to him!!!!what the fre..kng point is there to this system, can someone who knows please explain the Kris flyer system.

I am currently strongly encouraging all my friends and family to stay/stick/go to Qantas FF as transfer of points is easy peazy and seamless, also I can actually understand what the QF staff on the phone are saying and they seem to have endless time for me.
x Gezza48

Nick C Feb 12, 2009 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by MA_NSW (Post 11248860)
Hi,

I am new to the KrisFlyer program. We just completed our first trip with SA. I have setup myself as nominee to my chilld KrisFlyer account.

Can I transfer my child mileage to my account?
Or is there any way to utilize my chlild mileage?

Regards,
MA

No transferring of miles between accounts. Miles are are valid for 3 years and can be extended for a small fee.

Originally Posted by gezza48 (Post 11249130)
I live in Adelaide Australia and need to fly to the UK fairly often cos number 1 son has decided he likes the UK more than Oz.

So... I thought that SQ, being as they fly directly between Adelaide and London would be a good/safe airline to fly with. Did one long haul wiv em and probably wont bova again cos their FF programme/phone service is just too hard to deal wiv!!!

I have a redundant 200000 kris flyer points and was told by the phone b***tch at Krisflyers that even tho my son, who is also a KF member is my nominated person, that I cannot deem my points to him!!!!what the fre..kng point is there to this system, can someone who knows please explain the Kris flyer system.

I am currently strongly encouraging all my friends and family to stay/stick/go to Qantas FF as transfer of points is easy peazy and seamless, also I can actually understand what the QF staff on the phone are saying and they seem to have endless time for me.
x Gezza48

SQ is not QF and QF is not SQ.

You can redeem awards for your nominee using your own points but you can't transfer points to the nominee. It has been like that since day one.

kpc Feb 12, 2009 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by gezza48 (Post 11249130)

Maybe before you get so hot under the collar, you should read the T and Cs of Krisfyer more closely. Whilst you cannot transfer your Krisflyer points to your son's account (unlike QF), you can book an award for him or any one of the 5 nominees on your account. You can do this online to get a 15% discount (although SQ have a current promotion where you can get 25% off awards) which is quite handy. If you have 200000 Krisflyer points, you can easily get at least 2 return trips to London in Y [economy saver] (95000 Krisflyer points per return trip in Y before any discount - how many points does QF charge for this route??:rolleyes:). Note once you have nominated your 5 nominees, there is a small fee to change the nominees, and IIRC, you can only do it once every 6 months. Before I forget, Krisflyer points DO expire after 3 years so don't keep them in you account for too long!;).

No, I'm not an SQ apologist, but just wanted to point the facts out...

Aussie_flyer Feb 12, 2009 9:33 pm

be aware members under 12 years old may not make redemption bookings online unless a redemption nominee is travelling with them on the SAME flight.

it must be made directly with KF membership services otherwise and there is no discount.

Aussie_flyer Feb 13, 2009 12:00 am

Its all quite clear on the website what a nominee is, a nominee is someone you can redeem a ticket FOR. you may use your miles to give that person a 'free' ticket. Your 20,000 miles is more than enough for a return trip booked online from Singapore to Bali or even a business class ticket one way from Bangkok to Denpasar via SIN for example. So perhaps you know someone who might benefit from a trip like that you could gift your points too by nominating them as a redemption nominee on your account,.

gezza48 Feb 13, 2009 2:44 am

Thanks guys for all your reply's & advice!!
However I still feel that Krisflyer scheme is restictive and has VERY VERY poor customer service on the ground (as discussed elswhere on this site)

During my one and only SQ flight, Adelaide to London and back, I had no movies and was offered a $100 duty free gift voucher as compensation. 'puck off...sq'

Def intend sticking with Qantas from now on.

I have now lost the 20,000 points as I'm over the 3 year statute of limitations and never ever heard from SQ as to what I could do/where I could fly wiv em anyway (i.e. via their web site)

so boohoo for me!
there go my points, there also goes my custom with SQ...over and out...

"back to QF for me from now on, for ever and ever", ciao for now, GT in Oz:-:

gezza48 Feb 13, 2009 2:50 am

However I still feel that Krisflyer scheme is restictive and has VERY VERY poor customer service on the ground (as discussed elswhere on this site)

During my one and only SQ flight, Adelaide to London and back, I had no movies and was offered a $100 duty free gift voucher as compensation. 'puck off...sq'

I have now lost the 20,000 points as I'm over the 3 year statute of limitations and never ever heard from SQ as to what I could do/where I could fly wiv em anyway (i.e. via their web site)

so boohoo for me!

SAllen Feb 14, 2009 1:03 am

Originally Posted by gezza48 (Post 11250764)

so boohoo for me!

As others have said, you should have read the T&C. Also, if your point of transferring the miles is to allow your son to buy tickets to and from the UK, what diff does that make if you are able to only redeem free flights FOR him?

Dendrite Feb 14, 2009 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by gezza48 (Post 11250758)
However I still feel that Krisflyer scheme is restictive and has VERY VERY poor customer service on the ground (as discussed elswhere on this site):

Yes, I agree with you that KF scheme is very restrictive to the extent that the benefits are of no use. This is the reason I log my miles to ROP even though I travel on SQ the most as I live in SIN :p.

Switching from one airline to another is like playing poker with siamese twins, IMO.

I think SQ still has a lot to improve in many customer service areas, but giving my money to QF is still something I will avoid whenever I can.

stargold Feb 14, 2009 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by gezza48 (Post 11250764)

so boohoo for me!

I know money is still money, but you don't strike me as a customer that SQ would miss in a hurry...I just don't think you and SQ are meant to be.

MA_NSW Feb 14, 2009 6:28 pm

Thanks guys for your response. Let me clear my situation so that you can provide best advice.

After completing our latest trip we all have the following points:

- My self: 11400
- My wife: 11400
- Our two kids: 11400 (each)

Our kids less likely to fly in next 3 years. However, me & my wife we fly to NZ end of this year.

Based on all of your response above, looks like the milage not transferable. Is there any way to utilize our kids point as we both are nominee to their account?

Thanks for your advice.

Regards,
MA

SAllen Feb 14, 2009 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by MA_NSW (Post 11259355)
Thanks guys for your response. Let me clear my situation so that you can provide best advice.

After completing our latest trip we all have the following points:

- My self: 11400
- My wife: 11400
- Our two kids: 11400 (each)

Our kids less likely to fly in next 3 years. However, me & my wife we fly to NZ end of this year.

Based on all of your response above, looks like the milage not transferable. Is there any way to utilize our kids point as we both are nominee to their account?

Thanks for your advice.

Regards,
MA

The reason why SQ does not allow transfers of miles is because they do not want customers to pool their miles together, so that higher-level awards (e.g. business class tickets or long-haul redemptions) can be attained. In your case, you can use the miles in those four accounts on four separate tickets. 11,400 is enough for a roundtrip to points in Malaysia and Indonesia between July and September this year. If you are absolutely sure your kids won't be accruing more miles in the three years since mileage accrual, you shld spend the 11,400 (through nominee redemption) while you have a chance to, with the ongoing KF discounts. Or you could top up US$80 (for 2000 miles) on each account to redeem flights to Thailand, Cebu and Yangon at 12,500 miles apiece (my sense is this is not really worth it...)

Aussie_flyer Feb 14, 2009 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by SAllen (Post 11259444)
The reason why SQ does not allow transfers of miles is because they do not want customers to pool their miles together, so that higher-level awards (e.g. business class tickets or long-haul redemptions) can be attained. In your case, you can use the miles in those four accounts on four separate tickets. 11,400 is enough for a roundtrip to points in Malaysia and Indonesia between July and September this year. If you are absolutely sure your kids won't be accruing more miles in the three years since mileage accrual, you shld spend the 11,400 (through nominee redemption) while you have a chance to, with the ongoing KF discounts. Or you could top up US$80 (for 2000 miles) on each account to redeem flights to Thailand, Cebu and Yangon at 12,500 miles apiece (my sense is this is not really worth it...)

be aware UNDER 12's CAN NOT book online. Must be done through membership services, UNLESS a nominee is flying together with them on the same flight. that won't be possible as their is too few miles in the account.

SAllen Feb 14, 2009 7:07 pm

Just to add, these are your available destinations

Indonesia
Balikpapan
MI282 / MI284
MI281 / MI283

Medan
MI232 / MI238
MI233 / MI237

Palembang
MI162 / MI168
MI161 / MI167