Singaporean drinks

Old Apr 1, 2006, 7:02 am
jhm
Original Poster

Singaporean drinks

Perhaps not of interest to those who indulge in Dom, Krug etc but apart from the Singapore Sling, are there any other beverages served on board which are Singaporean/Asian ? Tiger Beer ? If I'm sitting in F and I asked for a cup of Milo, would I get it ?
Old Apr 1, 2006, 7:11 am

Programs: PC
There is definitely Tiger Beer, though I don't really see the attraction for it, tastes pretty average.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 7:26 am

Programs: SQ TPP28, CX DM, DL P, GA CB, WOH LGLOB, HH D, MB G, Hertz P
"Iced Milo" is actually listed on the F drink list IIRC.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 7:39 am

If you have an ethnic Malay FA aboard - you can also ask for Teh (tea) or Milo "tarik" - which i have had. Popular in Malaysia - and a rather interesting drink.

Tarik literally translated means "pull" - in this case they aerate the drink by pouring it from one cup to another, but from an arm span apart, one on top of the other. Copious amounts of it end up on the floor - but that's what makes teh/milo tarik what it is.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 8:11 am
Suspended

Programs: some, * alliance, OW, ISIC,
the only other closest i can think is chinese tea which is served on some flights.... the other which im not sure is served onboard is peach green tea or iced peach tea. i dun recall seeing it on any of my previous flights.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 8:16 am
jhm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shortfinals
If you have an ethnic Malay FA aboard - you can also ask for Teh (tea) or Milo "tarik" - which i have had. Popular in Malaysia - and a rather interesting drink.

Tarik literally translated means "pull" - in this case they aerate the drink by pouring it from one cup to another, but from an arm span apart, one on top of the other. Copious amounts of it end up on the floor - but that's what makes teh/milo tarik what it is.
Excellent! I love teh tarik! Not sure whether I'd get one if I asked in Y though.

Do you mean the FA actually does the "pulling" of the tea in the galley ? Or does s/he cheat by whisking it (as some restaurants here in the UK do) ?

I assume SQ don't have on board other stuff like bandung, soursop juice etc.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 10:28 am
Suspended

Milo

Originally Posted by jhm
If I'm sitting in F and I asked for a cup of Milo, would I get it ?
I know its a silly question but is Milo generally perceived to be a Singaporean drink ?

Milo is manufactured by Nestle, a swiss company and is retailed in many countries around the world though it is especially popular in Malaysia. Actually MH will serve you Milo if you request for a cup of hot chocolate; and on short domestic flight in Y iced milo is the standard drink offered (apart from OJ).
Old Apr 1, 2006, 11:19 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
SQ has something it calls a Silver Kris Sling, which is a variation on the Singapore Sling. I tried it once but didn't care much for it, found it kind of bitter.

Flights to and from Japan usually have sake on board.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by mario33
I know its a silly question but is Milo generally perceived to be a Singaporean drink ?

Milo is manufactured by Nestle, a swiss company and is retailed in many countries around the world though it is especially popular in Malaysia. Actually MH will serve you Milo if you request for a cup of hot chocolate; and on short domestic flight in Y iced milo is the standard drink offered (apart from OJ).
I think Milo is an Asian drink, rather than a Singaporean drink. Milo is hard to find in Europe. Sainsbury in UK have only started selling it, and at exobidant prices. There is the Singaporean (or Malaysian) version of Milo, and there is the Australian version that is creamier.

Now, I wonder if I will get a Milo Dinosaur if I ask for one?
Old Apr 1, 2006, 6:53 pm
jhm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mario33
It is to me. The first few times I had Milo here in the UK was when M'sian/S'porean uni friends were generous enough to offer me some from what they'd carried to the UK.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by jhm
It is to me. The first few times I had Milo here in the UK was when M'sian/S'porean uni friends were generous enough to offer me some from what they'd carried to the UK.
IMHO I think Nestle has lost their way somewhat with the marketing - it just doesn't seem to stand out anymore here - brand awareness is probably low-ish.

Back a long time ago (not THAT long ago, but long enough for me to remember their ads between episodes of Dynasty) - they used to have some rather catchy jingles which rang in my head a long time after airing.

I think the English version ran something like: "It's marvellous what Milo can do for you!" "Buy a tin, make it a big tin, today"

And the malay version ran "Minum Milo anda jadi Sihat dan Kuat""Belilah tin yang besar hari ini" - which apart from the call to buy the larger size, isn't a literal translation of the English tagline.

Or, maybe the reason why Milo's so far from my mind now is the fact that today,I consume copious quantities of Diet Coke (SQ FTers know this ).....
Old Apr 1, 2006, 7:54 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, DL Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by SQ319
I think Milo is an Asian drink, rather than a Singaporean drink. Milo is hard to find in Europe. Sainsbury in UK have only started selling it, and at exobidant prices. There is the Singaporean (or Malaysian) version of Milo, and there is the Australian version that is creamier.
I don't know about the rest of the world, but I had Milo (pronounced 'Mee-lo" in Spanish ) when I lived in Latin America as a kid, so it's definitely not only Asian. I was actually surprised to see it in Asia when I moved there.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by MovieMan
I don't know about the rest of the world, but I had Milo (pronounced 'Mee-lo" in Spanish ) when I lived in Latin America as a kid, so it's definitely not only Asian. I was actually surprised to see it in Asia when I moved there.
Well - back to that jingle - it was pronounced "mee-lo" in the malay version, and "my-lo" in the english one.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 8:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: some, * alliance, OW, ISIC,
Milo has traditionally been something of a hot chocolate until hot chocolate and sustagen came along. And yes i think many of us here would remember the jingle the company used in TV commercials. Its unfortunate that with the advent of new products similar to milo, its not really something you hear slipping off the tongues of people nowadays but it is still being purchased and inlarge amounts. I n sydney, its not uncommon to see 3 kg milo tins being bough in supermarkets. I still enjoy milo if its not diluted with too much water.

That being said, if someone feels really strongly about it, just ask your pps co-ordinater. They might replace hot chocolate with Milo.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 11:35 pm

Programs: SQ TPP28, CX DM, DL P, GA CB, WOH LGLOB, HH D, MB G, Hertz P
Originally Posted by trekkie
That being said, if someone feels really strongly about it, just ask your pps co-ordinater. They might replace hot chocolate with Milo.
It IS on the menu.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.