Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Book the Cook 2005 - 2019

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2013, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by leogeo
they will still load one of each choice even if there is only 1 pax in P who booked the cook
I can't remember where I read it, but I recall reading that someone who was solo in F and ordered the Kyo-Kaiseki found that it was the only meal loaded, since the Japanese meal represents the entire meal in itself apparently. But it could have changed since then.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 5:05 am

Programs: LH SEN, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Any updated info on BTC from FRA and JFK? Any suggestions or should one go with the regular catering in business class?
Old Mar 4, 2014, 9:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by stargold
I can't remember where I read it, but I recall reading that someone who was solo in F and ordered the Kyo-Kaiseki found that it was the only meal loaded, since the Japanese meal represents the entire meal in itself apparently. But it could have changed since then.
I think that story is still a misunderstanding as this was on a overnigth flight from SIN to SYD where SQ does not offer a full supper service.

To the best of my knowledge, SQ has never changed its policy: In Suites/First, BTC is loaded on top of the regular offerings.

I did BTC from MUC to SIN recently and was the only one in F. Checked with the crew: all items were loaded and available.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by SMK77
To the best of my knowledge, SQ has never changed its policy: In Suites/First, BTC is loaded on top of the regular offerings.

I did BTC from MUC to SIN recently and was the only one in F. Checked with the crew: all items were loaded and available.
that is definitely true.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 8:41 am

Flying SQ221 in Suites and it looks like Dinner and Continental Breakfast will be served. I can only BTC for the Dinner meal.

Would I be allowed to book the Kyo-kaiseki for dinner and request to have it for the breakfast meal, then choosing from the regular menu for dinner?

EDIT: found my answer already. Sorry!
Old Mar 9, 2014, 8:19 pm

Programs: Marriott & SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, ex-Fairmont Plat, ex-Swissotel Eleva
Originally Posted by tng11
Flying SQ221 in Suites and it looks like Dinner and Continental Breakfast will be served. I can only BTC for the Dinner meal.

Would I be allowed to book the Kyo-kaiseki for dinner and request to have it for the breakfast meal, then choosing from the regular menu for dinner?

EDIT: found my answer already. Sorry!
Would saving a Main from the regular menu be better idea than the whole Kyo-kaiseki meal for breakfast? At least I will prefer to have my sashimis in the Kyo-kaiseki earlier so they will taste better.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 11:33 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, AA Exec Platinum, TG ROP, WOH Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum
Question on BTC vs. on-board menus

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but need some assistance re: Book the Cook for our upcoming trip.

Some background: flying to DEL (via NRT and SIN) in a few weeks (in J). Second time flying SQ, first with the spouse. Never done BTC before.

He's vegetarian (well actually pescetarian)...and I'm not

He usually orders special meals on planes (either Asian vegetarian or Hindu or something else like that) and they usually end up being fairly non-descript or memorable across-the-board (with the occasional exception). I think this time he wants to take advantage of BTC.

Question is: how often would you say that it's worth "gambling" on the on-board menu vs. BTC? I'd think he could BTC for all 3 legs but I'm concerned he might miss out on some of the better dishes offered on the menu should he go that direction.

As for me, I think I'll take my chances on the on-board menus. Thought for a moment about ordering the lobster on one of the legs but I always find that lobster (even at great restaurants) gets easily overcooked and chewy, so can only assume this would be the case on a plane. Any experience with that?
Old Nov 11, 2014, 10:59 pm

Programs: SQ PPS
Hi Filmwill - my two cents! Personally I tend to BTC as a safety-net - if I get on board see something on the menu I like, I ask nicely if it's possible to have that in place of the BTC meal. Thus far I've never been turned down, and I reckon they typically load plenty of extra options, so it's not as if another passenger is being deprived of their choice. In that case I guess the crew get to enjoy the surplus BTC meal!

Regarding the lobster thermidor - that is one of my favorite BTC meals ex-SIN, whether in J or F! I find it well and consistently executed - it's perhaps a little more cooked than ideal, but pretty great by in-flight food standards - would suggest you give it a shot!
Old Nov 12, 2014, 5:48 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by fractal89
Hi Filmwill - my two cents! Personally I tend to BTC as a safety-net - if I get on board see something on the menu I like, I ask nicely if it's possible to have that in place of the BTC meal. Thus far I've never been turned down, and I reckon they typically load plenty of extra options, so it's not as if another passenger is being deprived of their choice. In that case I guess the crew get to enjoy the surplus BTC meal!

Regarding the lobster thermidor - that is one of my favorite BTC meals ex-SIN, whether in J or F! I find it well and consistently executed - it's perhaps a little more cooked than ideal, but pretty great by in-flight food standards - would suggest you give it a shot!
+1

Study the BTC categories ( varies depending on airport too ) as the selections are interesting . Inflight there always seem to have fish , vege options which you can always opt for even if you have BTC .
Crew are pleasantly accommodating .
Old Nov 12, 2014, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, AA Exec Platinum, TG ROP, WOH Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum
Thanks to both of you for your responses...much appreciated!

That's exactly what I wanted to know: that it's not uncouth to have opted in for BTC and then opt-out on the flight if you find a "better" option.

Sounds like that's not a problem for both of your experiences.

Glad to hear it and now I feel a bit more confident in using BTC across-the-board.

Thanks again!
Old Nov 15, 2014, 11:25 pm
Suspended

just did SQ802 with BTC of the boston lobster thermidor

requested the crew not to overheat it as the last time i had the lobster it was tough to chew on.

the crew obliged and the lobster was only lukewarm. It was less rubbery but still not great.

I did a BTC for my dad who was in J in the same flight and he felt that the lobster was rather bland

Will likely skip the lobster on my future trips with SQ
Old Feb 21, 2015, 7:11 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, BA Gold, UA Gold MM, DL SM MM, Hyatt Glob, HH Diam, Marriott Ti/LT Plat, IHG Plat
Vegetarian BTC options?

My wife and I will be flying Suites on SQ 26 SIN-FRA-JFK in a few days. I have booked Vegetarian Indian for all four meals (Supper and Breakfast on the first flight, Brunch and Light Meal on the second flight). Although I've been very happy with SQ's vegetarian Indian food in the past, I thought it might be fun to vary the pattern a little. So I've been looking for a Book the Cook option that's vegetarian (no meat, fowl, fish, or eggs, but milk products are fine) for one of the meals on the FRA-JFK flight. Other than a couple of megasalads that appear to be available ex Singapore but not ex Frankfurt, the only BTC that looks as though it might be vegetarian is something called "buonfatti" with spinach. I have never heard of buonfatti and neither has Google, but context and etymology suggest that it might be a kind of pasta. Does anyone know? Even better, has anyone tried it? And/or any other BTC meals that happen to be vegetarian? Thanks so much.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 12:43 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
find the lobster thermidors to be a little rubbery of late.
tried the nut crusted veal the other day... was quite yummy...
Old Feb 24, 2015, 4:46 am

I have an aeroplan award on SQ. Can I check the BTC option for it online?
Old Feb 27, 2015, 7:34 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, CX MPO DM
Not sure if anyone has brought this up... previously Breakfast-only options such as Warm Waffle with Strawberry Coulis and Swedish Wholegrain Crisp Bread are now available for other meals. Had actually submitted a feedback about this --- as Sleeper service flights did not allow Breakfast-only options to be booked in the past.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.