Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

minimum connecting time at Changi Airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

minimum connecting time at Changi Airport

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2013, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by SASDC8
Sorry for bringing this old thread back to life, but what is the MCT at Changi if your are on two different PNRs on SQ and TG? My SQ flight should arrive at terminal 3 and TG flies out of terminal 1? Considering the two separate PNRs, I guess i would have to reclaim my bags at SIN and recheck them to BKK and onto my final destination HKT.

My SQ flight from CPH is scheduled to arrive at 0725 and the TG flight to BKK is to leave at 0815. Both flights are booked in business class, and the next TG flight to BKK is at 1225, and I would really like to not have a 5 hour transfer at Changi.
Still 60 mins.

YOU can check your bags through from wherever to HKT via SIN. No need to claim your bags or go through immigration. You need to take a train from T3 to T1. It is doable for 60 mins but considering the way T3 is designed..if you arrive at Gates A9-21, you need to take the Skytrain to the main arrivals hall... and then you need to walk through to the other end of the Terminal to take the Skytrain to T1.

See map : http://www.changiairport.com/imapswf/imap.html

HOWEVER - seeing that your flight is arriving at 0725 and your TG flight is departing at 0815, SQ WILL definitely NOT check your bags through as the time is too tight and you are basically misconnecting. You will have no choice but to book the later flight.

Even if you do not have bags, it is very very tight... SQ is generally on time but anything can happen... so I'd take the later flight if I were you. 5 hours at Changi is easy to while your time away.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:07 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Sorry for bringing this old thread back to life, but what is the MCT at Changi if your are on two different PNRs on SQ and TG? My SQ flight should arrive at terminal 3 and TG flies out of terminal 1? Considering the two separate PNRs, I guess i would have to reclaim my bags at SIN and recheck them to BKK and onto my final destination HKT.

My SQ flight from CPH is scheduled to arrive at 0725 and the TG flight to BKK is to leave at 0815. Both flights are booked in business class, and the next TG flight to BKK is at 1225, and I would really like to not have a 5 hour transfer at Changi.
MCT only applies to single tickets. With separate tickets it is meaningless.

Your issue is you need to either :

(a) check in at SIN for TG before it closes check-in, or
(b) have SQ through-check bags AND check in at SIN for TG before it closes check-in (eg transfer desk, OLCI if they have it) AND make the gate before it closes.

If you fly carry on only and the SQ flight is on-time then you might just be able to make transfer desk and gate for TG before they close. Otherwise it probably won't work.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 5:30 am

Programs: SK*G/EBD, Le Club Accor Plat, Club Carlson Concierge, Hilton Gold
Thank you Guy Betsy and Kiwi Flyer for your great replies. Will book the later flight and enjoy our time at Changi before we continue on to BKK and HKT

Cheers and have a great new year
Old Dec 31, 2013, 5:41 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Thank you Guy Betsy and Kiwi Flyer for your great replies. Will book the later flight and enjoy our time at Changi before we continue on to BKK and HKT

Cheers and have a great new year
You too.

SIN is not too bad an airport to have a moderately long transit.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
You too.

SIN is not too bad an airport to have a moderately long transit.
There's even a swimming pool for people who just need to take a dip (payable though)... then there's also a lot to discover. I like the butterfly aviary.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 6:20 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Pool is currently closed (until 28 February 2014) - http://www.changiairport.com/at-chan.../swimming-pool
Old Jan 5, 2014, 11:24 am

I am currently scheduled to arrive SIN from PEK (CA 975, in J) at 05:45, and connect to SQ940 to DPS (in J) at 07:05 -- a 1h 20m connection.

Though my wife and I can move quickly, neither of us has ever been to Changi, and we have very limited international travel experience (though are quite proficient in our US domestic traveling). We do not plan to check bags.

We are flying on UA award tickets, so I am far from optimistic about any chance to change the reservation in advance to get seats on the 09:35 flight, but I am telling myself that a rebooking shouldn't be too difficult if we misconnect.

How concerned should I be?
Any tips or other insight into the process that I should anticipate?
Is it possible to check in and get SQ SIN-DPS boarding passes during my preceding layover in PEK?

Thanks!
Old Jan 5, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Originally Posted by Daveyb101
I am currently scheduled to arrive SIN from PEK (CA 975, in J) at 05:45, and connect to SQ940 to DPS (in J) at 07:05 -- a 1h 20m connection.

Though my wife and I can move quickly, neither of us has ever been to Changi, and we have very limited international travel experience (though are quite proficient in our US domestic traveling). We do not plan to check bags.

We are flying on UA award tickets, so I am far from optimistic about any chance to change the reservation in advance to get seats on the 09:35 flight, but I am telling myself that a rebooking shouldn't be too difficult if we misconnect.

How concerned should I be?
If it's one ticket (one PNR) then I would not be concerned at all.

Even if CA975 flight arrived late and you missed the connection, there's an SQ codeshare with Guarda leaving at 07:25, and another SQ operated flight leaving at 09:20am.

The SQ flights from DPS do tend to be full, but travelling down there in J rather than Y you should be fine.

Originally Posted by Daveyb101
Any tips or other insight into the process that I should anticipate?
Is it possible to check in and get SQ SIN-DPS boarding passes during my preceding layover in PEK?
If you can get the BP's in PEK, then all the better for it; but I know SQ is a bit funny with CA boarding passes and I suspect the same sort of relationship exists the otherway around.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 7:40 am

Programs: SQ PPS, *A G
Recently I was booked NRT-SIN-CGK on SQ 637 eta 545 pm to SQ 966 etd 640pm. It was on same PNR and, in this particular case, I hade no hard deadlines ahead of me so I would have been ok with catching the later flight or spending the night in SIN if push came to shove, and I allowed myself to go along with such a tight transit time. All was going well until we had to enter hold pattern before arrival in SIN due to congestion and we ended up landing late at 6pm. I ended up exiting the aircraft shortly after at 6:05pm having flown J. I took the train from T3 to T2 and made it with some time to spare. It was a bit tighter for those who were at the back of the Whale jet from NRT, as many boarded closer to the 6:30 cut off time, some out of breath.

For me, it ended well. Bags made it too and even came out before Y bags. Only SQ and Changi could make this tight connection work, I think.

Last edited by SQShortFinal; Jan 6, 2014 at 8:27 am
Old Jan 21, 2014, 9:52 pm

I am planning on booking the following:

SQ462 MLE-SIN ETA: 22:05PM (SQ Award J)
connecting to
CA970 SIN-PEK ETD: 12:15AM (UA Partner Award F)
connection time: 2hr10m

Is that enough of a connection to take a risk with booking them separately?
Old Jan 21, 2014, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by WrLdTrvLnIndian
I am planning on booking the following:

SQ462 MLE-SIN ETA: 22:05PM (SQ Award J)
connecting to
CA970 SIN-PEK ETD: 12:15AM (UA Partner Award F)
connection time: 2hr10m

Is that enough of a connection to take a risk with booking them separately?
Yes you would be okay with more than 2 hours. Clearing immigration and collecting luggage would take prob max 30 minutes, you then have to take the skytrain to T1 to check them in again. Travelling to T1 will take max 10 minutes, and CA counters close 30 min before departure, so you're in good time. You may also want to do online check in before your flight.

http://www.airchina.sg/en/customerse...Q/checkin.html
Old Jan 22, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by SQ319
Yes you would be okay with more than 2 hours. Clearing immigration and collecting luggage would take prob max 30 minutes, you then have to take the skytrain to T1 to check them in again. Travelling to T1 will take max 10 minutes, and CA counters close 30 min before departure, so you're in good time. You may also want to do online check in before your flight.

SQ usually allow passengers to through check luggage to other "full service" carriers (main exclusions are the LCCs like Tiger, Jetstar, Air Asia, Cebu Pacific etc), even if on separate tickets. Just need to present itinerary/e ticket receipt of second flight at checkin for SQ flight. This should remove the need to clear immigration and recheck luggage. Will probably need to collect BP and have luggage tag number recorded at a transit desk though.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 11:35 am

thanks a lot, appreciate the info. Now the only concern remains if SQ is dealyed by more then 2hr then i am not protected , i guess i will hace to rely on luck and just that nothing crazy happens

Originally Posted by lokijuh
SQ usually allow passengers to through check luggage to other "full service" carriers (main exclusions are the LCCs like Tiger, Jetstar, Air Asia, Cebu Pacific etc), even if on separate tickets. Just need to present itinerary/e ticket receipt of second flight at checkin for SQ flight. This should remove the need to clear immigration and recheck luggage. Will probably need to collect BP and have luggage tag number recorded at a transit desk though.
thanks, that is helpful to know that i can at least have it checked all the way through.
i
Old Jan 22, 2014, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by lokijuh
Yup, but this is airline/agent specific and I had experiences when the agent could not check my bag through to my final destination for whatever reason, hence I'm giving the worst case scenario.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 7:13 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, *A G
Yup, but this is airline/agent specific and I had experiences when the agent could not check my bag through to my final destination for whatever reason, hence I'm giving the worst case scenario.
Airlines you can check thru your bags are listed on their website:

http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/tr...ckin-partners/

It is true it is agent specific in that some agents are not well-versed in such procedures, so you just need to be persistent and insist the matter is escalated to the supervisor, if you encounter any issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.