Wiki Posts
Search

Elite Gold Member Renewal

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2017, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer
Elite Gold Member Renewal

I'm short of 10K miles towards renewal of my gold membership due by end of June 2017.
Any idea if Krisflyer will accept the renewal if I write in to negotiate?
How strict is kris flyer to renew the gold membership?

By the way I do have an upcoming flight to LA in early Oct.
I also have a biz trip to Shanghai and Ho Chi Minh in Aug. But usually for Biz, my company will do a last min booking.

Will Krisflyer allow renewal without hitting 50K with those trips booked?
Old May 27, 2017, 9:07 am

No chance.
Old May 27, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: KF*G, Cathay Silver
SQ does accept such renewals if one is 10 or 100 miles short based anecdotal evidence from colleagues. I think 10K is not going to happen unfortunately. (especially from SQ!)
Old May 27, 2017, 8:12 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
not that i have experience in all FFPs, but i highly doubt any airline in the world will be lenient enough to disregard what is equivalent to 20% of a qualifying requirement..
Old May 27, 2017, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

I do know SQ will extend 3 months to renewal. They did that for my previous year. However after 3 month I may still short of 1K miles to qualify. Just wondering if they will give the gold membership if it's like 1-2K miles left to qualify.

Last edited by freqflyer8; May 27, 2017 at 11:57 pm
Old May 28, 2017, 12:06 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by natcin
not that i have experience in all FFPs, but i highly doubt any airline in the world will be lenient enough to disregard what is equivalent to 20% of a qualifying requirement..
Some do, as a once off, in some circumstances - by looking at an average over an extended period of time instead (for example, QF have known to be lenient in extending status if three year average still exceeds the annual requalification requirement, even though the last year falls short). I don't think SQ fall into that category though.
Old May 28, 2017, 1:11 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by lokijuh
Some do, as a once off, in some circumstances - by looking at an average over an extended period of time instead (for example, QF have known to be lenient in extending status if three year average still exceeds the annual requalification requirement, even though the last year falls short). I don't think SQ fall into that category though.
thanks. good to know. actually sounds like another different way of executing 'carry-over' qualifying miles, though just a one-off/case-by-case as you mentioned.
Old May 28, 2017, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by freqflyer8
Any idea if Krisflyer will accept the renewal if I write in to negotiate?
NO WAY.

How strict is kris flyer to renew the gold membership?
Strict. This does not only happen to SQ, but also all other airlines as well. The best a program can do is less than 1K missing.

Will Krisflyer allow renewal without hitting 50K with those trips booked?
Seriously, if this worked, I could be a PPS.

Bottom line - find a cheap UA ticket to the U.S. or kiss goodbye to your KF*G.
Old May 29, 2017, 5:06 am

Programs: KF EG
even if you do not hit 50k by June 2017, you can still get Gold if you accumulate 50k miles within any consecutive 12 months (eg Aug 16-Jul 17, or Sep 16-Aug 17 etc)
if you earned for example 5k miles in July 2016(which will expire in June 2017), you will then have to get 15k miles by July 2017 (10k +expired 5k) to re-qualify for Gold

i did this last year. failed to re-qualify during my EG status, lost my Gold for a few months and then I got it after I schedule a few business trips to fit within 12 consecutive months

you can just check your elite miles earned for Jun,Jul,Aug 2016 and factor in those expired miles plus your shortfall of 10k for your coming trips in Aug. you may be still able to requalify in Aug or Oct

Last edited by Kelvin L; May 29, 2017 at 5:12 am
Old May 29, 2017, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kelvin L
even if you do not hit 50k by June 2017, you can still get Gold if you accumulate 50k miles within any consecutive 12 months (eg Aug 16-Jul 17, or Sep 16-Aug 17 etc)
if you earned for example 5k miles in July 2016(which will expire in June 2017), you will then have to get 15k miles by July 2017 (10k +expired 5k) to re-qualify for Gold

i did this last year. failed to re-qualify during my EG status, lost my Gold for a few months and then I got it after I schedule a few business trips to fit within 12 consecutive months

you can just check your elite miles earned for Jun,Jul,Aug 2016 and factor in those expired miles plus your shortfall of 10k for your coming trips in Aug. you may be still able to requalify in Aug or Oct
That makes sense! Thanks for the advise. I will end up be qualified for a gold again when I completed my US trip.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:15 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Gold, CO Gold
To requalify for Gold, I have to reach 50k miles by Mar 31, 2018. Let's assume I surpass 50k miles by Dec 31, 2017, according to the SQ requalification counter on their website, and then continue to accrue miles in q1/2018. How will this affect my requalification period?

Is my new requalification requirement now to reach 50k new miles by Dec 31, 2018? And the miles I fly in q1/2018 contribute towards this goal? Naturally, I want to avoid exceeding my 50k requirement by a wide margin during q1, and then have my requalification balance reset to zero on Apr 1, 2018. Many thanks in advance.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: QPPS
Your requalification starts from the last day of the month that you qualify for Gold. So in this case, your requalification period would be until Dec 31, 2018. Anything you earn after you qualify for Gold by Dec 31, 2017 will go towards requalification.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: KF*G, AB*G, IBP*G, LCAH*Plat, HH*D, ONYX*Plat, BW*DS
Originally Posted by Azhiwen
Your requalification starts from the last day of the month that you qualify for Gold. So in this case, your requalification period would be until Dec 31, 2018. Anything you earn after you qualify for Gold by Dec 31, 2017 will go towards requalification.
This is simply not true and has been discussed many times in this forum. Any miles earned beyond the 50k mark and before end of your qualification period will NOT count towards re-qualification. At the end of the qualification period, your Gold membership will be extended by 1 year and the counter reset to 0.
jope_taco likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by jope_taco
To requalify for Gold, I have to reach 50k miles by Mar 31, 2018. Let's assume I surpass 50k miles by Dec 31, 2017, according to the SQ requalification counter on their website, and then continue to accrue miles in q1/2018. How will this affect my requalification period?
No effect.

Originally Posted by jope_taco
Is my new requalification requirement now to reach 50k new miles by Dec 31, 2018? And the miles I fly in q1/2018 contribute towards this goal? Naturally, I want to avoid exceeding my 50k requirement by a wide margin during q1, and then have my requalification balance reset to zero on Apr 1, 2018. Many thanks in advance.
No. No.
jope_taco likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:17 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, BA Silver
If you are already gold, your requalification period will not change even if you reached 50k miles early. Any excess is simply wasted, unfortunately, unlike PPS club where the excess is kept as reserve for the following year's requalification.
jope_taco likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.