Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Simplified excess baggage charge (23kg per bag for all classes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2008, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold

Apologies if this isn't new news:

From 1 April 2008, excess baggage charges will be levied across a zonal system, based on the originating region and the disembarking region:
http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2...5.html?vgnmr=1
http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_U...gage_zonal.jsp
Old Mar 7, 2008, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
for the US , the 2 piece rule is still in effect but has been reduced to
23 kg.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 9:29 pm

Programs: SQ *G, QF S, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Advantage Platinum
Thumbs down Decrease in baggage allowance for First and Business

But what isn't clear - is that First Class and Business Class passengers no longer have the 32KG exception.

All bags must now be max 23kgs.

So going to the US - you use to be able to have two bags weighing 32KG each.

Now you can only have two bags weighing 23KG each if travelling in first or business.

If you are a *G or PPS you can have more bags, but each weighing no more than 23KG, so you now have to travel with more bags.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 6:47 am

Thumbs down Max Bag allowed only 23KGs for ALL Classes - including First and Business

I know this has its own thread, but I wanted to make sure this stands out.

Singapore Airlines now only allows a bag to weigh a maximum of 23KGs. For First or Business included. This is to all countries, not just North America.

As clarified when I wrote to them.

From 1st April, all passengers travelling to North America will be entitled to carry two pieces of checked luggage with each piece not able to exceed 23kg.

Please note that this limit applies to passengers travelling in all classes on flights to North America.

Kind Regards
Erin
SIA Australia
They cannot call it a health and safety issue, as they will allow you to have bags up to 32KG, but you have to pay for it.

And get this - if you travel to North America, maximum bag weight can only be 23KGs but you aren't charged excess unless you go more than 2 bags. So what happens if you want to take one bag with 30 Kilos - how much do you pay?

Okay as PPS you can have double the number of bags, but who cares if it can only handle 23KG per bag.

I AM NOT TRAVELLING ECONOMY - I AM TRAVELLING BUSINESS. I don't want to take multiple bags. I just want to take a single bag, which normally has 26 or 27 KGs, when I am travelling for multiple days or stops.

So this is the brave new world of Singapore Airlines. Pay Thousands of Dollars for a seat, and Hundreds more for bags over 23KGs.

Take a 30KG bag in Business on any airline in * Alliance, and it is okay.
Take it on Singapore Airlines and pay up to S$490 extra - but only if SQ is the first segment. Fly Lufthansa then SQ - okay. Fly SQ then Lufthansa - Not OK.

So who do I write to tell them that this is a really really stupid idea.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Mar 11, 2008 at 2:59 pm Reason: merged into existing thread
Old Mar 11, 2008, 7:17 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
I don't think it's an SQ thing - a quick check of American Airlines shows the same allowance:

http://www.americanairlines.be/conte...llowance.jhtml

International Baggage Allowance 2 bags - checked
Maximum Linear Dimensions 62in/157cm each
Maximum Weight 50lbs/23kgs each*

Important note:

* Weight policy for bagage checked to / from or through Europe and Asia:

* Only bags up to 50 lbs/23 kgs or less will be accepted completely free of charge as part of the two checked bags allowance.
* Bags over 50 lbs/23 kgs but less than 70 lbs/32 kgs can also be checked-in as part of the two bags allowance but will be subject to a $50 USD overweight baggage fee per bag.
* Bags over 70 lbs/32 kgs cannot be accepted.

If you have any baggage weighing over this limit, please repack them or redistribute the weight into other baggage.

ETA: Okay, I checked LH too and they have different allowance for F/J ....I don't like it, but I'll have to see what the industry is doing as a whole.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 7:39 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
It sure makes flying with SQ a more costly experience (not that it isn't very costly now to fly with them if you want your mile accrued).

Their baggage weight issue has always been a problem because they are very strict on this policy in the past. I can already foresee this being a disaster for passengers travelling on the first week of April to experience a horrendous service between North America to/from Singapore or other destinations because not everyone reads the news online.

In all honesty, I don't undertand why they want to lower the weight to 23kg per luggage for long-haul destinations. I am one of the passengers that got very annoy with the weight restrictions and the long lines of complaints at LAX regarding luggages being overweight, so I have changed my airline preference already despite the fact I love SQ's on board service. I really wonder... are they only interested in business passengers that travels daily and have very little belongings?

Most people who travel for leisure, vacation, or for a period of time simply have more things they need to carry on the luggage (this happens exceptionally on Asian passengers, and a bit better for American passengers). Most luggages by itself already weighs a bunch, and this will just create chaos at the airport for all passengers who are checking in for Singapore Airlines.

Disappointed at SQ following AA's path on the baggage allowance issue.

Last edited by coolfish1103; Mar 11, 2008 at 7:49 am Reason: typos
Old Mar 11, 2008, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
Your email just says "on all flights to North America"... how does this affect all countries?
Old Mar 11, 2008, 2:59 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Lots of airlines have the same (or stricter) rule. Off the top of my head NZ, BA, AA, QF, US, UA.

23kg is the standard max weight by IATA (IIRC) and eventually all airlines will have this rule.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by tfung
Your email just says "on all flights to North America"... how does this affect all countries?
I used that as an example - but the press release details has it affecting all countries.

The stupid thing about North America, is that it doesn't say what the extra cost will be if you go over 23KG per bag, but stay with two bags.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Lots of airlines have the same (or stricter) rule. Off the top of my head NZ, BA, AA, QF, US, UA.

23kg is the standard max weight by IATA (IIRC) and eventually all airlines will have this rule.
Maybe for economy - but not for Business or First.

NZ
Business 2 pieces, each up to 32kg (70 lbs)
http://www.airnewzealand.com.au/trav...in_baggage.htm

UA
First or Business Class 2 bags, maximum 70 pounds/32kg each
http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,52482,00.html

QF
Travel to/from USA,
US Territories, Tahiti, South America and Canada^
via the Pacific First: 2 pieces
Total dimensions* of each piece must not exceed 158cm (62in)
Business/Economy/Premium Economy: 2 pieces
Total dimensions* of the 2 pieces must not exceed 270cm (106in) with no 1 piece exceeding 158cm (62in) 32kg (70lb) per piece
http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying...baggageChecked

US
51-70 pounds/23-32 kg - Free for Customers traveling in First and Envoy
http://www.usairways.com/awa/content...epolicies.aspx

BA still accept bags up to 32KGs until November 2008 - they have at least given monthS of notice - not 1 month.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 7:21 pm

Gotta Requalify

I thought I could quickly answer your concerns but obviously I bumped into the same problem as you.

There is still flexibility in the system as before, however, on the black and white from LAX it is.. (wait for it)

Per extra piece of luggage: US$109 (to South East Asia)
When carrying two pieces but the luggage is declared overweight above the "flexible tolerance": US$327 (to South East Asia)

I fully sympathise with your predicament. The new Zonal excess baggage system was meant to enhance transparency to Singapore Airlines' passengers. Evidently there is still room for improvement.

Nevertheless - I wish you a pleasant flight.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 8:49 pm

For Economy Class passengers, the allowance is generally 20KGs or two pieces of 23KGs each. This will allow greater transparency for them. As if you go over your allowance, it will cost and you know how much.

For Business or First, the allowance is 30KG (or 40KG) or up until now two pieces of 32KG each.

So now - if you are travelling to a non-piece location. The allowance is still 30KG, but now you have to take it in two bags, 23kg and 7kg. How much of the second 7KG is going to taken up in empty bag weight.

Travelling with a 25KG bag in business is within your allowance but after spending thousands for a business or first class ticket, you now get wacked with extra cost.

Imagine - going from somewhere in Europe to Singapore. Lets say Budapest.
BUD - FRA - SIN - in Business Class with a 25kg bag - no cost.
Returning SIN - FRA - BUD in Business Class with a 25KG bag (within your allowance) - cost S$140

It is one thing to charge if you go over your allowance. It is completely different to be within your allowance but charged extra.

Note to self - setup bag shop selling cheap small bags next to SQ check-in counter.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 5:49 am

Programs: LH SEN for Life
I really don't understand the 23K rant.

According to the SQ web page both F and C are entitled to more (32K) and *A Gold to an extra 20K.

What is going on??

Shofar
Old Mar 12, 2008, 7:27 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by Singapore_Air
Gotta Requalify

I thought I could quickly answer your concerns but obviously I bumped into the same problem as you.

There is still flexibility in the system as before, however, on the black and white from LAX it is.. (wait for it)

When carrying two pieces but the luggage is declared overweight above the "flexible tolerance": US$327 (to South East Asia)

I fully sympathise with your predicament. The new Zonal excess baggage system was meant to enhance transparency to Singapore Airlines' passengers. Evidently there is still room for improvement.

Nevertheless - I wish you a pleasant flight.
I didn't find anything pertaining to USA/Canada regarding overweight issues. They simply re-directed you to the baggage allowance page, but did not tell you how much it will cost for the extra piece of baggage. According to how they word on the site, it will be charged on a per piece issue.

Singapore Airlines in LAX is a disaster when it comes to baggage weight issues. Nothing more can be said. Even if they were to do this, they should give enough time for the customers to sort out, not one month (Although it does not pertain to me, as I don't fly with them anymore these days...).

Originally Posted by Shofar
I really don't understand the 23K rant.

According to the SQ web page both F and C are entitled to more (32K) and *A Gold to an extra 20K.

What is going on??

Shofar
You need to read very carefully.

This is the link directed for specifically travelling to USA/Canada: http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_U..._allowance.jsp

At the bottom of the second chart, it says...

From 01 April 2008, for itineraries involving USA and Canada, the allowed weight for each bag will be reduced from 32kg (70lb) to 23kg (50lb). Customers will still continue to enjoy a two-piece free allowance. Excess baggage will be continued to be levied on a per-piece basis.

With this in state, the previous rules still apply, which is this...

Passengers are required to re-pack their baggage if the baggage weight exceeds the above-stipulated limitation per piece. Heavy machinery or spare parts that exceeds the indicated weight above would not be uplifted as baggage to these countries.

Therefore, if you have 30 kg on one of your bags, you have to hand carry 7 kg or put 7 kg worth of items into your 2nd bag and check in with two bags (you will need to carry 2 bags, and the 2nd bag itself also weighs). This would create problems as people do not like to carry so many things. Imagine you carry two bags sliding on the ground and walk with your laptop and a carry on bag while you are on a business trip.. how great do you feel?

Also, before this requirement, let's say you are one of their frequent flyers and you are entitled to four pieces of baggages to travel to/from USA to Singapore. Usually when you travel with them, you just simply carry two bags worth of 32 kg cause you don't have that many things that will fill up four bags. Now with the new rules, you will need to pack up three bags to fit all your belongings (32-23+32-23=18). If you use to go with 3 bags worth of 32 kg, your fourth bag won't even fit everything.

Most of the luggages are designed to fit 32 kg worth of stuff (or they are heavy itself and will take enough weight out already). Imagine now you don't put as many things in there, your luggages will become loose and all your stuff will fly around in the luggage when the very nice ground staff throw your luggage through the air onto the rack. How does that feel? I sure don't like it.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 7:44 am

CoolFish1103

The baggage charges exLAX are not to be found on SingaporeAir.com
They are as follows:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.