Wiki Posts
Search

Paid BKK-SIN J then SQ26 F award

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Alaska Air, & BA
Paid BKK-SIN J then SQ26 F award

I couldn’t book BKK-SIN-FRA-JFK as one F award ticket. So I booked an award ticket for me and my wife on SQ26 in F. I then paid for BKK-SIN in J. I have a couple of questions as this is my first time flying SQ.
1 – In BKK will they check our bags all the way through to JFK even though we have two tickets?
2 – I know there is a new lounge in BKK but what other lounges can we visit? My son & daughter in law have an earlier flight to DEL so we will go with them to the airport and have 3 hours to kill.
3 – Anything else I should be aware off with two tickets like this.

Thanks!
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:13 am

Programs: AY, SQ, EK
Originally Posted by Pulley
I couldn’t book BKK-SIN-FRA-JFK as one F award ticket. So I booked an award ticket for me and my wife on SQ26 in F. I then paid for BKK-SIN in J. I have a couple of questions as this is my first time flying SQ.
1 – In BKK will they check our bags all the way through to JFK even though we have two tickets?
2 – I know there is a new lounge in BKK but what other lounges can we visit? My son & daughter in law have an earlier flight to DEL so we will go with them to the airport and have 3 hours to kill.
3 – Anything else I should be aware off with two tickets like this.

Thanks!
Might not have the answers, but I will try.

1. TG do ground handling for SQ; have found them to be somewhat less flexible than SQ at SIN, but I would be surprised if they won't check your bags through - my experience with SQ has been very positive over the years
- I have only ever done what you're doing (connecting to SIN-FRA-JFK in Suites) once; OZ at ICN were happy to check my bag through, no questions

2. I can't now remember ever visiting more than 1 lounge before any given flight. Having said that - my opinion is that the TG lounges are ok, but forgettable. Wouldn't bother with those. BR (EVA Air) lounge is quite nice, but have no concept of how far that might be from the SQ lounge. In any case, it's pretty good. Visited the new SQ lounge a few weeks ago - it actually is quite nice. Do also note it's close to the gates that SQ use, so definitely go there last. I wouldn't be too keen to visit several lounges just for the sake of it, but of course this is something that comes down to individual preferences.

Enjoy the flights!
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:27 am

Programs: KF
call KF to link ur BKK-SIN J ticket to ur SIN-JFK. I had a MNL-SIN-SFO J award ticket last year and tried calling KF and told them that I have separate Star Alliance award J ticket on UA , SFO -ANC on the same day. After a couple of minutes hold, my UA ticket is already linked to my SQ ticket. At MNL check in, the agent said hi, so travelling to AnchoraJ? Oh yeah, AnchoraJ it is.....

so, if SQ can link to UA why not SQ to SQ...
Old Jun 22, 2017, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nanyang

1. TG do ground handling for SQ; have found them to be somewhat less flexible than SQ at SIN, but I would be surprised if they won't check your bags through - my experience with SQ has been very positive over the years
- I have only ever done what you're doing (connecting to SIN-FRA-JFK in Suites) once; OZ at ICN were happy to check my bag through, no questions

2. I can't now remember ever visiting more than 1 lounge before any given flight. Having said that - my opinion is that the TG lounges are ok, but forgettable. Wouldn't bother with those. BR (EVA Air) lounge is quite nice, but have no concept of how far that might be from the SQ lounge. In any case, it's pretty good. Visited the new SQ lounge a few weeks ago - it actually is quite nice. Do also note it's close to the gates that SQ use, so definitely go there last. I wouldn't be too keen to visit several lounges just for the sake of it, but of course this is something that comes down to individual preferences.

Enjoy the flights!
Thanks and we are going to stay in the SQ lounge.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wanderer9020
call KF to link ur BKK-SIN J ticket to ur SIN-JFK. I had a MNL-SIN-SFO J award ticket last year and tried calling KF and told them that I have separate Star Alliance award J ticket on UA , SFO -ANC on the same day. After a couple of minutes hold, my UA ticket is already linked to my SQ ticket. At MNL check in, the agent said hi, so travelling to AnchoraJ? Oh yeah, AnchoraJ it is.....

so, if SQ can link to UA why not SQ to SQ...
Great idea I will call them. Thanks
Old Jun 22, 2017, 4:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
What is the time between these flights? Are you aware that, if your inbound to SIN is very late or cancelled, or for whatever reason you do not present yourself for your SQ flight on time, the entire ticket will be cancelled and you are unlikely to be accommodated in another service. You are at the mercy of SQ.

Linking the PNRs has no substantive effect. It is done in a free form field in the booking. Whether someone chooses to read it or not is up to them, but importantly it wlhas no real meaning.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite

Linking the PNRs has no substantive effect. It is done in a free form field in the booking. Whether someone chooses to read it or not is up to them, but importantly it wlhas no real meaning.
Generally would agree with you here and would never bother contacting an airline about this myself.

However, last month had EI DUB-MAN and SQ MAN-SIN on separate tickets. TA linked those bookings, which led to 2 things:
1) Had difficulty checking my bag using SSCI kiosks at DUB airport
2) EI check-in checked the bag through to SQ, assuming this was a single booking
Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
Originally Posted by nanyang

Enjoy the flights!
I'm doing something similar but on 3 tickets on 3 airlines. TUL-MSP-JFK on DL, then JFK-FRA on SQ, then FRA-BCN on LH. Any chance that DL would check my bags thru to SQ?

Or if not, would SQ check them from JFK thru to BCN as those segments are both *A?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
What is the time between these flights? Are you aware that, if your inbound to SIN is very late or cancelled, or for whatever reason you do not present yourself for your SQ flight on time, the entire ticket will be cancelled and you are unlikely to be accommodated in another service. You are at the mercy of SQ.

The paid ticket is also with SQ, does this make a difference? We leave BKK at 15:40 & arrive at 19:10. SQ26 leaves SIN at 23:55. That should be enough time I would think/hope.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

UPDATE

I spoke with KF and was told that it us up to the staff at BKK whether to check my bags through to JFK. I assume I can check in for the reward flight online 24 hours prior to departure. So if they don't check my bags through I have to get them SIN and go to check-in. I think I may change to 12:15 BKK departure just in case of delays. :-(
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
The paid ticket is also with SQ, does this make a difference? We leave BKK at 15:40 & arrive at 19:10. SQ26 leaves SIN at 23:55. That should be enough time I would think/hope.
Dude, that's nearly 5 hours. I don't think you need to leave any earlier...unless you just want to spend extra time in the SQ lounge. I've heard its nice. :-)
Old Jun 22, 2017, 5:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
It makes no difference at all. They are two completely separate tickets so you need to be aware that there is a remote chance that things do no go according to plan.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:41 am

I spoke with KF and was told that it us up to the staff at BKK whether to check my bags through to JFK. I assume I can check in for the reward flight online 24 hours prior to departure. So if they don't check my bags through I have to get them SIN and go to check-in. I think I may change to 12:15 BKK departure just in case of delays. :-(
I wouldn't worry too much. They will almost certainly check your bags through. Even if they don't, you will have more than enough time at SIN.

You could of course take the earlier flight if there is something you want to see in Singapore - which is a great city BTW.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by bbriscoe34
I'm doing something similar but on 3 tickets on 3 airlines. TUL-MSP-JFK on DL, then JFK-FRA on SQ, then FRA-BCN on LH. Any chance that DL would check my bags thru to SQ?

Or if not, would SQ check them from JFK thru to BCN as those segments are both *A?
I fly DL max once a year and not qualified to comment on this. All I can say is that my experience with UA in similar situations is mixed - so would not count on them doing this.

As for SQ outstations, I would say they tend to be better than most airlines on this front. Based on some brief interactions with SQ's check-in at JFK, the experience is around a million times better than UA at EWR, for example.

--> Definitely worth asking both DL (and SQ if needed)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.