Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Singapore all the way or split with Cathay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2017, 9:32 pm
THR
Original Poster

Hi all,

I am planning a European vacation for next year. We have enough points to fly SYD-CDG Singapore Suites first all the way (perhaps with a stopover in Singapore), or, alternatively, from SYD-HKG (via SIN), and then Cathay first to CDG. With either route, we would have a stopover (SIN or HKG).

I have never flown SQ suites; but at least would have the experience from SYD-SIN-HKG if we chose the Cathay.

For completeness, we will be returning on Etihad apartments.

All subject to availability, of course.

Anyone have opinions on what they would do? This would give us variety of first on three airlines, which I like the idea of, but suites all the way to CDG might be nice...

Opinions welcome
Old May 13, 2017, 11:59 pm

I'm doing SQ Suites SYD-SIN-HKG then CX F to ZRH in 2 weeks time. Depends if you like a bit of a journey or a more direct routing. As you are asking the question I'm guessing you're the same.
Old May 14, 2017, 12:06 am

I would personally go for SQ suites + CX first if (1) time is of no object to incorporate the extra SIN-HKG leg, especially if this provides an ability to stopover in HKG and (2) for the sheer variety of experience.
Old May 14, 2017, 12:18 am
THR
Original Poster

Thanks. Time is not an object as we can/would stopover for a few days in Hong Kong. Plus, if we book one year out, which we will, it seems there is okay availability (to Paris, Zurich, London; we are flexible).

I am leaning towards the combination then.
Old May 14, 2017, 3:48 pm

Just so you can factor this in, CX does not commonly release more than 1 F seat in advance on its 77W fleet. If there are more than one of you (which the 'we' in your first post suggests) you might find you have to seat one in F and one in J on CX and hope that award seats open up in F the day before departure (not guaranteed). If you want to travel together, I'd suggest sticking to SQ.
Old May 14, 2017, 4:49 pm
THR
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Top of climb
Just so you can factor this in, CX does not commonly release more than 1 F seat in advance on its 77W fleet. If there are more than one of you (which the 'we' in your first post suggests) you might find you have to seat one in F and one in J on CX and hope that award seats open up in F the day before departure (not guaranteed). If you want to travel together, I'd suggest sticking to SQ.
Thanks for the information. And you are correct: there are two of us travelling.

I will definitely book the CX flight first, in that case, to ensure we can secure availability. On checking recently, it seemed that there were two available in F on many dates in April next year.

But yes, that will definitely weigh into our plans! As I want to book well in advance.
Old May 16, 2017, 11:16 pm

Programs: QR Gold, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, GHA Titanium, Taj Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by THR
Hi all,

I am planning a European vacation for next year. We have enough points to fly SYD-CDG Singapore Suites first all the way (perhaps with a stopover in Singapore), or, alternatively, from SYD-HKG (via SIN), and then Cathay first to CDG. With either route, we would have a stopover (SIN or HKG).

Splitting your journey to Paris between SQ and CX will of course mean it'll cost you many more points than flying just one of the two airlines all the way to Paris. But I assume this isn't a concern for you, given you are asking the question.
Old May 17, 2017, 3:29 pm
THR
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lifeonthego_k
Splitting your journey to Paris between SQ and CX will of course mean it'll cost you many more points than flying just one of the two airlines all the way to Paris. But I assume this isn't a concern for you, given you are asking the question.
Yeah, this is true. It will cost us a lot more SQ points per mile SYD-HKG, rather than direct to Europe. But I have some AA points I need to use and as CX don't fly F out of Australia, this is really the only option.

This is for a large four week vacation; and I'll accumulate enough points between now and then for any subsequent needs.
Old May 22, 2017, 4:25 pm
THR
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Top of climb
Just a thought on this. As you say, CX might be quite hard to book, especially since award availability on AA is 330 days, whereas CX and other partners can access earlier.

Therefore, I'm going to book SQ all the way to Europe, and see if award availability is made available; then I can cancel and book SQ to HKG. Do you think this is a good idea? I haven't booked SQ award before.
Old May 22, 2017, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by THR
Just a thought on this. As you say, CX might be quite hard to book, especially since award availability on AA is 330 days, whereas CX and other partners can access earlier.

Therefore, I'm going to book SQ all the way to Europe, and see if award availability is made available; then I can cancel and book SQ to HKG. Do you think this is a good idea? I haven't booked SQ award before.
Yes a bird in hand is always better than...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.