Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

My first flight on SQ! LAX-NRT in J. A couple of Q

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2017, 12:07 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I'm looking forward to flying SQ. I've flown J and F on a few other airlines like CX, BA, LH. Always exciting to try new products.
Not being familiar with SQ, i've been doing some research about various aspects of the flight. I think i've found the answers but was hoping the SQ regulars could validate my conclusions.

Opening time of the Star Alliance Lounge at LAX - the star alliance website states that the lounge opens at 9 am but changes according to schedules. the NRT flight is at 10 am so a 9 am opening would be useless. However, Yelp, of all places, says that the lounge opens at 7:30 which makes more sense. I would assume that the lounge would open early enough to accommodate pax on the 10 am flight.

the Business Class Seat - I found a list of aircraft and their configurations on sqtalk.com. The seatmap on the SQ website shows three rows of J in the 773ER mini-cabin just behind F. My understanding is that when there are three rows of J, there is only one row of F and thus this is the latest generation of J seats. Is my assumption correct?

That's it for now but I'd be happy if any of you have suggestions or tips to make the most of the flight. thanks!
Old Feb 20, 2017, 12:39 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I forgot to ask one more question. As I live in Canada, I have an Aeroplan account with a decent balance. I was looking into the possibility of using some of those to upgrade my D fare J ticket to F and saw that SQ does not allow partner programs' miles to upgrade on the A380, 773ER, and a third one, was it A350?
I seem to have found some accounts of people using partner airmiles to upgrade closer to the flight. I'm wondering if this "rule" is not set in stone and might have some wiggle room. I guess if there are only four seats in F on the 773ER then the chances are quite slim that anything would open up at last minute and if it did, SQ's own KF members would have first dibs.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 11:47 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
I too have flown F & J on various airlines like CX, BA, AF, DL, KL, MU, AA and will also be flying SQ J next month for the first time! LAX-ICN-SIN-DPS.

Pretty stoked...got great Book The Cook meals chosen....
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:54 am

Programs: SQ TPPS, BA Silver
Sorry I can only answer one question which is that yes based on your seat map, you will be on the 77W with the new J seats. Enjoy it!

I would not worry about the lounge; I'm sure SQ has it all sorted out. If you really feel the need to know, drop them an email. They reply within a day or two.

I do agree that you will be last on the list when it comes to upgrading, and with just 4 seats, probably not worth spending time thinking about it. If this is your first time flying SQ's J, especially the new one, I think it will be a wonderful experience
Old Feb 21, 2017, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BenSenise
I forgot to ask one more question. As I live in Canada, I have an Aeroplan account with a decent balance. I was looking into the possibility of using some of those to upgrade my D fare J ticket to F and saw that SQ does not allow partner programs' miles to upgrade on the A380, 773ER, and a third one, was it A350?
I seem to have found some accounts of people using partner airmiles to upgrade closer to the flight. I'm wondering if this "rule" is not set in stone and might have some wiggle room. I guess if there are only four seats in F on the 773ER then the chances are quite slim that anything would open up at last minute and if it did, SQ's own KF members would have first dibs.
So you would like to book using Aeroplan points and not a revenue ticket? If you are using Aeroplan points then book the award in Business class. If the first class award opens up before departure call Aeroplan and pay the points difference to Aeroplan and book the F award.

When you use terms like D, J and F its is causing confusion as these are revenue fare classes.

Just a note that SQ is not going to upgrade you on an award ticket especially since this is not from your KF account but rather your Aeroplan account. Now if you are referring to a REVENUE ticket then yes you can upgrade by paying the fare difference between D or J to F class.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 9:06 am

I believe he is trying to use Aeroplan points to upgrade a revenue J ticket to First Class.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pokfur
I believe he is trying to use Aeroplan points to upgrade a revenue J ticket to First Class.

Aha, in that case, I do not see an upgrade from Business to First mentioned here.

Singapore Airlines (SQ) Economy class:
S, T or P booking class for upgrades on flights with Premium Economy only. Business class: Z, J or U booking classes

*Eligible booking classes:
Economy: Upgrades from Y or B
Business: Upgrades from C or D
Old Feb 21, 2017, 9:24 am

Whatever you have quoted means that you can upgrade from Business fare classes C, D, Z, J, or U into First Class, subject to award availability in First Class.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 11:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 355F1
Pretty stoked...got great Book The Cook meals chosen....
looking forward to hearing about it. our flight isn't until september.

Sorry I can only answer one question which is that yes based on your seat map, you will be on the 77W with the new J seats. Enjoy it!

I would not worry about the lounge; I'm sure SQ has it all sorted out. If you really feel the need to know, drop them an email. They reply within a day or two.

I do agree that you will be last on the list when it comes to upgrading, and with just 4 seats, probably not worth spending time thinking about it. If this is your first time flying SQ's J, especially the new one, I think it will be a wonderful experience
thanks for confirming the 2013 J product. i'll send an email to SQ as you suggested. I guess i'm too used to BA to even imagine that an airline would actually reply to an email! and alas, i know the chance of an upgrade to F would be virtually non-existent, especially for two. that's fine. just a kind of "what if."

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
So you would like to book using Aeroplan points and not a revenue ticket?

When you use terms like D, J and F its is causing confusion as these are revenue fare classes.
Our tickets D fare revenue tickets. USD2k LAX-NRT return.amazing deal.

ed zachary!

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Business: Upgrades from C or D
D. Bingo!

Whatever you have quoted means that you can upgrade from Business fare classes C, D, Z, J, or U into First Class, subject to award availability in First Class.
The only thing is that SQ states that they do not allow Star Alliance partner programs to upgrade on their A380, 777ER, and a third which i think might have been the A350.

all is good. looking forward to the flight and the trip. haven't been to japan for a long, long time.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good luck hope you enjoy your trip, SQ is good in Business, and of course First is always preferred but they are a good airline.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 12:01 am

Programs: krisflyer, hilton, ihg, accor
For LAX-NRT, or vice versa, business class is on upper floor, first class suite is on first floor. (I mean upper or lower cabin). I have tried both. Business class is flat seat so you can sleep all the way too even not in First class suite. Business class in Singapore Airline is better than first class of Cathay Pacific. I have tried first class of Cathay Pacific in both Europe-Asia and US-Asia. That's my conclusion. The drink list selection has cocktails and mocktails. I like that better than the red wine selection in CP first class.

Any seat here is good. First row allows baby so if you don't like noise pick a row a little back.

Originally Posted by BenSenise
I'm looking forward to flying SQ. I've flown J and F on a few other airlines like CX, BA, LH. Always exciting to try new products.
Not being familiar with SQ, i've been doing some research about various aspects of the flight. I think i've found the answers but was hoping the SQ regulars could validate my conclusions.

Opening time of the Star Alliance Lounge at LAX - the star alliance website states that the lounge opens at 9 am but changes according to schedules. the NRT flight is at 10 am so a 9 am opening would be useless. However, Yelp, of all places, says that the lounge opens at 7:30 which makes more sense. I would assume that the lounge would open early enough to accommodate pax on the 10 am flight.

the Business Class Seat - I found a list of aircraft and their configurations on sqtalk.com. The seatmap on the SQ website shows three rows of J in the 773ER mini-cabin just behind F. My understanding is that when there are three rows of J, there is only one row of F and thus this is the latest generation of J seats. Is my assumption correct?

That's it for now but I'd be happy if any of you have suggestions or tips to make the most of the flight. thanks!
Old Feb 27, 2017, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by NotTellYou
For LAX-NRT, or vice versa, business class is on upper floor, first class suite is on first floor.
This route has gone 77W so no more upper/lower deck of the A380 anymore. For J passengers I say this is an upgrade, as I personally much much prefer the new J seats compared to old ones.

The old one's not bad but if there's a better one then why not!
Old Feb 27, 2017, 1:59 am

To process a Star Alliance upgrade (which is what you're trying to do) there must be O space for first class for that particular partner (Aeroplan) which there never is, so your chances unfortunately are nil.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 11:02 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NotTellYou
Business class in Singapore Airline is better than first class of Cathay Pacific. I have tried first class of Cathay Pacific in both Europe-Asia and US-Asia. That's my conclusion.
wow, i can't wait for that then. i was blown away by CX F.

Originally Posted by belfordrocks
To process a Star Alliance upgrade (which is what you're trying to do) there must be O space for first class for that particular partner (Aeroplan) which there never is, so your chances unfortunately are nil.
thanks for that. i figured that it was highly unlikely if not impossible. another thing that i have considered is that it's 75k AP miles to upgrade. Not really worth it. i could do a lot of other things with those miles.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Once you book your ticket, book your meal!
SQ has Book the Cook, with an expanded menu. Access through SQ website.

I like the lobster thermador myself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.