Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

New Airbus A380 may not fly until early 2018 (Aug 11, 2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2017, 4:52 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

David Flynn - August 11, 2017

Singapore Airlines' new Airbus A380 may not fly until early 2018

https://www.ausbt.com.au/singapore-a...til-early-2018

Mods - feel free to merge
Old Aug 13, 2017, 7:40 pm

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
I hope they still do the announcement of the new suites (and J if there is one) this year though... that's what everyone's waiting for (mostly)

I do hope they push back to late May and have to do some 'test/familiarization' flights to HKG (ahhh wishful thinking)
Old Aug 13, 2017, 11:18 pm

SQ's product launch is still slated for this year, and we're still hearing November – although interestingly, they'll need to work around EK's own November launch – and yes, this will include new business class as well as first class (likely also the new premium economy and economy seats).
Old Aug 14, 2017, 4:38 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by djsflynn
(likely also the new .... economy seats).
Old Aug 14, 2017, 5:51 am

SQ's product launch is still slated for this year, and we're still hearing November – although interestingly, they'll need to work around EK's own November launch – and yes, this will include new business class as well as first class (likely also the new premium economy and economy seats).
So SQ will be announcing its new J and new F suites, but not actually flying the new F suite-fitted aircraft until the new A380s come into service in early 2018?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
So SQ will be announcing its new J and new F suites, but not actually flying the new F suite-fitted aircraft until the new A380s come into service in early 2018?
I'm not able to make a definitive statement on this, but yes, I'm expecting to see a media launch for the product in Nov/Dec ahead of the delivery & commercial flights of the new A380.

(This is what most airlines do, and indeed what SQ has done in the past with F, J, Y and Y+ products.)
Old Aug 15, 2017, 5:45 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
That's a shame, did SIA say why the delay?

What a shame, I have a few Suites flights in January so I guess I will miss out the new Suites ....
Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by kamchatsky

What a shame, I have a few Suites flights in January so I guess I will miss out the new Suites ....
My guess is that the new EK F product will still surpass SQ's.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by fly747first
Not that hard when you're being bankrolled by an oil Sheik.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:39 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
Still? It doesn't at the moment.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
While I have not seen the new EK product, I think I can safely say that this will not happen: EK will have 6 seats in a much smaller footprint and they will stick to a two-aisle concept (comparable with CX) while SQ will have their new Suites with a much larger footprint in a one-aisle concept with different zones (comparable with Etihad's apartment).

For EK, new First Class will still be a 'mass' product available on most flights while SQ will have only very selected and 'exclusive' routes where this new product will be offered.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by kamchatsky
SQ never said there'd be a 'delay' as such because it never pegged a firm delivery date.

The airline has previously talked of October as an ideal delivery date to tie into the 10th anniversary of the SQ A380 but even then suggested it might well be later.

Its most recent comment on timing was to specify delivery by end of financial year (and qualifying this as the SIN govt/corp FY which ends March 2018) vs calendar year.

None of that actually makes explicit a delay which requires explanation, rather it suggests a 'flexible continuum of the delivery timeframe' (yeah, I know that sounds like I've just channelled Sir Humphrey Appleby from Yes Minister!)... but I suspect that come the launch event or at least the actual delivery flight there may be some 'on background' or 'off the record' comments on any slippage.

Last edited by djsflynn; Sep 5, 2017 at 8:46 pm
Old Sep 5, 2017, 8:10 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
SQ never said there'd be a 'delay' as such because it never pegged a firm delivery date.

The airline has previously talked of October as an ideal delivery date to tie into the 10th anniversary of the SQ A380 but even then suggested it might well be later.

Is most recent comment on timing was to specify delivery by end of financial year (and qualifying this as the SIN govt/corp FY which ends March 2018) vs calendar year.

None of that actually makes explicit a delay which requires explanation, rather it suggests a 'flexible continuum of the delivery timeframe' (yeah, I know that sounds like I've just channelled Sir Humphrey Appleby from Yes Minister!)... but I suspect that come the launch event or at least the actual delivery flight there may be some 'on background' or 'off the record' comments on any slippage.
Thanks for the update/explanation.

Love the phrase: 'flexible continuum of the delivery timeframe'...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.