Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Book the Cook 2005 - 2019

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2015, 7:49 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by pequalsmd
I'm a little confused about how Book the Cook works. In suites class on the FRA-JFK flight can you choose lobster thermidor even though it is a brunch flight?
SQ limits the options depending on meal. Example SQ won't let you BTC lobster for breakfast. So if lobster is available on the BTC dropdown for brunch, then yes you can have lobster for brunch.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 12:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pequalsmd
I'm a little confused about how Book the Cook works. In suites class on the FRA-JFK flight can you choose lobster thermidor even though it is a brunch flight?
yes you can - in fact I had Lobster Thermidor ex-FRA on my way to JFK. The lobster ex-FRA was pretty good!
Old Nov 29, 2015, 1:25 am

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by HouFly
what BTC options would folks recommend for someone experiencing Suites Class for the First time?

I've heard a lot about the lobster thermidor and it has already been selected as one of my options. I have multiple segments, so what should I choose for other BTC options? on another dinner flight I can again choose the lobster thermidor if its that good -- but figured I'd try something diff just for the new experience!
Drink as much Krug as you can is always been my treat on the flights. food well it's still airplane food so i've just dealt with onboard. There are plenty of options in suites so i've never had a problem with the approach. I don't know what i'm in the mood for tomorrow for lunch let alone next week.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 7:20 am

How is the lobster thermidor on Business Class? I'm flying J for the first time (Singapore to Hanoi), and am considering the Lobster Thermidor. On 1st class it wouldn't be a question, less certain on the Business Class.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 8:02 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by Sastan
How is the lobster thermidor on Business Class? I'm flying J for the first time (Singapore to Hanoi), and am considering the Lobster Thermidor. On 1st class it wouldn't be a question, less certain on the Business Class.
I didn't know there's a difference in that dish between first and business class, how is it made differently?
Old Nov 29, 2015, 9:10 am

Programs: many
This week.
ex-SIN, beef Redang was decent, Nasi Lemak was better but pretty much the same sauce for both. Nasi Lemak has more spice overall if you are into that.

ex-FRA Boston Thermidor ex-FRA was excellent, the best I've had on a plane.
Halibut was just so-so but a better choice than Chicken Caesar.

IMO, avoid the Chicken Supreme, its inedible.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 5:06 am
tub

Programs: IHG Ambassador, KrisFlyer
The quality varies a lot between all the book the cook options.

Good:

I'm not a particular fan of the Lobster Thermidor out of Singapore but the one out of London Heathrow far superior.

The U.S. Grilled Beef Fillet was superbly cooked.

The Bad

The sushi out of Singapore is absolutely horrible. Don't go for it.

The Seared Nut Veal Filet was tough as nails.

Anyway, I've taken some pictures/thoughts of all my book the cook meals here if you're interested to find out more!
Old Dec 6, 2015, 5:24 am

Made the following bookings for my SQ26 SIN-JFK flight in Suites:

SIN-FRA:
Supper: Peranakan Hokkien Mee Soup
Breakfast: Nasi Lemak
(the plan is to defer the hokkien mee to an mid-flight snack and order from the regular menu for supper)

FRA-JFK:
Brunch: Boston Lobster Thermidor
Lunch: (not BTCing)

Can anyone comment on the Asian options ex-FRA? I've heard good things about the lobster, but I've been deprived of Asian food for the last little while, so I'd love to hear if there have been any good experiences out of FRA.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 5:11 pm

Great photos, thanks for sharing!

Originally Posted by tub
The quality varies a lot between all the book the cook options.

Good:

I'm not a particular fan of the Lobster Thermidor out of Singapore but the one out of London Heathrow far superior.

The U.S. Grilled Beef Fillet was superbly cooked.

The Bad

The sushi out of Singapore is absolutely horrible. Don't go for it.

The Seared Nut Veal Filet was tough as nails.

Anyway, I've taken some pictures/thoughts of all my book the cook meals here if you're interested to find out more!
Old Dec 6, 2015, 11:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tng11
Made the following bookings for my SQ26 SIN-JFK flight in Suites:

SIN-FRA:
Supper: Peranakan Hokkien Mee Soup
Breakfast: Nasi Lemak
(the plan is to defer the hokkien mee to an mid-flight snack and order from the regular menu for supper)

FRA-JFK:
Brunch: Boston Lobster Thermidor
Lunch: (not BTCing)

Can anyone comment on the Asian options ex-FRA? I've heard good things about the lobster, but I've been deprived of Asian food for the last little while, so I'd love to hear if there have been any good experiences out of FRA.
just did SQ26 last month - I did not do any asian option btc ex-fra but i did the lobster thermidor for brunch and it was excellent!

meant to do nasi lemak for the breakfast prior to landing, but last minute switched to kaiseki breakfast (which was pretty good as well)
Old Dec 7, 2015, 12:59 am
tub

Originally Posted by breadman2
Great photos, thanks for sharing!
Thanks! It's a shame that SQ's own website doesn't go into more detail with the dishes!
Old Dec 7, 2015, 2:49 am
Suspended

Anyone have any meal recommendations for:

LAX - NRT

NRT - LAX

Was leaning towards the lobster for both.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 3:37 am
tub

Originally Posted by TMM1982
Anyone have any meal recommendations for:

LAX - NRT

NRT - LAX

Was leaning towards the lobster for both.
For one leg, I would highly recommend opting for the Hanakoireki course. This isn't Book the Cook, but a special course that's reserved for Business Class (& above) flights between Tokyo and Los Angeles/San Francisco.

Otherwise, the Steamed crab ravioli in creamy lobster sauce with mixed vegetables was quite tasty.

Shameless plug but you can see some photos and descriptions for book the cook on my blog here
Old Dec 7, 2015, 4:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tub
For one leg, I would highly recommend opting for the Hanakoireki course. This isn't Book the Cook, but a special course that's reserved for Business Class (& above) flights between Tokyo and Los Angeles/San Francisco.

Otherwise, the Steamed crab ravioli in creamy lobster sauce with mixed vegetables was quite tasty.

Shameless plug but you can see some photos and descriptions for book the cook on my blog here
Thanks, nice food pics!
Old Dec 7, 2015, 11:04 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by tub
In first class kyo kaiseki is available on the Japan flights regular menu (and also book the cook). Be aware this option is popular and sometimes runs out (if not BTC'ed).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.