Award redemption basic questions

Old Feb 17, 2017, 5:29 am
TA
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM
Award redemption basic questions

Hi all - I am usually a UA flier, so hope you can help me with some admittedly basic questions about redeeming KF miles (which I am newly acquiring through credit cards, etc in hopes of scoring a nice J/F seat some day):

1. Where can I find a table / list of the award booking and cancellation or date change fees that KF charges? The website is not clear about this at all and only in the FAQs do I find brief mentions about SG$30 for cancelling bookings, but no other information about ticket changes. I would mostly like to understand what costs there are if I want to hold something for fear of not losing the J/F space, and the ability to change dates without penalty, or if plans change.

2. If I am interested in HKG-SFO-(EWR) and I can see SQ award availability on the first leg, how do I search for the Jetblue or Virgin codeshare for the US domestic portion? Is this not possible to book online, and will it cause me to lose the 15% online booking discount? Does this still count as KF redemption rates, or does it change to become a *A award? The web search form does not even offer the option of EWR as an award destination - how then is it possible to book *A awards?

3. Is there any faster way of searching for actual J / F space on the website other than putting in one specific date and waiting 30 seconds for the search results to be returned? Is there some calendar function that can show actual (not waitlist) availability on a given route, a whole month at a time? Why is this so painful / is it faster just to call an agent and ask them to tell me the first available date for redemption on a given route?

Thank you very much!

Last edited by TA; Feb 17, 2017 at 5:51 am
Old Feb 17, 2017, 7:15 am

Date changes are free. Routing changes are $30. That info is definitely on their website. Google Singapore award fees and you'll find it.

Singapore has multiple award charts. The 15% discount is for itineraries only on KF metal. Once you mix carriers you have to go by the partner award chart which offers no discount, costs more miles, and cannot be booked online. And no there is no calendar search method. You'll need to just keep pushing "next day" to see what shows up.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 3:28 am
TA
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM
Thanks for the information!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.