Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Confirmed: New A380 suites moving to upper deck

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Confirmed: New A380 suites moving to upper deck

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
when are they showing them? regardless of flights.

ausbt.com.au/singapore-airlines-new-airbus-a380-may-not-fly-until-early-2018
There is a press event on November 2 for the announcement of the new products, if this news is to be believed (which most likely is the case).

Also, I wonder which routes will lose the A380 for a period of time during the retrofit (if any).
Old Sep 1, 2017, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by TravelwhileyouEat
There is a press event on November 2 for the announcement of the new products, if this news is to be believed (which most likely is the case).

Also, I wonder which routes will lose the A380 for a period of time during the retrofit (if any).
https://www.ausbt.com.au/singapore-a...s-launch-nov-2

Hopefully there's more legroom in J.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TravelwhileyouEat
It is, we have the invite.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 6:55 pm

Any idea when SQ would start flying the new A380?
This year?

Tks!
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:21 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by djsflynn
It is, we have the invite.
I think the real question is when will the new A380 start servicing customers ...... Yes 2 November is the date to reveal the new A380 but there could be a few months before people can experience it ....
Old Sep 4, 2017, 1:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kamchatsky
I think the real question is when will the new A380 start servicing customers
Well the question I was answering was with regard to the Nov2 press event "if this news is to be believed".

Yes 2 November is the date to reveal the new A380 but there could be a few months before people can experience it
P'haps so, others here are more closely tracking the progress of SQ's new A380s so they'd be best to speculate on actual delivery. All we have is that SQ wouldn't be pinned down to even an 'end of 2017' timeframe, but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen before Dec31 for example.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:19 pm

Having a few question. Base on what I see there is a noticable difference between the new and old a380 window on the uper and lower deck. The new one will have the two-two-two window arrangement. If they manage to retrofit on all of their existing a380, would the old one window would be change too?
Old Oct 24, 2017, 2:59 am
THR

Unlikely they will retrofit to the old.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 5:12 am

Programs: SQ TPPS, BA Silver
Originally Posted by THR
Unlikely they will retrofit to the old.
?!???

SQ is definitely retrofitting their existing A380s to the new cabin products. The 5 new A380s are replacing the oldest 5, and it is planned that the 14 remaining will be retrofitted.

Can you really imagine them just designing an entire new product for a subfleet of 5?

As for window config, I believe literally everything will be refurbished, including overhead bins, toilets, wall panels, and galleys, especially since most of these will be in a different position on the new A380 layout. The same was done for the 77W fleet.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 6:08 am
THR

Sorry, I was specifically meaning the upper/lower deck aspect. They will maintain first class on the lower for the old that are retrofitted, I imagine?
Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by THR
Sorry, I was specifically meaning the upper/lower deck aspect. They will maintain first class on the lower for the old that are retrofitted, I imagine?
The existing A380s will be refurbished to the same layout as the new A380s, so Suites will be moved upstairs as well.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by pokfur
The existing A380s will be refurbished to the same layout as the new A380s, so Suites will be moved upstairs as well.
My take is the same: Suites will be removed from the old birds lower decks. If and when the refurbishment is completed, A380 will all have only 6 Suites on the upper deck.

There was some internal thought to fly A380 without any Suites which would see the space used for Premium Economy instead. I think this plan has been shelved.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:25 pm
THR

Right. I thought that they would need to reinforce the floor to support moving the seats upstairs, hence the possibility of maintaining them downstairs. But it makes sense to have consistency in the fleet.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by THR
Right. I thought that they would need to reinforce the floor to support moving the seats upstairs, hence the possibility of maintaining them downstairs. But it makes sense to have consistency in the fleet.
I'm not entirely sure but I heard that one reason SQ uses flip-down seats was that they were lighter, and required less maintenance since there wasn't a complex mechanism to lie-flat the seats.

Perhaps the new Suites are light enough. Also remember that there are only 6 seats in a space that could have seen many many more seats and human bums.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:20 pm

First flight: SQ 221 / 18 December 2017
Kilian Zoll likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.