Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SQ to review serving nuts after toddler has allergic reaction to pax eating peanuts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQ to review serving nuts after toddler has allergic reaction to pax eating peanuts

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2017, 1:09 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by davidj1
While we're at it, lets call for a ban on alcohol. How many times has an aircraft needed to make an unscheduled landing/diverted due to an unruly, drunk or abusive passenger?
Haha no, make them BOB, and (unlike peanuts) ban BYOB. How often have you heard of aircraft making an unscheduled landing/diverted due to an passenger who bought too much BOB alcohol to drink?
Old Jul 23, 2017, 3:16 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by davidj1
While we're at it, lets call for a ban on alcohol.
Already. Saudia.

OK, ban peanuts. Alcohol. Dogs/cats/pets. Y cabin.

So, where do we stop?

Last edited by invisible; Jul 23, 2017 at 9:09 am
Old Jul 23, 2017, 12:18 pm

I've been reading this thread with a bit of amusement and dismay.

While the father was prepared (as he should be), he also must take responsibility. With all the allergens out there, what would be left without it? You wouldn't be able to serve anything. Literally. Peanut oil is often used and that can cause peanut allergies... then "nut allergies"... many Asians are lactose intolerant and seafood? Citrus oil/juice (one place I worked had a total ban on any form of citrus on the floor at all times of the day because one person was severely allergic...to the point where even just a hint from someone who was on the floor hours before could trigger it)...

Then as someone mentioned, if you're not informing people early enough, there will be people who can't really make reasonably priced alternatives (you're telling me this after I boarded the plane?)...

Then there are those who have medical conditions like diabetes where they need to keep at least some food near them (and nut-based snacks like trail-mix are quite common)... who is to say someone's allergies are more important than other people's medical conditions?

You want a dry airline? I can understand that. Religious meals? All for it. But the point is there is no way for SQ or any other airline to make themselves hypo-allergenic (as it were). You can only do so much and to ask for more, I just don't see it happening.

(Edited to correct it should be hypo-allergenic, not hyper-allergenic)

Last edited by StuckInYYZ; Jul 23, 2017 at 2:09 pm
Old Jul 23, 2017, 6:34 pm

Peanut oil has gone through a refining process that has removed the allergens.

And the alcohol withdrawal by certain airlines has never considered allergy as a potential reason. It's down to religious preferences (in the case of Saudia) or simply cost (like MH).
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Peanut oil has gone through a refining process that has removed the allergens.

And the alcohol withdrawal by certain airlines has never considered allergy as a potential reason. It's down to religious preferences (in the case of Saudia) or simply cost (like MH).
I have seen people who still have issues when unknowingly consuming peanut products (regardless of the refining... they didn't even know it was touched by nuts or peanuts prior to consuming the food).

As for alcohol, it does make some people sick (not a common allergy). Yes, I realise the majority of the dry airlines are doing it on cost or religion, but the point was that alcohol can be a choice, but if we're going to ensure an allergen sterile environment, it's not going to happen...there will always be someone who is allergic to something on the plane (food product or not). There is only so much that can be done for them (short of building some sort of chamber for them).
Old Jul 23, 2017, 10:24 pm

Programs: KF*G, Cathay Silver
As fathers, we have to take ownership and responsibility of our kid's condition and health.

If my kids are allergic or sensitive to tobacco smoke, I make the effort to choose a non-smoking hotel when travelling overseas. Same, if one knows that their kids are allergic to peanuts, there is a need to make that same effort to choose an airline that is nut-free (if any). FWIW, SQ has made it very clear in their website that they cannot guarantee a nut-free cabin. With this information on hand, such parents would and should consider other airlines that can cater to their needs.

Asking for a complete ban on nuts or seeking compensation when one has not done its due diligence? That's absurd.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by yewgene
Asking for a complete ban on nuts or seeking compensation when one has not done its due diligence? That's absurd.
Were the Daleys asking for a complete ban, or compensation?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 1:15 am

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Platinum; Marriott Rewards Gold; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
Were the Daleys asking for a complete ban, or compensation?
The mom said something to the effect of "All they have to do is just stop serving peanuts … and there's so many snacks." Pretty high-handed there IMO.I.e. "it's all about my kid.."

And they've lodged a 'formal complaint' which indicates they're seeking compensation of some sort though IMO the airline did nothing wrong.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
So we don't allow medical emergency diversions?
What happens with nut allergy is foreseeable. All others may not.

Beside - as a caution, some airlines did deny boarding people with serious health issues without their doctors signing off.

So airlines indeed want to avoid medical emergency diversions as many as possible.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by garykung
What happens with nut allergy is foreseeable. All others may not.
Yes I amended my comments on foreseeability. But on the same line of thought (convenience and foreseeability), SQ can reinstate smoking also just as long as they'd state on some webpage they allow it.

Originally Posted by puddiemel
The mom said something to the effect of "All they have to do is just stop serving peanuts … and there's so many snacks." Pretty high-handed there IMO.I.e. "it's all about my kid.."
Yet that is not calling for a complete ban on others bringing peanuts/using peanut oil/growing peanuts as ornament in the first class cabin...

Originally Posted by puddiemel
And they've lodged a 'formal complaint' which indicates they're seeking compensation of some sort though IMO the airline did nothing wrong.
Complaint without compensation http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...l#post28586420
Old Jul 24, 2017, 4:16 am

Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
SQ can reinstate smoking also just as long as they'd state on some webpage they allow it.
Hypothetically let them...

Lets say a reasonable person was allergic to cigarette smoke, to the point they could die, they could:

1. Do research. Does SIA allow smoking? Yes. Therefore they could consider other airlines that prohibit smoking, and avoid SIA.
2. If a person continued to choose SIA, they could safely assume there would be smokers and therefore cigarette smoke on the aircraft. Assuming otherwise could be a deadly mistake.
3. A reasonable person would therefore be prepared. Epinephrine Injector, face mask, oxygen tank (?), seating in the non-smoking area on the aircraft, liaise with SIA on the best approach for the situation as they have a 'special need' (ie what else can they do for their special need on board SIA).

4a. Board the aircraft prepared; or
4b. Board unprepared; and

5. Get home and lodge an official complaint that smokers were on my flight, and approach the media and complain about SIA, how they allowed smoking, and how they almost died.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 5:56 am

I think this shouldn't be SQ's problem and neither do I think that SQ should stop serving peanuts just to accommodate to 1 passenger. The parents are completely unreasonable to think that the whole world should stop eating peanuts just because their kid has an allergy. Pick a different airline then.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by garykung
Then is it reasonable to inconvenience 100+ passengers for 1 persons?
Yes. The "cost" of inconvenience 100+ paxs is a person's life.

should we destroy all nuts because there are people who are nut allergic? Or should the airlines simply ban travel of all people with food allergies?
No and no, both are unreasonable. Again, airlines should make a reasonable attempt. Not serving nuts and prohibiting other paxs from bringing nuts is not unreasonable.

Then we definitely need to ban the entire Y class.

Economy-class syndrome (deep vein thrombosis) is very true and life-threatening.
Lol, now we're getting ridiculous.

Because airlines have responsibilities to others as well.
Responsibility for safety and comfort.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 7:53 am

For all nut suporters (no pun intended), please explain/justify policies re durian juxtaposed against policies re nuts.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Troopers
For all nut suporters (no pun intended), please explain/justify policies re durian juxtaposed against policies re nuts.
I can answer that one - it's never been allowed, so why allow it now? Regimented lockstep.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.