Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Possility to get on a flight using standby?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2017, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Singapore Airlines, British Airways, South African Airways

I am booked on SQ flight from SIN to Tokyo Haneda on 13th April 2017 with a commercial Business Saver ticket. I asked if I could change to 8th April but was advised on the phone that this promotional fare was no longer available and I would have to pay in SGD1400 to make the change. There are still plenty of business seats available on this flight. My question is if I just pitch up at the airport on 8th and ask to go on standby do you think they would let me on without the increase? I am a PPS card holder of nearly ten years. Any other suggestions welcome
Old Mar 25, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: SQ TPPS, BA Silver
If you were talking about an earlier flight on the same day, perhaps there's a chance. But for 5 whole days earlier I don't think you should even bother!
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:27 am

Programs: A handful of shiny cards
It's difficult for replies to be helpful or for people to make suggestions when we know that it very rarely happens. So even people on FT may not know the circumstances where standby for an earlier flight may occur.

Honestly, even I had a chuckle when I read the question and my days of constantly flying Singapore ended in my teenage years.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 4:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Most of you will be surprised but SQ is indeed willing to waive ticket conditions for good PPS members. That can be anything from ticket validity to minimum stay and you would need to write in and appeal. As long as SQ is not of the view that you are gaming the system and you have a good track record of spending money (read: Lifetime PPS Value), SQ can be actually quite flexible.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
Have you tried to check if you are able to do a waitlist on the promotional fare? If the waitlist is not closed, ask to be put on the waitlist. From time to time, you can try to call to check if the waitlist can be cleared, especially if you are a PPS Club member.

Good luck!
Old Mar 27, 2017, 7:36 pm

I would follow hclee01 suggestion. Try to waitlist your fare class if possible or the next higher one provided you are willing to fork out the fare difference. You should receive confirmation a couple of days before scheduled departure, if loads remains low. If waitlist is not cleared 48 hours in advance, to my experience it will not get confirmed.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Singapore Airlines, British Airways, South African Airways
Successful result

Originally Posted by SMK77
Most of you will be surprised but SQ is indeed willing to waive ticket conditions for good PPS members. That can be anything from ticket validity to minimum stay and you would need to write in and appeal. As long as SQ is not of the view that you are gaming the system and you have a good track record of spending money (read: Lifetime PPS Value), SQ can be actually quite flexible.
Thank you for this advice and from others. I appealed the decision and SQ placed me on the next available flight on 8th April. So I only arrive a few hours after I wanted to!
Old Mar 30, 2017, 2:53 am

I am currently confirmed on SQ26 for 3/31 i called and got on the waitlist for today which is in about 8 hours. Todays flight looks like there is 3 seats left.

Couple Questions

Am i on the regular wait list like all of the other award bookings?

Do i have ANY chance of clearing or should i just give up?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:14 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by gobeavs8
Do i have ANY chance of clearing or should i just give up?
Functionally zero chance of waitlist clearing within 8 hrs of departure. Only very remote chance would be trek out to Changi and go standby .... but I wouldn't like your chances, and they may say can't go standby as ticket on different day.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 6:57 am

I remember I did a MEL-SIN sector in February 2016. I was on a particular fare class on SQ 228 the 4pm flight but I wanted to fly on the 1am flight on the same day (earlier). I eventually got a call from Melbourne Airport who cleared my list 4 hours before departure. So anything is possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.