Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to SQ upgrade/awards

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2017, 9:07 am
Original Poster

New to SQ upgrade/awards

Hi, I'm trying to weigh various options with redeeming UR for an upgrade award and realized SQ was a viable option that I neglected to consider. I'm not very familiar with SQ's policies and wanted to ask whether I have this right.

Trying to book a one-way premium econ ticket LAX-ICN (or ICN-LAX) for two sometime in September.

I searched on SQ and it costs about $2300. Reason why I said PE is because I'd like to use some points I have to upgrade the tickets to J, do I have it right that it would cost around 70k KrisFlyer miles to upgrade the two tickets to J (assuming the seats are available)?

Also, can this be done immediately from purchase of the PE tickets? I know awards can disappear quickly, so I want to, if possible, purchase the tickets then upgrade them immediately with UR-->KrisFlyer points. Are there any other fees or things I'm missing? Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 11:23 am

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singa...-question.html
Old Feb 10, 2017, 11:31 am

Yes, you can upgrade but you have to make sure the Fare Code you purchase ALLOWS the ability to upgrade.

IMO, you are spending WAYYY too much to get in to a J seat. You can get a J seat one way for 65,875 points + 196 USD when booked online. I see that you have a travel companion and would suggest they get their own Chase card to transfer the points and do it independently. J availability is plenty for ICN - LAX (or vv) route.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum/MM, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hilton HHonors Gold
Question: I'm booked SQ D and was thinking I would try to transfer AMEX points to SilverKris to upgrade to Suites on my flight home (SQ 26 SIN-JFK). I want to earn miles on UA and currently have my MP number in the booking. Can I switch to my SilverKris number to upgrade, then back to UA to earn on the flight?
Old Mar 4, 2017, 10:23 pm

Programs: KF*G, AB*G, IBP*G, LCAH*Plat, HH*D, ONYX*Plat, BW*DS
Originally Posted by JDS@LAX
Question: I'm booked SQ D and was thinking I would try to transfer AMEX points to SilverKris to upgrade to Suites on my flight home (SQ 26 SIN-JFK). I want to earn miles on UA and currently have my MP number in the booking. Can I switch to my SilverKris number to upgrade, then back to UA to earn on the flight?
Upgrading can be done on the Manage Booking page, irrespective of your quoted FFP number on the booking. So you should be able to keep your UA MP number on the booking while requesting the upgrade.

To be on the safe side, I always check at the counter whether the correct FFP number is stated on the BP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.