Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Simplified excess baggage charge (23kg per bag for all classes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Simplified excess baggage charge (23kg per bag for all classes)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2008, 9:52 pm

Programs: SQ *G, QF S, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Advantage Platinum
Originally Posted by Shofar
I really don't understand the 23K rant.

According to the SQ web page both F and C are entitled to more (32K) and *A Gold to an extra 20K.

What is going on??

Shofar
Yeah! What coolfish said.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by Singapore_Air
CoolFish1103

The baggage charges exLAX are not to be found on SingaporeAir.com
They are as follows:

Per extra piece of luggage: US$109 (to South East Asia)
When carrying two pieces but the luggage is declared overweight above the "flexible tolerance": US$327 (to South East Asia)
Following SQ's steps, now BR and CI are both implementing this system as well on April 15th, 2008 to all routes to North America. CX remains indifferent for now. A separate thread will be posted in the other asian section in regards to this.

As of today, both China Airlines and EVA Airway's website has nothing mentioned in regards to this change, and the old rules still stand on the website.
--
China Airlines' (CI) new rule only applies to passengers in Economy Class, which reduces the current 32 kg of two pieces of luggage to 23 kg of two pieces (-9kg x 2 = -18 kg).

All flyers for First and Dynasty (Business) Class remains the same as before.

All other routes remain the same with the old 40/30/20 kg rules for CI.
--
EVA Airway's (BR) new rule applies to all classes.

Premium Laurel (Business) Class will have the original 32 kg of three pieces of luggage modified to: 32 kg of two pieces, and 23 kg of one piece (Total number of luggages remain unchanged, -9 kg for the third one).

Elite/Evergreen Deluxe (Premium Economy) Class will have the original 32 kg of two pieces of luggage modified to: 28 kg of two pieces (-4 kg x 2 = -8 kg).

Economy Class will have the original 32 kg of two pieces of luggage modified to: 23 kg of two pieces (-9 kg x 2 = -18 kg).

All other routes remain the same with the old 30/25/20 kg rules for BR.
--
Costs of overweight for both CI and BR:

For each of the original two luggages that went overweight (between 23-32 kg), each piece will cost NTD 800, which is equivalent to around USD 26.50.

For an extra luggage that's not free (Max 23 kg), it iwll cost NTD 3136, which is equivalent to around USD 103.

Extra luggages from frequent flyer programs:

Nothing mentioned about the extra free luggages from the frequent flyer programs for the two airlines above.
--
Singapore Airlines' (SQ) new rule applies to all routes and all classes on April 1st, 2008. Specifically for the routes to North America, all classes have the maximum weight limit changed to 23 kg from the original 32 kg. Costs of overweight baggages remain the same for these routes. For all other routes, it has been divided into four sectors of costs, and the 40/30/20 kg rule for all routes beside North America remains unchanged.
--
A great news for Cathay Pacific (CX) flyers... baggage rules for all routes to North America remains unchanged, and the 40/30/20 kg rule for all routes beside North America also remain unchanged.
--
I guess now it's better to fly with CX if baggage restrictions are a problem to us the flyers who like to carry gifts around the world for relatives.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 6:10 am
Suspended

I think this new rule is BS. For Y Class, sure reduce the allowance as I can never understand why you can take the same amount in YJF to the US. However reducing J and F is a joke.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 6:43 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by Gotta Requalify
Yeah! What coolfish said.
This is too crazy for me!

I just flew on SQ in Y in December because SQ still had the 32kgs (piece) concept for USA (thus allowing me more cargo-carrying capacity), in lieu of flying on LH @23Kgs. per piece in Y (I would have been in business on LH anyway, using SWU's (upgrades)), but I would rather not have fought with LH over the J class baggage allowance issue each time, and needed the extra miles on the SQ routing as well.

However, since SQ is going completely crazy in all regards, it might not even make sense to fly them anymore... (this is my opinion, was started with the PPS changes, then with SQ21/22 to be converted to all-biz, and now this!! )

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy; Mar 14, 2008 at 12:00 pm Reason: Clarity, added points...
Old Aug 17, 2008, 11:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, Hertz PC, SPG Gold, HH Gold
OK - I am thoroughly confused now. I understand from the Singapore website and from flyertalk that the 32kg limit per bag has been changed to 23kg for business class flyers. But what I was told on the phone is that there is also a strict size limit (height + length + width) on the bags - 62 inches for the first bag and 50 inches for the second bag. Does anyone know if these size restrictions apply to business tickets as well as coach? And is the third bag allowed for Star Alliance gold status also subject to the smaller size restriction?

Also, I was told that in there is a weight restrictions on carry-on bags of 7kg. My little carry-on suitcase weighs 3kg empty so that doesn't leave me much allotment to pack anything! Does anyone know if the 7kg rule is strictly enforced? Do they actually weigh your bags at check-in or before you board? Any information you may be able to provide would be most helpful in our planning so thank you very much in advance.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 5:31 am

2 points:

1. Could the 23kg weight limit per piece be a concession to baggage handlers worldwide?
I rarely exceed 20kg per piece and my arms are falling off lifting the bag

2. While Asian airports impose a weight limit to luggage, am I correct to say that in North America, it has been 2 pieces to check in, no weight limit?
I ask because it would explain why buying a suitcase in the US has been a no-no for me.
They are so heavy even before packing anything inside!
Old Aug 18, 2008, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
Originally Posted by timetotravel

Also, I was told that in there is a weight restrictions on carry-on bags of 7kg. My little carry-on suitcase weighs 3kg empty so that doesn't leave me much allotment to pack anything! Does anyone know if the 7kg rule is strictly enforced? Do they actually weigh your bags at check-in or before you board? Any information you may be able to provide would be most helpful in our planning so thank you very much in advance.
There are mixed reports on th 7 Kg carry on limit.
On my last trip in July I did not have any problems with my carry on , and I did not see anyone having to weigh them at check in or at the gate.
I flew JFK-FRA-SIN-MLE in F and MLE-SIN-EWR in C

I weighed my carry on at home just in case and it came in around 8kg .
Camera/Lenses/Laptop / Ipod etc
Old Aug 21, 2008, 6:22 am

Programs: Krisflyer, Asia Miles
So can someone confirm, if travelling in Y from Australia to the US on SQ (i.e. with an o/n in SIN due to flight connections) I presume that as my point of final destination is North America that I am allowed 2 pieces of checked baggage up to 23kgs each.

Also, if I have a stopover in SIN on the return for a couple of nights, when I check in for the SIN to Australia flight do I still get the 2 bag rule?
Old Aug 21, 2008, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by soak01
So can someone confirm, if travelling in Y from Australia to the US on SQ (i.e. with an o/n in SIN due to flight connections) I presume that as my point of final destination is North America that I am allowed 2 pieces of checked baggage up to 23kgs each.

Also, if I have a stopover in SIN on the return for a couple of nights, when I check in for the SIN to Australia flight do I still get the 2 bag rule?
Yes, if this is all one ticket.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 1:04 pm

Programs: AS
Do they weigh your laptop bag? I'm thinking if they enforce the 7kg rule on the carryons, then maybe I can transfer some stuff to my laptop backpack.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 11:52 pm

Regarding 1 extra bag for *Gold members

The website says:

"KrisFlyer Elite Gold and Star Alliance Gold members"

But in the description below, it says:

"KrisFlyer Elite Gold members are entitled to 1 extra piece of checkin baggage in any class of travel."

There's no mention of *Gold here. So, will I get 1 extra 23kg bag to LAX if I'm a *Gold?

Thanks
Old Dec 20, 2008, 2:52 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Yes, that is a standard *G benefit.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 8:56 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Now that fuel is dropping with SQ reinstate the standard 32kg *3 for *Gold?

or just wishful thinking, I have a trip NA-Asia planned Jan 15

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.