Purchasing a ticket in SIA

Old Aug 10, 2017, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Purchasing a ticket in SIA

Hello everyone,

I was trying to purchase a one way ticket the other day and saw that the fare displayed when I pick a particular flight vs the total fare are totally different. I tried talking to SIA and they say it's working as intended. I have booked numerous tickets at other airline websites and don't remember seeing such an issue. It makes no sense to me. SIA defends saying that it is working as intended.

See my tweet here for the pic:

Am I expecting too much here?
Old Aug 12, 2017, 4:25 am

Yes, it's deceptive and it's how it works. The "from" is a universal get out. The same as how ISPs say "up to" a certain speed. Try a SIN-LHR return in business, then select SQ 322 and 321 and compare them to the fare initially shown if you really want a shock. You'll see a box flash up with the incremental amount next to the booking summary box.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Some airlines do not do this like TAP, when you book one way or return the fare is fair, so to speak. But most airlines jack up the one way when compared to purchasing a return fare, thats business and how airlines make money. Get used to it or look for an airline that is fair, good luck.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: SQ TPPS, BA Silver
There should be at least one flight selection that is priced at 42,982 INR.

Whether or not it is a desirable flight timing for you or has a long connection would be a separate issue.

The flight you have chosen is still classified as a "Economy Flexi Saver" option and hence the price is listed under that column, although probably the lower fare buckets within this option has been booked up, which is why you are quoted a higher final price.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Regardless - a head up - unless you are a PR/Citizen, or hold any long-term visa (like F-1, H-1B, etc.), buying a OW ticket to the U.S. is a big no.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
Regardless - a head up - unless you are a PR/Citizen, or hold any long-term visa (like F-1, H-1B, etc.), buying a OW ticket to the U.S. is a big no.
Not a problem. Your one way will still get ticketed. If asked at checkin or immigration, you just need to show the return leg on some other ticket. I do this all the time on separate redemption tickets.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:25 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Not true. You just need to have a separate ticket out of the US that you can show (if needed) at checkin.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Not a problem. Your one way will still get ticketed. If asked at checkin or immigration, you just need to show the return leg on some other ticket. I do this all the time on separate redemption tickets.
Originally Posted by lokijuh
Not true. You just need to have a separate ticket out of the US that you can show (if needed) at checkin.
Take my words literally - When I say OW, I really mean OW...

Not sure why jumping for the gun...
Old Aug 13, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Take my words literally - When I say OW, I really mean OW...

Not sure why jumping for the gun...
Given this a very specific board discussing flying and travel, I did take your words literally. "Buying a OW ticket" has a specific meaning.

Now if you'd said "a one way trip" or "one way travel", then it would be different ...
cowie likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 7:18 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
OP actually has a point here. He is buying a one way ticket for one adult, so the fare should be exactly the inr43k shown on the table. No?

It's a different story if it was for multiple pax (1 pax prices at the lowest amount but the others might price into a higher fare bucket). Or if it was a return journey where the return leg had a hire fare. But one way one pax ... what possible reason is there that the final amount prices extra?
Old Aug 13, 2017, 7:37 pm

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
Sometimes SQ's site doesn't add some taxes in the 'from...' listing (for some strange reason).

But as Phaze satated, the 'from...' is the lowest priced option and it can actually be higher based on your selection, just choose between the options and one should eventually match the displayed rate.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.